Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I ride with two fingers covering the clutch and when I disengage the clutch I just pull the lever with the two fingers on it till it is tight against the other two fingers around the grip. I have always ridden this way. Tonight I noticed that if I pull the clutch in with all my fingers till it is tight against the bar my bike shifts into neutral a Lot easier. Am I not disengaging the clutch all the way. Will I prematurely wear the clutch plates??? I have never had a problem before. Also I just got this SV litterally tonight so is it possible I just need to make an adjustment to the clutch?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is this such a stupid question that everyone is scared to answer because you are all sure the next time I ride It will end in a twisted heap of metal and flesh??? LOL! Or have I worded my query in such a way that nobody is sure what the **** I am talking about. Anyway I have thick skin if I am making a mistake please let me know. Does anybody else only use two fingers on the clutch??

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've tried using only two fingers, but for the reason you state went back to all four. If we had an adjustable clutch lever I'd use only two again (just like I use on the brake lever).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am used to having the extra security of two fingers always around the bar. How do people race. Not that I am racing but it seems like that is the ultimate in bike handling. Also will I do damage not fully disengaging the clutch??? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Mladin, Rossi and others don't cover either lever in a lot of situations. But don't forget - they don't have to worry about oncoming traffic, gravel, oil, coolant, animals....idiots, etc. They (usually) never have to stop on a dime unexpectedly.

I cover both clutch and brake with two fingers - but use 4 to shift with. If its easier to find neutral with all four fingers - you just answered your own question. Two fingers isn't disengaging the clutch completely.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I cover the clutch most of the time (4 fingers) and I only cover the brake (2 fingers) if I think there is a high chance of needing to (riding down a narrow busy city street next to parked cars). Otherwise I ride wrist down like taught in MSF.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
B.C. -- If you prefer to use two fingers to operate the clutch but the other two fingers prevent the lever from full travel, try adjusting the clutch lever engagement. Bring the point of engagement out away from the grip (less than .5 inch free travel). You can make those adjustments at the lever and/or the clutch.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ronlarimer said:
  Otherwise I ride wrist down like taught in MSF.
What do you mean wrist down? I've have ridden alot but never took a course. Also when adjusting the clutch how do you ensure that you don't take to much out and have the clutch wear out prematurly???

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
B.C. said:
What do you mean wrist down? I've have ridden alot but never took a course.  Also when adjusting the clutch how do you ensure that you don't take to much out and have the clutch wear out prematurly???
MSF course teaches you to ride with your wrists low, it helps keep you from accidently giving too much throttle in a panic situation.

Just make sure your clutch lever still has a little bit of free play.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
B.C. -- I'm the furthest thing from a mechanic, so take this with a grain of salt...

I believe the manual specifies .5" free play (lever travel) on the clutch lever before engagement (the 'sweet spot' if you will). All you would need to do is adjust the tension on the clutch cable so that this sweet spot is further away from the bar, or say it begins immediately when you apply tension to the lever. You will know if there is not enough free play because the engine will rev upon throttle application while in gear because you are in effect slipping the clutch even with the lever fully released. Obviously if you reach this point, you went too far.

Find some more information sources about clutch lever adjustment, use a little common sense, and make small changes at a time, and chances are you can find a setting that will work perfectly for you.

Sorry for the terminology, as I don't speak mechanic-ese... :-[

HTH

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey it's OK i am mechanically dyslexic. Thanks for the advice. I just was out riding and shifting using my whole hand works fine too. It's all good!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts