Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I had a little incident, dropped the bike and cracked the water pump cover. Nothing else got damaged, but I'm wondering if some of the coolant got into the clutch case. Do I need to inspect anything if it happened that coolant got into the oil? I drained what was left of the coolant and the oil, popped the right side case cover off, and didn't see any damage inside. Although I did notice a white/yellow pasta on the clutch cover. It's kinda like melted chocolate, and there's quite a bit in the dipstick hole. What would this be? Also, should I replace the gasket on the clutch side case cover? Anything else I should do/look at?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to be as cautious as possible.
Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'll just share what I've learned, but not sure if it will be of any use for you.

The pump shaft has 2 seals to stop any coolants from leaking into your lubrication system. If only one is bad, the coolant and oil shouldn't mix...but if both are bad, then you will see a white mess.

Check the seals, that would be my suspect. But I'm still learning this stuff myself. Many others here are far more knowledgeable. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll just share what I've learned, but not sure if it will be of any use for you.

The pump shaft has 2 seals to stop any coolants from leaking into your lubrication system. If only one is bad, the coolant and oil shouldn't mix...but if both are bad, then you will see a white mess.

Check the seals, that would be my suspect. But I'm still learning this stuff myself. Many others here are far more knowledgeable. :)
Thanks, I'll take a look at the seals and see if they look cracked or anything. So the white pasty stuff in the case is just from the water?

·
Registered
683 Posts
A white presence usually is from an oil/coolant mixture. I'm thinking to start simple and check the seals for leaks and cracks. If it were one or the other seal, white wouldn't be present as they wouldn't be mixing...just an individual leak of whatever seal was bad.

If by chance only the water pump seal is bad (leaking coolant) and the oil seal appears fine, check the pump o-ring...another source of oil leakage.

Worse case scenario...the pump needs overhauling.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Is that white milk chocolate stuff caked on? Does it have a thickness to it, or is it just a surface discoloration?

I don't think the mix would cake itself up and build up a layer, especially in the short amount of time you describe, unless the seals went a long time ago. But you would have seen white or green or oily leakage under the water pump

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that white milk chocolate stuff caked on? Does it have a thickness to it, or is it just a surface discoloration?

I don't think the mix would cake itself up and build up a layer, especially in the short amount of time you describe, unless the seals went a long time ago. But you would have seen white or green or oily leakage under the water pump
It's got a bit of a thickness to it, I can post a picture if it would help. But theres enough where I touch my finger in it, it covers my fingertip. I agree with you that with the short amount of time it was running, it doesn't seem like it would cause that much gunk. And there was no gunk around the water pump, its only where the clutch is on the cover. And the majority of it being in the dipstick hole, so it seems like the clutch was flinging it up there.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I think I'd just put everything back together and refill. If your water pump is bad, your oil will turn the same color that you see in the bottom most opening. Milky brown kind of color. If that happens, you'll know that you need to replace the seals.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'd just put everything back together and refill. If your water pump is bad, your oil will turn the same color that you see in the bottom most opening. Milky brown kind of color. If that happens, you'll know that you need to replace the seals.
So I replaced the broken water pump cover, filled the engine with fluids and now I'm seeing the same white/yellowish paste in my oil level glass. When I take out the dipstick plug, that paste is all over the bottom of the plug. Could this just be leftover from the incident since that stuff isn't going to drain out of the case? One of my friend suggested I remove the crankcase breather, and put a small air filter on it cause all that moisture that is evaporating is going to be going back through my air filter and into the engine. Sounded like it may be a good idea. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
There is a sponge in the box that the breather hoses go to that should block moisture from coming back into the engine, especially since the sponge is saturated with oil. So I doubt this is an issue.

You could drain and replace the oil again (after running it for a few minutes to warm it up and get all of it out), but its possible that the water pump itself might have gotten damaged in the drop.

Its a mechanical thing with an impeller and seals, so something might have gotten bent or broken. The mechanical seal isn't rubber, but some kind of a brittle material, and impact could have cracked it. Might be looking at a replacement.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a sponge in the box that the breather hoses go to that should block moisture from coming back into the engine, especially since the sponge is saturated with oil. So I doubt this is an issue.

You could drain and replace the oil again (after running it for a few minutes to warm it up and get all of it out), but its possible that the water pump itself might have gotten damaged in the drop.

Its a mechanical thing with an impeller and seals, so something might have gotten bent or broken. The mechanical seal isn't rubber, but some kind of a brittle material, and impact could have cracked it. Might be looking at a replacement.
Well I ended up replacing everything, cause all i could find on ebay is the entire assembly. So it's a non-damaged impeller, seals, case, cover and everything. I suppose I'll try warming up the bike, draining the oil, take the case off and clean as much of the gunk off as I can and refill the oil and coolant.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
It takes a while to really warm up the oil and get rid of that junk. I think any engine will get it with the right conditions. (cool nights, high humidity, etc.)

I first saw it on my clear clutch cover and thought I had a bad gasket or seal. It was there even after almost 10 miles of riding and the engine warmed up plenty. In another 5 or so, it was completely gone.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It takes a while to really warm up the oil and get rid of that junk. I think any engine will get it with the right conditions. (cool nights, high humidity, etc.)

I first saw it on my clear clutch cover and thought I had a bad gasket or seal. It was there even after almost 10 miles of riding and the engine warmed up plenty. In another 5 or so, it was completely gone.
So I shouldn't be too concerned with it? I'll still drain the oil and refill, but if it shows up again, I suppose I'll just let it work its way out?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.