Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Been down 3 times with woodcrafts. Please post your experiences with these rearsets and your opinion on your own personal crash tests with these.

1st crash highsided onto RHS: peg bent into swingarm and stayed put. Peg was ground down 3/4" flat, bracket was folded in and cracked at the bolted connection. brake lever was S-shaped & tip was rashed up.

2nd crash lowside + bike flip onto LHS: peg was ground down 3/4" at 45 deg angle and Bracket completely sheared off. Rearset was dangling by bent in half shift rod.

3rd crash lowside onto RHS: peg was ground down 1/2" flat, Bracket is S-shaped & moderate cracking at the bolted points. brake lever also S-shaped & slight rash at brake lever tip.

From my experiences I feel like the rearsets have somewhat done their job. The 7075 aluminum ductility is excellent. My armchair opinion on the performance is that the brackets could stand to be made stronger. But with greater bracket strength comes more chance for shearing of the frame mounting tabs. Has CFM released any product testing info specific to the SV or otherwise? Please post your crash experiences with these rearsets!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
woodcraft--they're the strongest rearsets i've used besides the moto-r rearsets. the moto-r have crashed better than anything, and i've sent bikes down the track on woodcraft, moto-r, and vortex. if they made them too strong, then they'd end up bending your frame mount tabs, and that would be way worse.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh and I am misguided on the materials used. CFM uses 6061 for all their rearset parts as well as motor-r. probably because its easier to machine and cheaper. I guess I never really particularly cared for anything made by vortex.

Do you still use the Moto-r rearsets? from the look of those on the speedwerks website the mounting bracket looks MUCH thicker. I guess thats what I'm interested in. Another competent design that is more 'crash-worthy' than the woodcrafts. I'd like to see the woodcrafts crash better and for the price they are cheaper than the moto-r, if only they held the same geometry as the moto-r's in the bracket they may crash a lot better.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
one lowside onto rhs. Peg ground down to about 3 inches long, but no damage to brackets. I am surprised to hear they are 7075, as the rhs was not as stiff as I would have liked when hanging off.

·
Registered
211 Posts
From my experiences I feel like the rearsets have somewhat done their job. The 7075 aluminum ductility is excellent. My armchair opinion on the performance is that the brackets could stand to be made stronger. But with greater bracket strength comes more chance for shearing of the frame mounting tabs. Has CFM released any product testing info specific to the SV or otherwise? Please post your crash experiences with these rearsets!
I'm a little confused by this post. I thought rearset's purpose were to give more clearance in turning by moving the placement of the footpeg further up and back. Are you saying you feel each brand is only somewhat doing this? ???

I personally think all three brands do an excellent job of providing this and do what they are intended to. I wasn't aware of rearsets role in abraison protection. I would rather have my peg break off on impact, it is only 40 bucks for another peg or 150 for an entire side of a rearset. Not having it break away would do more damage to your bike and wind up costing you more money in the long run as it rips your frame apart when a peg catches on curbing or in the dirt during a crash.

Z

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm a little confused by this post. I thought rearset's purpose were to give more clearance in turning by moving the placement of the footpeg further up and back. Are you saying you feel each brand is only somewhat doing this? ???

I personally think all three brands do an excellent job of providing this and do what they are intended to. I wasn't aware of rearsets role in abraison protection. I would rather have my peg break off on impact, it is only 40 bucks for another peg or 150 for an entire side of a rearset. Not having it break away would do more damage to your bike and wind up costing you more money in the long run as it rips your frame apart when a peg catches on curbing or in the dirt during a crash.

Z
I guess I've never looked at role of a fixed post rearset as just a single benefit. I've always pictured the role of racing parts as parts that are lighter, more ergonomic and that crash well. I've seen plenty of races where guys have fallen and gotten back on their bikes to finish the race.

Also I would prefer that rearsets be kinda like secondary frame sliders because there's obvious benefits to it. Make the bracket stronger for the sake of damage to bodywork, exhaust, frame and the ability to get back on the bike to ride again after a crash. To me this is a no brainer and I would prefer that my pegs be made out of grip tape covered frame sliders. :BIG TOOTHY GRIN:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
one lowside onto rhs. Peg ground down to about 3 inches long, but no damage to brackets. I am surprised to hear they are 7075, as the rhs was not as stiff as I would have liked when hanging off.
I'm assuming your talking about woodcrafts, Very suprised to hear the peg was ground down that far and no damage was done to the bracket. was the bike on level ground and did it stay on level ground during the entire lowside? They are 6061 T6 aluminum. You can feel them flex when hanging off? That actually doesnt suprise me too much, I'm close to 210lbs in gear. How much do you weigh?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
more or less level ground, it slid across the track for about 25 feet before it went into the gravel traps. I weighed about 160 at the time. Yes I could feel a great deal of flex on the right hand side rearset, I really like to twist my heels into the heelguards when I hang off because it makes me feel more secure on the bike. I picked up a set of blair's sv racing rearsets and that eliminated the flex.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts