Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm interested in your opinions on the following:

I'm ready to change engine oil; so, I just double checked in the SV 650 manual as to the correct level of oil. Although I always thought this was trivial procedure--to my suprise, there are two method discussed in the manual.

1. On page 7-13 it states: 'Hold the motorcycle vertically ... THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL SHOULD BE BETWEEN "L" (LOW) AND "F" (FULL) LINES'.

and

2. On page 7-17 it states: 'Turn the engine off ...THE ENGINE OIL SHOULD BE AT THE "F" MARK.'

These two different requirements are confusing. In the past, I've always maintained the oil level somewhere between the Low and Full lines in the sight glass. I was always under the impression that this was an APPROXIMATE measurement. However, the second requirement from the manual stating THE ENGINE OIL SHOULD BE AT THE "F" MARK makes me wonder if I'm missing something. I appreciate any insight, Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
it's just like a dip stick on a cage, the full line means full, do not fill over that line, it it not necessary to add until it is below the low line

·
Registered
198 Posts
FWIW, in my other bikes' manuals, they say to fill between the L and F line. i dont think you should worry if you're slightly below F. i tend to keep mine a little over halfway in between the L and F lines.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a 02 sv and i keep my oil level slightly above the middle portion in the sight glass that's after a oil change i use to bring up to the full line after a oil change but stopped doing that after finding oil in the air box,slightly above the middle seems to be perfect for me.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Anywhere between the lines is fine. You don't want it right at the "F" - and certainly not over. This can cause the clutch to drag - making shifting stiff/notchy and neutral hard to find. I keep mine about 2/3 full.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the information. I guess my original concern was the discrepancy I found in the owners manual (please read original message for the pages and the content). On one page it's stated that the oil level should between F and L and on another it states that it should be at F. This was my original confusion that the manual had conflicting claims. Has anyone else seen this? Opinions? Currently, I keep the level at or near full.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What Suzuki is referring to is after a oil change it should be at the full line,again you should be good if your at about 3/4 full in the sight glass.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Do you guys need to readjust the level between services?
How often?

I´m half way to next bike service and yesterday found that level´s approaching the low line (almost there), I´m completely sure that in the previous oil change the level was near F.
In only 2000 miles is this a big comsumption?

My bike has around 19K miles (29.600KM~). 650 K3. Don`t remember this happening before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts