Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 00 SV650S for a while now and totally love it. On a fast ride last week I noticed something about the steering that made me wonder, as it hasn't been an issue on previous bikes I've owned.

When I apply the front brake during cornering, the bike has a strong tendency to try to stand up straight rather than staying neutral in the turn. Is this common with SV's or is there something I should be concerned about?

The previous owner told me that he had installed stiffer fork springs but I don't know the details. Otherwise I think the suspension is stock. Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
That is natural. Braking in a corner will try to stand the bike up....you haver to counter it. Also, try braking before you get into the turn, so all you have to think about is rolling on the throttle at the apex.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Front braking in a turn is generally not recommended on any 2 wheeled vehicle. Set your entrance speed early and use the rear brake lightly if needed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, there is the technique of trail braking which does help the bike tip into the corner after you've initiated braking. It's most commonplace in track riding / racing.

But, for 90%+ of street riders out there, I would agree -- get your braking done before the turn.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
yeah if you do use front brake in mid corner you better be real effing smooth with it or bad stuff will happen. :-*

·
Registered
505 Posts
With the geometry more biased toward front-high, rear-low the tendency to stand up under front brake in the turn is much stronger. Maybe the fork springs are too stiff for you, keeping the front end from compressing in the turn?

·
Registered
539 Posts
works that way on motogp on my playstation. just cant turn with the brakes on.
on the street i try to get as much of my braking done before i turn. the front tire can only do so much at a time. i would hate to be on my brake leaned over and hit some sand, antifreeze, water, oil, etc... but yea braking will stand it up. getting on the thottle aslo stands it up.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the comments - much appreciated!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts