1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EDIT: List of stuff I need to replace:
  • Right footpeg - Forum member?
  • Front brake lever - Fazzo clutch and brake levers ordered
  • rear brake lever - Forum member or cheap aftermarket?
  • bar end sliders - eBay Delrin pieces?
  • frame sliders Motosliders through Blair next week?
  • midpipe?
  • mirrors - Replaced with stock for time being
  • turn signals - forum member stockers, other suggestions?
Refer to post 84 for other updates.

I'll do a picture story first, since that is what many want to see:

The day's riding group:

The incident:

The bike:

Personal Damage:

The Gear:

HJC FS-15 Carbon:

Fieldsheer Razor:

Right Shoulder:-

Right Forearm-

Left forearm-

Kobe back protector:

Joe Rocket Meteor boots:

A* SP2 Gloves:

A* Reflex knee and shin guards:

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Icon ARC Overpants:
Back -

Front-

Butt rash-

Right hip rash-

Right knee-

Left knee-

Now for the hopefully short story,
Who:
Me, Datech, Daniel VanBeek on my 2003 Suzuki SV650S

What:
A single vehicle accident as the result of a tankslapper, causing a broken right clavicle (collarbone) and a broken #4 rib. Also heavy bruising and minor abrasions.

When:
4/24/11 a little after noon.

Where:
North of Helen, GA, on Richard B. Russell Scenic Hwy 348.

Why:
Because sometimes a series of minor events lead to a catastrophic one. That, and according to a relative, we participate in the most dangerous adrenaline sport there is, and it's stupid! :rolleyes:

How:
Yesterday I was riding with a group of 8 other people, 4 of which I ride with on a regular basis. We were riding very twisty, north Georgia roads that I tend to ride once a month during the season. For those of you who know the area, we started the day on 60 from Dahlonega, took a right at the Rock Pile to go to Turner's Corner, did a very spirited run up 129 and down past Vogel, and did a more relaxed ride down and back Wolf Pen Gap (180). Our FZ6R rider, one of the most experienced of the group, actually washed out in a turn on WPG due to front brake chatter from a warped rotor. He and the bike were fine, but apparently we should have called it a day there.

We decided to continue on our normal route, and we went to do a down and back from the north side of 348. Road conditions were perfect, and there was little traffic of any kind at noon on Easter Saturday. The BMW rider had left, and we had split into two groups, with me riding sweep in the faster group behind the ZX6R, ZX9R, and the FZ6R. By the time of the crash we were about 3/4 of the way down the mountain, and the CBR600RR leading the slower group was only ~1/4 mile behind me.

I ride with the 4 bikes I just mentioned all the time, and we know each others' skill levels fairly well. Our faster group was staying together very well throughout the 348 ride, and I believe that we were riding at about 80-90% of our personal limits. I never once felt in over my head or that I was going too fast in the ride, and I was actively trying to focus on late turn in points through most of the ride. The FZ6R in front of me even motioned me forward once because I nailed one turn and closed our distance way too quickly. I backed off for the rest of the ~3/4 mile before I crashed, but we were still running a very tight and seemingly well skilled group.

You guys know what a banked turn is? Say I'm making a gradual left at speed, civil engineering says that a banked curve will be lower on the left side than the right? Well, this was a counter-banked curve (or whatever the proper term is), and the left side was higher than the right. I can't say by how much, but I think that it is significant considering what happened.

I scraped a peg in the turn. No big deal, I used to scrape constantly on my Ninja 250. Sure, this is the first time I've ever scraped on the SV, but why panic? I feel my peg leverage my rear wheel out a bit, it recovers, and I begin to track a much wider line through the curve. No biggie, I obviously wasn't leaned off enough (Total Control style) or else I wouldn't have scraped, so lean off more and try to keep the chassis stable. Sweet, I'm on the shoulder but I'm not gonna go in the grass or hit the mountain!

*bump*

All of a sudden I'm back in the road, and oh holy hell, I'm in a tank slapper. Time didn't slow down, my life didn't flash before my eyes, and I didn't black out. In no time flat I went from Superman position, to wondering where my bike was, to hitting the ground, attempting to make the fetal position for protection, and then doing three complete barrel rolls. I rolled over to the side of the road, and lay there trying to catch my breath and do breathing exercises to calm myself down.

The bump, as best I can figure, was probably a chunk of pavement or large pothole on the shoulder that I hit. My front end definitely came up since I was seemingly teleported back onto the road, and when it came down it never recovered it's stability. Tankslappers suck.

My CBR showed up very quickly and made sure I was alive. FZ6R turned around at the next turn when he realized I wasn't there. Then everyone else poured onto the scene rather quickly for a damage assessment. I laid on my back and did a full body check, and the only thing I could find was pressure between my shoulder and neck. I was able to sit up with help and got my helmet and jacket off after a thorough neck and back evaluation. Then I felt my collarbone with my hand, immediately knew it was broken, and had my buddies call 911 for a motorcycle accident with injury and possible shock.

The first responder was the White County Fire Chief with a Georgia Tech shirt on (my college), and talking about how his son does motocross. One of the paramedics has a 97 YZF1000 Thunder Ace, and the Georgia State Patrol Officer didn't even come close to writing me a ticket! An ambulance trip, some painful breathing, 4mg of morphine, and some Xrays later I was released and was able to make it to a wedding reception by 8pm!

Notable quotes:
ZX6R: "Honestly, my money was on [CBR] for this." :p
Fireman standing over me in one of the pictures: "Anyone ever tell you you're really friggen heavy?"
Upon me stating that I'm 220lbs, motorcycle paramedic says: "****, we don't carry that much morphine."

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
wow that sucks. hope you heal up and ride again. when your ready to rebuild I may have a few parts you can have. I hope you have insurance. your bike will more than likely be a total loss. buy it back and rebuild

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Your notable quotes reminds me of my first group ride with people from this site. One of the guys lowsided and I was the only one behind him. When the guys at the top of the hill heard there was a SV down they came back down to meet us and said "I figured it would have been drinkbrew that crashed". Well my turn was a year later at the same place.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dude:
Thankfully other than the collarbone you are OK.
Huge props for total gear. That probably saved your knee and likely concussion stuff. Those rips and tears on the leg and helmet are serious stuff.

I gonna play the DAD card here, but you should take away a personal learning from this wreck. It likely wasn't the peg, the wide line or the pothole. What did the "pilot" do wrong before any of that?
Some examples from previous folks crashing:
Going in too hot? Not paying enough attention? Not mental focus? Riding at or past skill set? Didn't read the road. blah blah blah.
Answer only to yourself because sooner or later there will be thoughts in the back of your mind about how close a call that was.
OK [/end DAD]
Good on you for posting pixs and narrative of the crash. This registers with us riders and is a good learning point for our next rides.
Just my 2 cents. All the best in healing up
-Larry

·
Registered
368 Posts
You guys know what a banked turn is? Say I'm making a gradual left at speed, civil engineering says that a banked curve will be lower on the left side than the right? Well, this was a counter-banked curve (or whatever the proper term is), and the left side was higher than the right.
banked to the inside of the turn = positive camber turn = good
banked to the outside of the turn = negative camber turn = bad

I had a 40 mph low-side early in my riding career - 3k miles. That brought me down to earth, and "crashing sucks" really hit home.

Heal up.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Something very similar happened to a friend. He wasn't lucky enough to survive.

I am glad you are relatively ok. Heal well. And do look at the cause of the accident. That tank slapper happened for a reason.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
No problems on Blood Mtn, 60, Wolfpen Gap...then you crash on the Richard B. Russell which IMO is far less challenging than those other roads...maybe you just relaxed a little too much. Anyway, hope you have a speedy recovery.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash. Glad you were properly geared up. Still must have been quite an impact for the rib and the collar bone. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

I only have one thought about your story. You mentioned you weren't hanging off (total control style) until you got into trouble. After taking the total control course, I started always trying to ride with proper body position. Even if I'm not really pushing, I felt like it gave me something in reserve should I need to tighten my line, make evasive maneuvers, etc. Just my $.02. Heal well!

·
Registered
476 Posts
good to hear you had all that gear on, it looks like it served its purpose.

80-90% of your personal limits?
2 crashes in one "spiritted" ride?

Dude, consider trackdays. Screw this street racing stuff.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I think what caught my attention was the fact that you were scrapping pegs and that you weren't hanging off.

I think that may have avoided the situation. It sounds like you were going in too fast. Then you went wide and back on to the road. I have seen that same scenario and that will cause a tank slapper.

By the way, I also notice that time and time these accidents happen when people ride in groups. Obviously, you feel comfortable riding at your group's pace but I group dynamics play a role in accidents.

You know I often feel like I am one of the slowest riders out there. And the reason is that going at a fast pace on streets makes me uncomfortable. That's why I decided to start on trackdays. Because at the track, I will only focus on my riding in a controlled environment, no cars, and no gravel, bumps etc. Then I can claim that I am actually "pushing it."

Not trying to be a d***, I am just saying, "spirited riding" is fun until you put your life on the line.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Dude, that sucks, but I'm glad you are mostly OK. (not sure you were right to begin with so it's hard to tell :p)

You should have some tank pads in the mail on Tue. Too bad I didn't include a collarbone, a slip-on, rearsets, and some new riding gear.

Heal up quick.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Ah, hell...Sorry to hear this Daniel.

Despite what we've discussed with 180, the closest I've come to biting it was on 348 in a group ride...it's a tricky b*tch because it just BEGS you to push harder.

It sounds like that if you're going to crash, you did everything right....full gear, surrounded by people, area with cell service, and cooperative emergency responders.

Hang in there and enjoy the drugs. Seriously, if there's anything I can do let me know. When it's time to rebuild, I'll dig through my limited supply of spares and maybe we can put that thing together with minimal cost.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Glad it wasnt worse man. Yet another example illustrating that wearing full gear is totally worth any minor discomfort it may cause. Heal well.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the responses guys. There is more for me to say and clarify, but I'll post this up now:

I WAS hanging off the entire day Total Control style. I really do believe in the traction control benefits from doing so properly. I meant to say that since I obviously scraped a peg I wasn't hanging off properly and/or enough in that particular curve.

I was just telling some MC naysayers a few weeks ago that I like SVR because every time there is a crash report, either the OP or the posters ask what the rider did wrong that resulted in the crash. I meant to include that in the original post, but apparently forgot. Part of the reason for a crash report is to be humbled, so I'll reflect further with everyone's thoughts and post a more elaborate walkthrough later.

·
Super Moderator
6,844 Posts
I ride with the 4 bikes I just mentioned all the time, and we know each others' skill levels fairly well. Our faster group was staying together very well throughout the 348 ride, and I believe that we were riding at about 80-90% of our personal limits. I never once felt in over my head or that I was going too fast in the ride, and I was actively trying to focus on late turn in points through most of the ride. The FZ6R in front of me even motioned me forward once because I nailed one turn and closed our distance way too quickly. I backed off for the rest of the ~3/4 mile before I crashed, but we were still running a very tight and seemingly well skilled group.
Thankfully it wasn't worse for you. Pretty painful though. I had similar injuries from a Kart racing accident, and you'll most likely notice them for years.

Your statement above pretty much sums it up - too close to the limit - not enough room left for the unexpected. It'll get you every time, especially when it feels good.

You know I often feel like I am one of the slowest riders out there. And the reason is that going at a fast pace on streets makes me uncomfortable. That's why I decided to start on trackdays. Because at the track, I will only focus on my riding in a controlled environment, no cars, and no gravel, bumps etc. Then I can claim that I am actually "pushing it."
I'm at this point as well. I remember reading an article in an old issue of CW about the group of hot-shot journalists out for a ride in the canyons with some racers - slowest of the group - Eddie Lawson. Seems Eddie felt there were just too many uncontrollable elements on the street to ride at a fast pace.

Thanks for posting all of this. I think it will help others to better consider the consequences when they think about "turning it up".

Heal-up quick.

EDIT: Thoughts about the subject from Mick Doohan -

Jay

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Glad you're okay, nice write up. Sounds like you did everything correctly including plenty of pictures. I'm sure you have insurance on the bike and plan on fixing her up once you heal. Good to see you were wearing a good amount of gear, to be honest I don't wear that much gear on the street (only on the track). I guess this is sort of a wake up call for me, lately I've only been wearing: boots, gloves, helmet, jacket, jeans. I need good leg protection. Hope you have medical insurance too. The important thing is that you were able to limit the amount of damage to your body, I'm sure if you had little to no gear you would still be in the hospital and may not ride again. Once again I'm glad you were able to almost walk away from this one.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts