Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1 I replaced my rear brake pads, and my Haynes manual says to smear a copper based grease on the back of the pads. I didn't have any and used a small amount of gp grease. Is that a problem?

#2 I'm replacing my brake lines with steel braided lines. Why do the kits not include lines from the reservoir to the master cylinders? Are those separate kits? If so, are the lines from the reservoir to the master cylinders necessary?

Thanks! -Mac

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
#1 I have installed pads without grease at all many times without issue, and I have used regular grease without issue. You're fine.

#2 The line from the reservoir to the master, is simply to supply the master, there is no real hydraulic pressure there. So stainless there would just be bling and serve no purpose.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
#1 I have installed pads without grease at all many times without issue, and I have used regular grease without issue. You're fine.

#2 The line from the reservoir to the master, is simply to supply the master, there is no real hydraulic pressure there. So stainless there would just be bling and serve no purpose.
That's what I figured on both questions. Just wanted to make sure :) Thanks! -Mac

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You really had to replace the rear pads? Like the other reply, IMO you should be fine without greasing the backs of the pads.
They really didn't need replacing, but I figured why the hell not :p I was replacing the lines/fluid/front pads. I just wanted do do the whole shabang ;D

·
Registered
285 Posts
You really had to replace the rear pads? Like the other reply, IMO you should be fine without greasing the backs of the pads.
My rear pads are gone... but that's at 22k.

The front pads are still over half so I'm thinking that the previous owner(s) were heavy rear brakers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts