Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey again, So I'm talking to this guy about SVs and how i want to buy one, and he says, "Stay away from the 2nd gen model, they have been known to have crankshaft problems.".

I was just curious as to what he was talking about and i figure the best people to ask would be you guys, since either all or most of you have SVs.

What was he talking about?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
There were some reports from racers who experienced crank failure. I haven't seen any reports from the road set about failures for any of the generations. Even the racing reports were few and far between. I wouldn't worry.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gilfy650a said:
Hey again, So I'm talking to this guy about SVs and how i want to buy one, and he says, "Stay away from the 2nd gen model, they have been known to have crankshaft problems.".

I was just curious as to what he was talking about and i figure the best people to ask would be you guys, since either all or most of you have SVs.

What was he talking about?
There was an article in Roadracing World about this problem. Don't remember which month. The author of the article suspects that the crank failures are the result of Suzuki doing away with the crank shims on the 2nd generation models.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Crank problems have been mostly confined to racing machines where HP has been substantially raised. There was a change both in crank design (clearance) and vendor between the 1st and 2nd gen's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Actually, it has not been confined to race machines where hp has been substantially raised--it happens on stock engines too and the biggest problem is sustained heat--so things like endurance racing are a problem. Most people riding on the street simply don't do 4 hours of nonstop riding where the engine is operating between 8k and 11k RPM. With Suzukis it takes stuff like endurance racing to uncover flaws and usually there still aren't problems. In this case there was one.

A very high volume Suzuki dealer who endurance raced 2nd gen SVs thinks that Suzuki changed subcontractors. The 'events' usually happen when downshifting--which is inconvenient because you are usually entering a turn when downshifting. The cracks occur on the end by the alternator. That said, from what I can gather it is much more likely on built motors--the first people who discovered this problem were doing stuff like running 14.5:1 compression--which seems pretty high for a twin. It is also fairly random. My crank didn't have a single crack after a season of racing. Others blow up with only a couple of hundred miles. Some do a full season of endurance racing with no problem. Others have 4 engine failures in a year.

There is definitely a problem. Will it happen to you while riding on the street? Very unlikely.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have been racing a 2nd gen SV for two seasons now without a hint of a problem My motor is completely stock.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've blown 2 cranks out of Gen 1 SV's. One stock (22000km) and one modified (3000km).
I have a racing buddy that has 5 blown cranks in his shop.

I haven't heard of problems with Gen2 up until the last month or so. It seems to me that the number of of bikes that go for ever without problems far out weigh the ones that fail, althought the ones that fail all seem to be ones that are constantly ridden like they're stolen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The "problem" with the second gens cranks coming apart was posted here when I first got my 03. I was one of the first on the board with a second gen (one of the first 10 or so ppl anyway).

After 21k hard miles, I've had no problem whatsoever. No endurance racing, or racing altogether, but have surely ran the snot out of it. The longest my I keep my bike from 8k to redline is probably around 30 minutes at a time, break for 10 minutes, and 30 more back at it.

Bottom line: If you want a second gen, get one and don't worry about the crankshaft, or any other problem you may hear of. SV's in general seem to be (for the most part) bullet proof.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So basically its a crapshoot whether or not I'm gonna get a effed up crank?, is there a recall from Suzuki or anything?
Sounds like there should be... meh oh well.. oh yeah here's what that dude wrote...

him: "They are also more reliable. The later model SV 650's have had
crankshaft problems."

me: "Out of curiosity, what were the problems with the crankshafts?  in
the 2nd gen Sv650?"

him: "They eliminated the thrust bearings at each end. On some engines (25%-30%)
the oil leaks  out at above 9000 RPM and starves the top end and BOOOOM!"

me: "Huh, quite interesting.... and scary mind you, do you know wether
they fixed that issue in the 05 model?"

him: "No thrust bearings so it's a crap shoot. Maybe it'll rev all day long to
redline.. maybe it goes boom."

So... I'm not THAT technically inclined, i can do basic repairs "carb, brakes, etc" thrust bearings boggle the mind however....

Was what he was saying accurate?

Edit*
P.S. I plan on taking a 6-7 hour road trip to virginia next year on the SV- speeds around 65-80mph could there be a problem with that? "i'm leaning towards a 1st gen btw"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Buy whichever you think looks better. Unless you're going to be making the engine live at 9k plus RPMs for extended periods of time, the chances of it breaking a crank is slim.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I took a trip to Willamsport PA from NJ. I was going 100 for almost 2 hours straight that day. No lie, and the engine was screaming @ 8500 the whole time. Oh, and a couple pops to redline for fun  ;). I've not had one problem for 12,000.

The only thing this crank thing has kept me from doing is buying nitrous for the SV.  ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hate to dig up this ancient thread, but I was wondering if anyone knew if there had been any update on this problem. I understand that it's rare.... and since I ride like an old lady, I would never have a problem. Still, I'm wondering if anything had been done.

·
Registered
266 Posts
there is no problem
only a perception of
possible failure

1 - 14 of 14 Posts