Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Word has it that the new ninja 650 could mean death to the SV.  I'm a little curious to hear what everybody thinks Kawasaki's new turd.  Could this mean more improvement to the SV650 from Suzuki???  should be a close race......my money is on Suzuki, but for some reason I'm a little concerned

·
Registered
935 Posts
parallel twin, excuse me-------> vomit! Might be death to yours but its never gonna touch mine. Besides kwacks are a little odd, there like the artic cat of motorcycles, just a lil different. Im sure its gonna be a decent bike, but I dont think a young gun like that is gonna dent the tired and true SV dependability, aftermarket support, and just sheer giggle factor per $.

·
Registered
419 Posts
my money is on Suzuki, but for some reason I'm a little concerned
Concerned about what?  What would happen if Kawasaki did manage to produce a good competitor to the SV?  Would that be the end of the world?

More competitors means this market segment is exapnding.  That's a good thing.  Forces the existing leader to stay competitive, upgrade, enhance, etc.  Gives the consumer more choices.  Again, a good thing.

Some of the posts in these 650R threads smack of a little insecurity.   That's silly.  Just because there is a new bike that some people are going to buy instead of the one you bought, what's the big deal?

Lots of people seem to defend what they bought, as if it's personal.  I've got a couple of Kawasakis in my garage along with the SV.  Framkly, Kawasaki makes some excellent bikes, at very good value for the money, just like Suzuki.  I'm a little disappointed that they chose the faired bike to sell in the U.S., as I much preferred the naked version, but faired bikes eem to sell better in the U.S.

Persoanlly, I hope it sells well, broadens the category, and provides some competition that betters the breed.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
i think it is good because
1) If I get back to drag racing, finally some1 to race.
2) More money for the LW twins class.
3) Cheaper SV parts.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Definatly gets me excited thinking about what it will cuase Suzuki to do to make the SV better, and at the same time, makes me sad considering I'm stuck with an older, probably outdated model by now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Personally, I hope it sells well, broadens the category, and provides some competition that betters the breed.
amen.

first and foremost, we are motorcycle enthusiasts. we have to open to progression, even if from other manafacturers. All the better if kawi offers up a fair challenge. it will both drive suzuki to improve and increase our selection as bike fans when we hit the showroom floors.

our sv's rule, we know that. but they aren't the end all be all to motorcycles. be open to what the market brings and understand that it may result in an even better SV.

·
Registered
606 Posts
We are jumping in and doing whatever we can to develop stuff for it that makes it competitive with the SV. Competition will make it more interesting on race day!

·
Registered
121 Posts
WayFastWhitey said:
Word has it that the new ninja 650 could mean death to the SV.  I'm a little curious to hear what everybody thinks Kawasaki's new turd.  Could this mean more improvement to the SV650 from Suzuki???  should be a close race......my money is on Suzuki, but for some reason I'm a little concerned
I wouldn't worry about death to SV; it is a bit premature. SV is a great bike and has following and good aftermarket support. Some may find SV looks more appealing, others will go for 650R. Seems that Kwak accountants made good decision: P-twin, one piece seat, superbike handlebars, steel frame /all of which saved $$$ with small weight penalty/ and used it to get better suspension and lower fairing, so they're step ahead in the game.

With respect to SV being threatened, yes, market rarely stays void for long there is a competition now. How serios is it? 650R's lower seat looks attractive to female/vert challenged segment of market; others would like SV's clip-ons and traditional looks. Some would buy SV b/c there is so many of them, others won't because there is so many of them, right?

SV is due to redesign soon, the logical step for SV would be to get better forks, similar to semi-cartridge kwak used on Z750 and 650R. They didn't offer full faired version b/c of Katana, perhaps they will?

·
Registered
283 Posts
As others have said, competition goooooood.

The SV has dominated it's class against all others since it's beginning.

FINALLY another maker has put up a potential challenger.

The SV would have to improve. That's not a bad thing.

·
Registered
744 Posts
cyclopathic said:
I wouldn't worry about death to SV; it is a bit premature. SV is a great bike and has following and good aftermarket support. Some may find SV looks more appealing, others will go for 650R. Seems that Kwak accountants made good decision: P-twin, one piece seat, superbike handlebars, steel frame /all of which saved $$$ with small weight penalty/ and used it to get better suspension and lower fairing, so they're step ahead in the game.
Uuuh, how exactly does the 650R have better suspension?

·
Registered
722 Posts
650RR said:
Definatly gets me excited thinking about what it will cuase Suzuki to do to make the SV better, and at the same time, makes me sad considering I'm stuck with an older, probably outdated model by now.
What makes the SV outdated? It has a good frame and a killer little engine. Everything else can be easily changed. My '99 is "outdated" but it runs dead even in a 5mph roll on with my brother's 03. Suspension on all budget bikes is outdated when they leave the factory. I've redone mine front and back and it's sprung and set up for my weight.

I personally like the way the Kawasaki looks. I prefer the naked one, but I think both look better than the angly new SV's. I love the red accented bits, but wonder how durable that finish will be. Will an errant torque wrench leave a nasty silver gash? Either way, competition is good. Look at how long Suzuki kept the Katana...do you seriously think they'd kill the SV after it gets beaten by the competition?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
650RR said:
blah motorcycles never become out dated. just the way people think of them. my friend rides a 96 seca II dubbed the "stinka" for being possibly the worlds slowest 600cc I-4. but he can out ride alot of guys on the newer 600's. i know i consider my self to be a pretty fast rider and on a good day he can keep me behind him with no problem. and i ride an 05.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
my opinion is that it will get more people interested in the mini twins. and there for more fun for us sv guys. i mean we all know that with $1500 worth of mods we can pass 600ss biks so whats to say the ninja 650 will be any more comp??

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
B.a. said:
with $1500 worth of mods we can pass 600ss bikes
only if the guy on the 600 is a noob

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
wonderjosh said:
only if the guy on the 600 is a noob
ok make it $2500 more ralistic?

and i'm talking stock 600 with maybe an exhaust and nice tires.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
B.a. said:
ok make it $2500 more ralistic?

and i'm talking stock 600 with maybe an exhaust and nice tires.
meh.. just depends on the skill level of the two riders..

you could put nicky hayden on a stock ninja 250 and me on a $30,000 sv650 with every conceivable modification known to man... and I bet nicky would still smoke me.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
yah but thats going to extremes i'm saying to average riders. but i'm sure nicky could rip on a 250 that be awsome to watch!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts