Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so here's the deal. I bought a 2002 sv650 as my first bike about a month ago and I crashed it... crazy I know. But it was a small crash, no terrible damage that I can see. I need to replace the rear brake petal, the handlebars and the frame sliders. it also put a dent in the gas tank from where the handle bars hit. I let the bike down at about 5 to 10 mph and it slid maybe 3 feet. Nothing terrible there. I was going to ride it the rest of the way home but then when I tried to start it, the bike would crank for a couple seconds (1 to 2), not catch and stop cranking. And so a couple guys tried to help me pop start it in second gear, but that didnt work. I left it there overnight, went to pick it up the next morning with a trailer. And it still did the same thing where it would crank, not catch, and then stop. It sounded like there was not enough power going to the starter but what do I know? This is my first bike. Also one other note is that whenever I hit the brake it dims the lights for a second, which I thought was weird, so I got a battery tender, and charged it till the battery said it was full, but I did that after I got it home, still no dice. But back to the story, so I loaded it up and I brought it home. When i got home it wouldnt even crank. There is no like tip sensor in the gen 1 sv. So I have no idea what is wrong. I also let it down on the right side if that matters at all. If you think that you know what might be wrong, please let me know, because I have no idea what I'm doing, thank you!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
A good battery ought to turn the engine over for quite a while. If it sounds sluggish and only goes a few turns, especially after being charged, it's probably toast.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Standard wet cell batteries can be damaged by impact or by tipping them. You may have killed your battery when you dropped the bike. AGM batteries are better at surviving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If my
Standard wet cell batteries can be damaged by impact or by tipping them. You may have killed your battery when you dropped the bike. AGM batteries are better at surviving.
If the battery was bad would my lights still work? Because my headlight, brake light, dash lights, and blinkers all turn on

·
Registered
14 Posts
If my

If the battery was bad would my lights still work? Because my headlight, brake light, dash lights, and blinkers all turn on
Possibly. The lights take a lot less power to run than the starter motor. Unless you have a multimeter or voltmeter to test the battery when it's sitting and when you're trying to crank the motor, you'll either have to take it to someone who can have a look or just replace the battery yourself first and see if that fixes the problem. Even if you take it to someone, they'll test it and if they find the battery toast you'll have to pay them to supply and fit one anyway, so you can skip that step by replacing it yourself. They're not very expensive compared to the other parts you're going to need to replace, if you buy new. Obviously second hand parts will be cheaper, but that's off topic...

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Check the clutch interlock switch connector (up near the clutch lever). If it's come disconnected the bike won't start.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
If my

Yes its possible for a battery to have enough charge to power a small load but die when a large load like the starter is applied.

If you have a volt meter there are some tests you can run to help diagnose.

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
If the starter motor cranks but the engine just doesn't start then the clutch switch is ok.

Maybe the key was left in the On position for a while after the crash? That would cause the battery to go down.

That combined with lots of cranking due to possible flooding with the carbs on their side would discharge the battery even further.

The green light on the battery tender is a superficial test and will not tell you if the battery is good or not. The only way to know is do a load test.

Try charge the battery overnight then try to start again. Maybe remove the plugs to see if they are gas fouled.

A small crash like that should not have done anything serious to prevent the bike from starting.

As GC said, if you have a voltmeter, folks here can help you test further if necessary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys so much! I checked the clutch switch and it must have come partially unplugged when I crashed and still delivered some power to the starter but on my way home it must have jiggled out and disconnected. So I put it back in and it fires right up!

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
Glad you got it working, J-man. It is so nice to hear a bike fire up after a simple fix. (y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts