Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok today it finaly happend. After only 1 month of riding my new bike I crashed. Was riding the Lake Beryessa route when I blew a turn. Too much brake stood the bike up and right into the side of the road. All I can say is that luckily I was able to walk and ride away. My helmet gloves and jacket saved me, but the jeans did not. As far as bike damage goes so far looks only cosmetics. Need upper cowling, left rear cowl, left mirror, clutch shifter and lever, both bar ends, front fender and the worste part yet a radiator. Does anyone know of a good shop in Sacramento or near here? thinking of fixing all my self rather than make a insurance claim. Will post pics soon of bike and the damage my gear took. Ride safe all and hope to be joining you all again soon.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would recommend going to folsom cycle off of east bidwell. They have a shop and have good prices on parts if you want to do it yourself. They are now a kawi and suzuki dealer also. Glad u are ok!

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok. How are the legs doing? I've often wondered what would happen to me since I only wear jeans, no leather's on the legs. Does your insurance go up a ton for something like this, if you claim it?? The only reason I ask is because i wonder what is the reason for having insurance if most people just fix their stuff themselves? I'm just curious, i dont know much about motorcycle insurance.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Glad you're OK.

05SVS said:
what is the reason for having insurance if most people just fix their stuff themselves? I'm just curious, i dont know much about motorcycle insurance.
Are you serious ?

Uh, other peoples property your bike plowed through when you wrecked it, other peoples medical bills if they get hurt...many reasons. The least important thing that insurance does is fix your bike if you crash it.

Gotta have insurance.

Sorry to sound snippy, but I am amazed at the number of riders that don't have insurance (not saying you don't). Its like the comment, I just bought a new bike, but now I can't afford the gear. Buy the gear first, then what $ you have left, buy a bike.

*gets off soapbox*

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Legs are ok. Just have a deep cut in my left knee. Looks knarly but nothing as bad as a kid crashing on bikes, or skateboard. Yes I was lucky, I should post the pics of my jeans, torn all up. The ride home boxers fully exsposed (clam down ladies) :lol: Have to say this though, I did go over the front of the bike w/ my head hitting a rock when I landed. My HJC Ac-11 held up like a champ. The visor broke but no head injurys. SAme goes for my Frank Thomas Jacket. Left should took alot of impact. The leather is scraped and my shoulder is sore but thats it. And my gloves +1. Cortex carbon fiber, no hand rash.

As far as insurance is concerned I'm still contimplating. I checked my bike out and I could fix her myself like new minus the radiator, for $715. Or pay my $500 deduct. and get the whole bike fixed like new? I'm also wondering how much my rates would go up. Is it worth claiming? So if anyone has any idea let me know too!

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
replace broken parts with ebay.. and take a riding class

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
LOL, weedking, I didnt mean i dont have insurance. I was asking whats the point in having it, if people done use it when they crash. I have 250 500, i'm a firm believer in full coverage, always have, always will be. Car/Bike, whatever. I was just asking because most people say to fix the bike out of pocket when if you had insurance cover it...it would all get done for the price of your deduct. and hopefully get done by a professional. I cant imagine rates would go up that high unless it becomes a theme right? The only claim i've had was in my old car, someone jacked my subs/amp out of my crappy little sundance. Ended up making more than I paid for the stuff though so that was nice. :twisted:

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
a lot of insurance companies nowadays will drop you if you have more than one accident or ticket on your record. thats a good reason NOT to claim a minor crash such as this. now, if the bike is totalled, then yes, it would be in your best interest to make a claim.

D

·
0 Posts
glad to hear your alright, definately fix the bike yourself, insurance will kill you in the long run. i live in vancouver BC, last year i lowsided my sv on a downhill S series of curves on the Sea to Sky highway (closest we get to the legendary twisties found in california) hit the ground at just under 100km/h, i now have an 8 inch scar on my left knee. buy a suit or textile pants, it's so worth it...

·
Registered
153 Posts
That sucks man! I hope you heal up quick and get that bike on the road soon.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Damn. Sorry you spilled.

The important thing is that you know what you did wrong... do you? Go back and figure out what happened so you know what to avoid for the next time.

Glad you had gear ('cept legs), glad you're going to be all right.

·
Registered
179 Posts
05SVS said:
Glad to hear you are ok. How are the legs doing? I've often wondered what would happen to me since I only wear jeans, no leather's on the legs. Does your insurance go up a ton for something like this, if you claim it?? The only reason I ask is because i wonder what is the reason for having insurance if most people just fix their stuff themselves? I'm just curious, i dont know much about motorcycle insurance.
Insurace will either drop you or rape you. The reason you carry insurance is to cover your medical or if it gets stolen, or to cover the other jerk if you get in an accident. If you make a claim and it's your fault, they will hose you.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Ah, thats good to know. :shock: Kind of sucks though. I go through State Farm and from what i hear (even with cars), if you mess up, they give you the boot. My friend got a alchohol related reckless endangerment (bascially got out of a DUI, but had the same fine and license suspension etc) and they dropped him on his a*$ like that. Though he deserved it, he was being stupid. But anyways, you'd think you'd get at least 2 accidents before they started screwing you over. thats frustrating.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Odd, Ive had a number of minor auto accidents with state farm and I still havent been dropped. Though I think only 2 were on my rolling 3 year record at any one time though.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just went through this with State Farm last summer, had a lowside/flip to highside with about $1100.00 damage with o.e. parts. State Farm policy is: no more than 2 "chargable" claims within a 3 year span, or you get dropped! A "chargable " accident means they pay out anything over $1000.00, so you have that amount plus your deductible before it`s a chargable claim. But, play dumb and ask your agent, 'what if I ever had an accident'----I have found different offices will consider your deductible as part of the claim, therefore only allowing you to use a lesser amount before they tag you----mine did not, I claimed $1050.00 without helmet, had the Sukuki shop print an estimate, got paid, fixed bike like new, no premium increase------insurance well worth it!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cheap parts-Ebay.Be patient and you'll find what you are looking for however the stock mirrors look ugly anyway replace with bar end ones.Plastic damage? Consider strret fighter look.Bare and minimal. Why try to make it boring and like everyone's bike.Be bold and original.That said I am glad you are ok.You should seriously consider taking advance riding class and know your limits and the bikes.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its 5 days since the crash. I ended up more banged up than I thought I was. Had surgery on my left thumb yesterday, for torn legemints. Stuck in a cast for 4-6 weeks. :cry: My knee is meated up but feels good. The rest of me is 100%. So i figure I got time to put my ride back together.

Since I have to get almost all new fairings I decided I would buy unpainted. Then have them sprayed black, the stock black on the Sv1000. Now I can have the bike color I always wanted. Ifigured my wreck didn't help the resale value, so this bike is a keeper till she blows up. Thats why i wasn't concernd about changing the color.

My question is how do I go about preping my tank for paint, and a already painted fairing?

So what do you guys think, good idea or bad?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts