Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i just bought a 05 Sv650s and the kid who had it before me dumped it. And the left side fairing has a pretty big crack in it I repaired one on my katana before with epoxy some bondo, sanded it and painted it. And it came out really good But I wanted some expert advice or maybe someone has a better way or idea.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Only suggestion I have is to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to relieve any stress on it. This should keep it from spreading from vibration. Do this before you repair it with epoxy or whatever. Plastic welding works too.

Actually, here's a writeup with some good tips.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Yeah, what Jeff said.

Also what badguy said.

Funny, all three of us live near each other. Must be something in the water.

If you don't want to glue/fiberglass/epoxy it, drill the hole at the end of the split then go buy a cheap soldering iron. Melt the plastic alongside the edges of the split ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE PLASTIC and bond them together.

Then sand it smooth.

Fill the front of the now-fixed-but-still-visible crack with Bondo, then sand, paint, etc.

S

·
0 Posts
I have sucessfully repaired fairing plastics on the back side using a strip of fibreglass cloth applied directly over the crack and liquid resin (Bondo). Just cut a strip of cloth about 1 1/2" to 2" wide, running the length of the crack. For the front, bodyfiller followed with spot putty should make the surface look nice. Then it'll be ready for primer & painting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts