Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What RPM do you shoot for for a strong corner exit?

I have thought higher is better, but I not sure.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
treoff said:
What RPM do you shoot for for a strong corner exit?

I have thought higher is better, but I not sure.
depends on the corner and how much your leaned over, too much power to the rear wheel and you'll spin it out from under ya

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
are you riding on the track or the street?

·
Registered
505 Posts
In general, for a single "standard" corner, you want to be in the meat of the torque curve so that you have the best drive.  Conditions vary however and some corners will require you to short-shift and exit slightly below optimal torque or some you may exit high in the rev range because you're going to be immediately flipping the bike over through a slower corner or something.  The main thing is you don't want to be hitting the rev limiter on corner exit or it will kill the drive and possibly cause you to crash, so better off too low than too high.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jarelj said:
In general, for a single "standard" corner, you want to be in the meat of the torque curve so that you have the best drive.  Conditions vary however and some corners will require you to short-shift and exit slightly below optimal torque or some you may exit high in the rev range because you're going to be immediately flipping the bike over through a slower corner or something.  The main thing is you don't want to be hitting the rev limiter on corner exit or it will kill the drive and possibly cause you to crash, so better off too low than too high.
That makes sence. I wasn't sure what was more useable/benifical at the torque peak or at the HP peak.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
the idea on the track is to come out of the corner having accelerated most of the way through the corner. since you can't really shift while leaned way over, you're revs are going to be pretty high coming out of a track corner. but you don't want to be bouncing of the rev limiter-- you want to have enough spare RPM left at corner exit to continue accelerating out of the corner and then to shift once you get the bike back upright.

beyond this general description, there are lots of specific cases and every corner is slightly different.

·
Registered
786 Posts
since all corners are the same, I usually just park the bike on the side of the road and walk around the corner. It's eaiser that way.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kingnothing said:
since all corners are the same, I usually just park the bike on the side of the road and walk around the corner. It's eaiser that way.
:p

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
As was mentioned above, there's a few variables to think about since all corners are different.

As far as staying on the HP or torque peak, you get more acceleration at the torque peak. Just make sure you have the traction to support the drive.

·
Registered
336 Posts
i've never had a problem spinnin it up on the street, and i get on it hard at full lean. If it's a right hander i've been known to shift towards the exit as i'm beginning to straighten it out. Havent been to the track yet though...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't even worry about it. Just ride the bike at what feels comfortable to you. The SV has so much torque over such a wide powerband that there is no real need to be exact in your gear selection. It is like the old V8 cars, ultra easy to drive.

Probably the biggest shifting mistake people new to V-twins make is to shift too much. You don't need to spin the motor up like an I4 to get a good drive out of a corner. The SV will pull from quite low in its powerband all the way up to 10K or so.

Too much shifting will actually slow you down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts