Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished a nice little ride down Lime Creek Rd a couple times and then decided to stop and eat at Oasis (in Northwest Austin, TX). After Leaving the restaurant I was making a U-turn but went too wide and locked up my front tire in gravel and dropped the bike. This broke my clutch lever and the toe shifter peg. I somehow limped the 60 or so miles back home to San Marcos but it was NOT fun. I would have preferred to get towed but I can't afford that. :'(

The moral of the story is... don't drop your bike and if you do have a spare clutch with you.

Do frame sliders save clutch levers? I am about to be on my 5th or 6th one now I think. My poor SV must hate me...

-josh

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
there's no reason not to have frame sliders. especially if you've already gone down and broke a lever or two. get those puppies on yesterday!!

as for towing - i think the extended warranty only gives you towing for the first year you own the bike - not for the entire life of the warranty. at least that's what i remember the dealer saying

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Newdriver said:
I just finished a nice little ride down Lime Creek Rd a couple times and then decided to stop and eat at Oasis (in Northwest Austin, TX). After Leaving the restaurant I was making a U-turn but went too wide and locked up my front tire in gravel and dropped the bike. This broke my clutch lever and the toe shifter peg. I somehow limped the 60 or so miles back home to San Marcos but it was NOT fun. I would have preferred to get towed but I can't afford that.  :'(

The moral of the story is... don't drop your bike and if you do have a spare clutch with you.

Do frame sliders save clutch levers? I am about to be on my 5th or 6th one now I think. My poor SV must hate me...

-josh
frame sliders  are designed to save frames, nothing else,

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Buy a better quality lever, one that is made to snap partially off, but leaves enough to be functional. Also loosen up the clutch perch, not to the point where it should move under normal use, but enough that it wil "give" if its smacked hard. It's a handy technique learned from my dirt bike years.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Red Raevyn said:
Or Triple A! It's cheap, and you get 2 or 3 free tows a year, though not 60 miles.
regular AAA does not cover bikes. i've heard you need to upgrade to the RV package to get bike towing coverage

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Newdriver said:
I just finished a nice little ride down Lime Creek Rd a couple times and then decided to stop and eat at Oasis (in Northwest Austin, TX). After Leaving the restaurant I was making a U-turn but went too wide and locked up my front tire in gravel and dropped the bike. This broke my clutch lever and the toe shifter peg. I somehow limped the 60 or so miles back home to San Marcos but it was NOT fun. I would have preferred to get towed but I can't afford that.  :'(

-josh
1. I assume you still haven't converted to naked, yet.
2. They already rebuilt The Oasis after the fire?
3. Lime Creek Road scares me now. After watching videos of LCR and the Gap, having taken a track day, and riding on flat/straight Orlando roads for 4.5 months, I am far too scared of such roads: blind corners, gravel (always in worst places on LCR - thankyou locals), cars, bicyclists, cliffs, and la policia.

One day I'll stop get back my wings...

Now get some sliders, silly goose.

·
Registered
796 Posts
+1 to bar ends. i got a set on mine and they're awesome. helps dampen vibrations too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts