Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe a newb question, search yielded no good results specific to my question..i understand
the mechanics and concept of counter stearing, but i have always been told that this
is something that a rider will do unconciously vs. conciously yet i hear people
emphasise the importance and counter stearing while riding. personally i
dont make a point to counter stear while i ride, assuming i was doing it
without knowing but is this something that i should be paying attention to
to make my turns smoother?? it does allow easier turn in when you
conciously make a point to counter steer as the bike wants to just
"fall" into the turn vs just leaning your weight, but i have never focused
on this...should i be??

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunetly, the US goverment in its infinite wisdom (note sarcasm) has
decided that itsdetrimental to national security to allow me to view certain web sites
such as youtube, flickr, (any photo sharing site really) and personal
e mail that i may want to log into on my DOD work computer. what was
the video about?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Counter steering is basically the technique of pushing the bars in the opposite direction of the turn, If you want to better your riding skills so that you are quicker and smoother in the corners then you will definitely have to practice this technique. A motorcylce is basically a large gyroscope and the spinning effect of the wheels keeps it upright, the faster the wheels turn the more the bike wants to stay up and the wheels straight. Thats why it is difficult to turn the handlebars at speed like you would steer a car. Counter steering really is the only way to effectively turn a bike through a corner at speed and everyone does it to some degree or another even if subconciously. But you can hone the technique in order to be a smoother rider. I would recommend reading a sport riding technique book, there are many good ones out there (twist of the wrist by Keith Code being a good one)

Edit: Sorry I didn't see that you already understood the principles of Counter Steering. Definitely get a good sport riding technique book though. It will help greatly.

·
Banned
296 Posts
unfortunetly, the US goverment in its infinite wisdom (note sarcasm) has
decided that itsdetrimental to national security to allow me to view certain web sites
such as youtube, flickr, (any photo sharing site really) and personal
e mail that i may want to log into on my DOD work computer. what was
the video about?

My company may be affiliated with the US gov... never considered that haha. Yahoo email/myspace/etc. could ruin our business too!

I can see myself countersteering in pictures, but don't do it on purpose. IMO, it's almost like slightly drifting a motorcycle and using the gas to steer. My front tire wears as fast as my rear; 1:1 for replacements!

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Educational info on the workings of countersteering. I hate being out of the USAF, but I'm not missing the nannyware.

Anyway, countersteering essentially forces you into a lean by briefly turning the bike the opposite direction of the intended path. You fall with gravity and centrifugal force, but correcting force on the bars (usually subconciously) when desired lean angle and rate of turn are reached.

·
Registered
589 Posts
There is another reason to practice counter steering besides smooth turning. Practicing can save your life by being able to quickly turn your motorcycle in time of crisis to avoid obstacles, dogs, kids, branches cars etc. when you would otherwise panic. By understanding the forces that affect the bike, counter steering being one, and practicing to use those forces to your advantage canl reprogram your natural and wrong reactions so that you can avoid trouble.

·
Registered
789 Posts
you know, although they say counter-steering is subonsciously done while riding, I think it's more like a reaction of the rider.

Say you're riding down the city streets at about 30mph+. You want to turn right. Well, if you were to literally just barely start to twist the steering column clockwise (into the turn) your bike would start to fall left, making you begin turning left.

Now, I know that is what counter-steering is, but why I'd say it's more of a reaction is because your body realizes that you're starting to turn the wrong way (left in the example), your body will counter-act the current motion and start to twist the steering to the left (counter-clockwise).

Blarg! I have no idea if any of that made sense or not...

·
Registered
80 Posts
you know, although they say counter-steering is subonsciously done while riding, I think it's more like a reaction of the rider.

Say you're riding down the city streets at about 30mph+. You want to turn right. Well, if you were to literally just barely start to twist the steering column clockwise (into the turn) your bike would start to fall left, making you begin turning left.

Now, I know that is what counter-steering is, but why I'd say it's more of a reaction is because your body realizes that you're starting to turn the wrong way (left in the example), your body will counter-act the current motion and start to twist the steering to the left (counter-clockwise).

Blarg! I have no idea if any of that made sense or not...
Counter steering is easier said as "if you want to bike to turn left push the handlebar to the right, if you want to turn right push handlebar to the left"

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I think people put too much thought into the counter steering thing. Have you ridden a motorcycle? Ok, you are counter steering. There is a right and wrong way to turn, but no matter what you do you are counter steering. Now don't get me wrong here, practice is always great, but you will never need to worry if you are counter steering or not, I promise you are.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
thinking about counter steering is only really done when one is learning how to ride a bike. once you've learned how to ride with confidence, you don't think about it anymore. heck, most of us don't realize we've been counter steering bicycles since we were 4 years old.

I don't remember my dad going "ok, press left to go left son" ;D

·
Registered
712 Posts
Question, when hitting tight corners at high speeds I tend to lean the bike keeping my arm straight in the direction I want to go, while doing this I move my weight as if I am trying to get on top of the bike and not under it.
However, when I see people "knee dragging" it seems as if they are putting their weight on the side in which direction they are going.

The way I've been doing it hasn't cause me to crash but I haven't been on too many tight corners at high speeds 50+

Should I practice putting my body on the side of my turn direction?

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Question, when hitting tight corners at high speeds I tend to lean the bike keeping my arm straight in the direction I want to go, while doing this I move my weight as if I am trying to get on top of the bike and not under it.
However, when I see people "knee dragging" it seems as if they are putting their weight on the side in which direction they are going.

The way I've been doing it hasn't cause me to crash but I haven't been on too many tight corners at high speeds 50+

Should I practice putting my body on the side of my turn direction?
you are riding your bike like a dirt bike.

as your bike leans into the corner, it will eventually run out of lean angle and will start dragging hard parts. If your weight is to the inside, the center of balance is moved and allows the bike to stay more upright for the same speed.

I suggest A Twist of the Wrist II

A great read for sportbike techniques.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm not sure that my arms are ever fully straight in a turn. as long as you're initiating the lean with a quick countersteering press on the inside grip you should be ok.

lee parks suggests only giving the bar inputs with the inside hand. the outside hand should be gripping lightly and the arm neutral, neither pushing or pulling.

·
Registered
856 Posts
saying you turn the bars in the opposite direction before you turn is a little off, makes it sound like a truck driver swinging the cab to the left before making a right turn. It's sort of a simultaneous thing just as you lean you push on the right side of the bars a bit,which kind of makes the bike "fall into the turn", and like other's say to some degree if you ride a bike you do it.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Is it necessary to keep your arm straight through the whole turn or just at the beginning?
um, never?

your arms should be loose at all times.

get the book I recommended. It will change your life ;D

1 - 20 of 140 Posts