Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But my poor SV is not.

Cliff's notes version (learning something from eisenfaust):
See Flathead's new tire.  See Flathead rail.  See Flathead lowside.
Don't be a Flathead.

70 miles on new rear tire, slid out on a left hander.  SV (and Flatline) introduce selves to Mr. Guard Rail.  Flatline in full gear has a bruised back, SV has smashed and/or heavily pranged headlight assembly & instrument panel, dented tank, busticated tail assembly.  No frame or radiator damage, thanks Nate!  Pictures will follow at a later date.  Hey, that rhymed.

Longer version:

I had a great morning, washed and waxed my SV...oh, sweet irony.  My son and I went to a street rod show near my house for a few hours, including probably 45 minutes worth on the swings and slides for him.  I came home, changed into my leathers, and headed for the Corydon Pike.  I'd just put on a new rear about 70 miles ago and had a new front in the shop, just waiting for my front stand to come in to change it.  I figured the rear had been scrubbed in enough to go have a little fun before I put the front on and had to slow down again.  I figured wrong.

I entered a hard left hander with a decreasing radius (Dave and others, the first left at the bottom of the Pike, going upward) and was on the throttle.  I've been on this road many a time, and if anything I was taking it a little easier than usual.  I had good lane positioning, was taking a good line, I was hanging off to reduce my lean, and I was rolling on the throttle.  As I increased my lean angle to take the decreasing section of the turn, the next thing I know the bike was out from under me.  I didn't drag a knee or a peg...well, at least BEFORE I went horizontal.  I didn't feel any feedback from the front.  I just...went down, and the bike kicked quite a bit out to the right instead of sliding straight along like you'd normally see in a front tire tuck.  I really believe it was totally rider error in failing to take it easy enough on a new tire. 

So, the bike slides uphill and leaves some pretty blue paint on the guardrail.  I'm not sure exactly how it impacted, because at the time I was sliding on my palms and watching my own ass head toward the rail.  *thunk*  I hit the rail on my right lower back and hip. 

Anyway, a Harley rider that I'd passed as he was turning out of a parking lot several miles back pulled in behind me to check on me and helped me get the bike upright and check it over for leaks.  Thank you to Mr. Frank, whoever you are!  Several others stopped to check as well...including, eventually, a Floyd County Sheriff.  He asked me if I wanted to file a report.  I looked it over, hard, and finally said yes.  He was on his way home, but he said I could call in to his office on Monday and get the report. 

Now, the problem was WTF to do.  I was in a position where I couldn't really get a cell phone signal.  Worse than getting no signal at all, I was able to barely connect to my house, and my wife heard me say in a dejected voice "Well..." and bam, lost signal.  My wife, knowing that I didn't expect to be back for another hour or two, puts two and two together and freaks out.  I eventually asked the cop to radio back for someone to call her.  They did...and they told her I was ok but my bike was totalled.  So she heads out to find me, only barely knowing how to get there, when she passes me on the interstate headed back home.

The cop had waited for me to fire up the bike and followed me for a mile or two to make sure it was running.  After that, I had first thought to go to the closest dealership, but I only knew how to get there by getting back on the interstate, which I didn't think sounded all that great.  I tried to amble my way over there, got totally lost and (even more) flustered, and finally gave up and headed back home.

My wife did her 10 minutes of crying, then we looked over the damage and took an inventory.  I came in and checked eBay, Ron Ayers, and Oneida for parts prices.  I know from looking in the past that street tail sections on eBay are kind of hit and miss, and pristine tanks are pretty much impossible to find.  The parts, if bought new, would be roughly triple my insurance deductible.  I was also not entirely sure that my forks weren't tweaked or anything, which would require a little more expertise than I had.  So, I regretfully called it in to my insurance company. 

So, here at the end of the day I'm popping ibuprofen, sitting on a heating pad, beating myself up and watching Louisville lose to South Florida.   ::)  Other than feeling like I took a size 12 boot to the small of my back, I'm more or less fine.  I imagine from my right hip to my spine tomorrow will be an interesting shade of bluish green, but nothing broken or sprained or anything like that as far as I can tell.  My SV...well, I don't think it will be totalled, but I can't completely rule that out.  If it's not totalled, I'll repair it.  If it IS totalled, well...I don't know what I'll do. 

I returned to the accident scene to pick up a few broken pieces...the grab rail, a chunk of my windshield, etc....and to take some digital photos.  I'll take damage photos tomorrow and post them.  In the meantime, I'm just going to sit around mulling Fatass's quote from my sig, and try to learn from the experience and move on. 

Keep the rubber side down, folks.  *bonking self in the head*  THAT ESPECIALLY GOES FOR NEW RUBBER!

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Re: Crash Report -- Long (I'm OK)

Sorry to hear about your get-off, Chad, but glad you're ok. I've seen two fellow SVRiders go down this year (in front of me), so I'm familiar with how it goes. Good luck with the repairs, I'm sure some fellow board members will help you get fixed up. Just post up what you need. Good luck, and get back out there when you're ready.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts

Chad, I am so relieved that you are OK and just sore.

I would have thought that a tire is worn in with 70 miles on it though.

Don't feel bad, this is why you have insurance on your bike.

G

·

well thats cool that you are still walking.
lucky.
did ur helmet hit the ground?
and thats cool you had full coverage on the bike.
get back soon.
its horriable with out a bike..

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts

flat head is better than flat line anyday, at least you ok, bike can be repaired/replaced,

·
Registered
571 Posts

sorry to hear about your accident. but glad you made it through.

i also would have thought that a 70 mile run in on a new tire is enough. especially since i think the 100 mile reccommendation is a little overkill. guess i'll rethink that one.

i hate to be the bearer of more bad news though, but i guess you should be ready for it should it happen. be ready for the insurance company to tell you the bike is totalled. since i haven't seen pics of your bike, i can't be sure of all of your damage, but i'm going off of what happened to me last year after my wreck. i went down at the dragon and all in all it wasn't that bad. the list of damages included a snapped handlebar, broken gauge cluster, broken headlight and mounts, a couple slight dents in the tank, slightly dented muffler and various scratches on the tail plastics and front fender. luckily i also had frame sliders or it would have been much worse.

unfortunately, the insurance company did total it. the adjuster explained that they use OEM prices for all parts, and mark down any little thing that was damaged. also, he used a flat $75/hr labor rate when figuring in labor. so when adding in the high prices of OEM parts and the crazy labor rate it doesn't take long to eat up the cost of a motorcycle.

but if you have full coverage like i did, then it might not be that bad. i ended up getting a check for more than i paid for the bike. so i just paid off my loan and bought a new SVS this year. so in reality it could end up working out for you in a really wierd sort of way.

sorry to have to bring you down, but i thought you should know. at least that is how geico works. other companies may be slightly different.

heal up and i hope you get back on the road sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
551 Posts

dude that sucs! im glad you are ok! hopefully everything with the bike and insurance will work out to your benfit!
it did for me!

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts

Crashing sucks. I'm glad you're OK enough to tell us all about it. Good luck with the repairs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Well, I really wonder if it was cranking it over that last little bit of lean angle that put me onto brand spankin' new tire surface...hence, kerboom. I'm not sure I'll ever know at this point.

I am bracing myself for the fact that it could be totalled. But there's really no damage below the frame line other than some scratches on my chin fairing, shift lever, and maybe the left rearset is a little tweaked. The bike still ran like a champ on the way back home...it was just somewhat awkward reaching farther forward on the left than the right.

But we'll just see what happens from here. Thanks for the good wishes, folks. I'll post up photos tomorrow and keep you all updated.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts

Fatass SVS said:
Crashing sucks.  I'm glad you're OK enough to tell us all about it. Good luck with the repairs.
+1

·
Registered
836 Posts

I'm glad you made it out...uhhh...mostly alright. It's pretty amazing anytime anyone impacts a guardrail and comes out alright I think. Do you think a back protector or armored vest would've further prevented injury?

Just to let you know...you really shouldn't apply heat to a back injury in any situation...it's only provides a temporary alleviation of pain followed by a similar or worsened state of pain. Just take it FWIW.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts

Ben_JamminVFCC said:
Just to let you know...you really shouldn't apply heat to a back injury in any situation...it's only provides a temporary alleviation of pain followed by a similar or worsened state of pain.  Just take it FWIW.
Really? I was about to agree. I thought it was only bad to apply heat to muscles immediately after injury - cold at first then heat a couple days after and continuously

·
Registered
449 Posts

Glad you're ok, and hope the wife lets you ride still. We all know how they can be sometimes.

Grav.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rollin' rollin' rollin...My SV's not rollin'...but man my ass is swollen, rawhiiiiiiiide....

Thanks for the kind words, everybody. Even though I could feel it when I changed positions, I slept OK last night, and I'm not as sore as I thought I'd be this morning. I still just feel like somebody kicked me right on the waistline.

Ben, I didn't apply heat until probably 6 hours after the crash. But maybe that was a mistake. If so, I don't think I'm really paying for it yet...but I'll watch how I do that for a while. Thanks for the pointers.

Gravity...umm, we'll see. If they fix the bike, I'll probably keep on riding. If they total it, then she might put her foot down...more from a monetary point of view than from me taking risks, etc. We just might not be able to afford to buy another bike right now. That would S U C K !

Now, for the pics:

The crash site. This is about halfway or two thirds of the way through the turn. You can't see the grind marks on the road in this shot, but I'm standing about where I went down, and the bike impacted the guard rail a little to the right of where my wife and son are in the picture, bounced off, and came to rest about in front of them. I don't think I specified before, but I was in 3rd gear and probably doing about 35 when I came off.

Blue paint on the guard rail.

In this resized shot you can just make out the grind and rubber skids as the bike came up to the guard rail on its side.

Damage shots: The tank and instrument panel. There's a big dent on the near side of the gas cap where I think the tank hit the guard rail (it's the right shape). The far side of the tank isn't dented, that's just a reflection.

Another view of the tank, showing the bent bars.

My pretty little fairing is no more. The headlight is bent downward.

Nate's sliders work great! No damage to the frame, just the barest scuff on the radiator. The shift lever got ground away on the bottom at an angle but didn't break or bend the linkage rod. The peg feelers are ground a bit, but obviously done when the peg was in a folded-up position, so I can definitely say that I didn't drag a peg and lever the bike off the tires. The scratch on the engine was there from my lowside last year where I went down a soft embankment with a little gravel to score the bike in a few places.

My broken grab rail and torn passenger pad on my busticated tail. It seems like the tail section hit the guard rail support right at the grab rail.

My VERY busticated tail.

The tail from the other side.

Currently, a big concern is that my subframe is kind of tweaked here, as the grab rail impact may have bent the mount a bit. I'd probably just put a cowl on this time anyway, but still, that sucks, and could be the last straw that ends up getting the bike totalled.

Anyway, that's where I am today. I've got to be out of town Wednesday night through Friday night of this week, so I may not get the bike into the shop before next week. I'll let everybody know when I hear something different. Hopefully I'll be back on a bike before the riding season ends, but I just don't know...so cross your fingers for me.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
It didn't look totalled until the last pic, now I am not so sure.

Why would you not be able to get another if it is totalled? Surely you'd get the insurance pay out and be able to get another?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, since I realize now that I forgot to include it in my original post, the cop did NOT write me a ticket.  The Harley rider told him that I wasn't going fast at all, that he wasn't close enough to see me go down around the turn, but that he'd kept me in sight for quite a while and I had been more or less matching his pace, which meant that hadn't been going over 45...which was perfectly true.  I was just out enjoying the day and behaving myself.   :-\

Heh, you posted as I was reposting, AJ. The answer is that I'm pretty sure I owe more than the book value on the bike. I got insurance on the loan to cover that gap, but it may be that that just brings us back to zero. Christmas is coming up, we've got two trips planned already to east and west to visit family, and just generally money is kind of tight.

I'd really really like to get another bike if it is totalled, but I'm not sure what I'd do. I don't want a cheaper bike just for cheap's sake, like a baby Ninja. I don't want a sportbike. I do a little too much freeway riding to get a DRZ-M, even though I'd like one. And I don't think I could afford the price difference up to the sport-tourer which was my next dream bike. Maybe I'd just have to keep my eyes out for another, used this time (and hopefully with some mods already done! ;)) SV. It'll all just depend on how the money thing runs. And, of course, although after she finished her minor freak-out last night my wife didn't seem overly worried that I'm a reckless rider, she could always change her mind...

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
So if it puts you back to zero, you get another loan and are in the same boat as you are now. or you wait a few months and get a killer deal at the beginning of next season on a new SV. Come on Chad, don't be defeated.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm gonna give it a shot!

And speaking of defeated, damn, Louisville embarrassed themselves last night. It kinda put a period onto my day. :-[

·
Registered
127 Posts
well first of all im glad you are alright. those pictures of your bike are pretty gruesome, but now that you have a few crashes under your belt you can upgrade to a bigger bike. might i reccomend the gsxr1000 or the r1  ;). only kiddin. well i wish you a speedy recovery and hope everything gets worked out with insurance (or whatever) so you can get back on the road soon, on a bike of course.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To show what a cool wife I have, she is absolutely fine with the idea of me continuing to ride...the only issue is the money.

Long story short, we've had unexpected medical expenses this year that we hadn't budgeted for, and money is much tighter than we expected. I'm on salary, so barring getting a second job, my income doesn't vary from month to month. My wife, on the other hand, is self-employed and works as a contractor for two different companies. So, when money is tight, she's the one that tries to pick up extra work to make up for it. Money's been *so* tight this year that she's already doing that about as much as either of us want her to do (she works WAY too many weekends as it is). If she had to work any more hours, then I'd just have to spend all my free time at home on weekends watching my son so she could work...which would mean that even if I had another bike, I'd have no time to ride it. :-\

Bottom line, despite my second crash in two years, she doesn't want me to stop riding any more than I want to stop. But the cost is something that, in the short term at least, we can't ignore.

So everybody hope that the damage estimates come back light....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts