1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
830 Posts
if your needs are to knock your motorcycle onto the floor of your garage, i'd say yes.

actually i have no idea. looks cool, but doesn't look very stable.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It works absolutely fine. I use one when I need to take the triple and lower brace off of a bike since a front stand doesn't allow for that.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
SpeedisaVirus said:
Anyone have one of these? I am wondering how stable they hold the SV. Looks like to me it's best use would be cruisers and ATVs that have frame railings underneath. Saw this at sears today and wonder if it will fulfill my needs.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...al=TOOL&pid=00950191000&subcat=Lift+Equipment
vey limited lift height, no stability

you are better off using end stands

if you want ability, and ability to lift to a comfortable work height , consider getting a real bike stand http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=52998.0

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think they are designed to be used with cruisers where the frame rails run along the bottom of the bike. You'd have to rig something up to avoid crushing your exhaust on an SV. Even if you did it wouldn't as stable as if you threw a cruiser up there because the SV is much more narrow and lighter than a cruiser...in other words easier to tip over. My dad has one for his 750lb + Roadstar and it's very stable up there. Go with a proper front & rear stands for your SV.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input, I was just seeing if this thing is even a reasonable alternative. As is the norm with everyone some say yay some say nay but it all is helpful ;D. I think if the price was reallllly good I might but for now I will be sticking to old school track stands.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Friend of mine dropped his harley with one of those Sears stands.  

I got front and rear race stands and I will be getting a tree stand when the deal comes around.
The typical front stand that works on the bottom of the forks for the SV sucks and I do not recommend them.

I also have the EazyRizer that RandyO pointed to.  

I agree that it is more money ... but it cannot be tipped over, raises the bike 3 feet high, very adjustable and
works with any kind of bike or ATV.  It is the price of a fairing on a bike and infinitely more useful.

It has other uses too such as working on big pieces of furniture ( I do a bit of woodworking as a hobby) and
I am planning to install a removeable caster set on mine so I can move as well as lift.

There are several still available at a reduced price due to overstock at a company in our area.

The main distributor is http://www.drivengear.com

Haseltonk ... you don't have to worry about crushing the pipes on a sport bike, they are designed to handle
that weight.  I did not believe it till I cut my exhaust for the slipon.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
you can go the tips and tricks route to make a plate so the SV works on it....youll find its alot more work then needed and all the measurements arent right for all the years. Or you can find some pieces of 2x4 layin around, i cant really say in words how its set up for mine but its very stable. I still strap it just in case tho.

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Got one, just wish the platform was a little longer to get better leverage on anchoring. Works fine, I have the other version, just don't ratched the bike to the lower mounts otherwise it won't go up. I have used it on my bike (05 svs) and my roommates (s40), works for me until the budget allows a better stand.

·
Registered
408 Posts
RandyO said:
vey limited lift height, no stability
Not exactly true. It actually is very stable, but it is just not designed for a bike like the SV. I use one on my bike all the time and have yet to have a problem with stability. So I wouldn't say the jack sucks, it's just not built for your bike.

As for the guy with the Harley.......he rides a Harley, enough said. ;D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts