Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons to each seat? Looking at a possible upgrade.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
328 Posts
From what I've heard, the Sargent is the way to go. Most say that the Corbin is too hard but it is suppose to break in over time which some say never happens. There have been topics on this subject here before if you go to google and type Corbin/Sargent svrider.com it should bring them up. Hopefully someone with first hand experience will chime in though. Good luck!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Never tried the Corbin, but based on comments concerning how hard the seat was and the amount of break-in miles, as well as the horrible customer service (if you have a problem) convinced me to go with a Sargeant.

In my opinion, the Sargeant is more comfortable than the stocker, but I'm not that impressed. I still get the "butt burn" after a couple of hours. For me, the Sargeant forces me back and I feel like I'm stretched out. I read in another thread that the Sargeant was better on the nakeds (I think).

A lot of people go with Spencer at www.greatdaytoride.com and have their stock seat modified.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have not had the chance to take my sargent on a long trip (will in May) but I'll agree with it making you sit farther back. without my handle bar mod I do not think I would like it that much. With the handle bars it is very comfy.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Haven't tried a Corbin, but I love the Sargent. Takes about 100 miles to break it in, after that, you can ride all day.

It's nice and wide in the back for touring/cruising, but you can scoot up forward on the seat a little for more aggressive riding.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is the Corbin is a bit lower than the factory seat. Great for shorter riders, but may be torture on the taller variety (less space between the seat and pegs).

I love my GreatDaytoRide.com-modified stocker.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
The Sargent (at least on the first gen) is also shorter than the stock piece of shi(r)t seat.

I've had mine for about a year now. Hated it for the first few hundred miles, but after I got used to it, man, it's a great seat. I can ride for hours and feel great. My back gets sore before my rump does. Heck, at the Rally last year, we did 7-9 hour riding days for a week straight and I felt great.

It makes aggressive riding easier for me because I now feel like I'm sitting "in" the bike, as opposed to on top of it.

I'm now looking into a Corbin, as I've heard that it's better suited to the "S" model. Now that I have the GSX-R front end on the bike, I basically have a naked "S".

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Corbin customer service is absolutely abysmal. Most horrid experience I have ever had buying on the interwebs. Shame, as it's a fantastic seat.

If you can buy one anywhere w/o having to deal with Corbin direct, go for it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i have a corbin installed by the pervious owner so i can't tell you about break in or compare it to stock but i have had no problems with it. (on an s)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did 3000 miles in 400-500 mile chunks last summer on a new Corbin without any problems. I'm 5' 11" and it did make the bike slightly more cramped but again no issues with the trip I took. I could not have done the trip on the stock or the Suzuki gel seat.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is the Corbin is a bit lower than the factory seat. Great for shorter riders, but may be torture on the taller variety (less space between the seat and pegs).

I love my GreatDaytoRide.com-modified stocker.
Look...I've posted this a bunch of times and no one seems to catch on about Corbin's SV650 saddles.
They do offer a "stock" configuration that is about 1" lower than the factory SV seat is when compressed. This is because of how heavily scooped out the shape is.
For NO EXTRA CHARGE Corbin will make your saddle ANY height you wish. I currently have one that is 1" over their stock configuration and it gives me much more leg room (I am 6'1")
I have ridden a Sargent and did not like the "sweet spot", finding it too far back to be comfy.
As to corbin's choice of material for foam, it IS hard but DOES break in after a LOT of miles (my last 3 Corbins have required 2-3K miles before they developed a comfy zone). After that you are good to go for a loooong time.

For the reality that IS Corbin's Customer Service, IT DOES NOT EXIST. As Corbin grew in reputation and size required to meet the market, they terribly neglected the Customer Service aspect. I have had Corbin saddles Lost, sent back with no change made to a problem it was returned for, sent back with tears in the leather, sent back with wrinkles in the leather (my current saddle) and have spent MONTHS dealing with them TRYING to get things right. Sometimes you have to put up with "issues" to get what you want.

If any of you are thinking of buying Corbin and are ordering a taller seat or one with no welts, etc, ASK FOR SERGIO. He is the Manager and WILL do what he can to get the others in line.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The previous owner had put a Corbin on my my SV. When I first sat on it it felt really wide and hard. I haven't swapped it out with the stock seat yet so, I don't know how they compare. Don't think I would have spent money on the Corbin.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I sent my corbin back 3x for wrinkling issues. They never fixed the crack in the bracket's weld either. I would go with Sargent or I have an uncovered stock seat and foam if you want to have it recovered. I'll just give it to you. Just pay for the shipping. The seat pan and foam are from an 03 with the higher subframe so it might not fit a newer model.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Why anyone would put that much energy into Corbin's BS service is beyond me.

The beauty of a Sargent is that it has no "sweet spot". Why would you want to get trapped into one seat position? The entire Sargent seat is a sweet spot. I have mine on an "S" and I'm 6'0 @ 200#. It affords me total comfort at all seat positions and that includes balls up against the tank or sliding back a bit to sit on the flat spot. Every shift of your butt gives you a comfortable spot.

Now that I have Convertibars, I'm getting even more position use out of my Sargent and long rides are not an issue in the least.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I might need to get the Convertibars then. The most comfortable spot on my Sargent is towards the back, on the flattest spot. Now that I have clipons, placing my ass in that spot puts strain on my back because I'm only 5'7"--I'm leaning forward quite a bit if I scoot back.

Now then, this position is great if I'm railing through turns, but not so great on slab.

I can sit fairly straight up and down if I scoot forward on the saddle, but then I'm supported by a much smaller area of the seat. I'm no fatty, at only #150, but it's not as comfortable as the rear part of the seat.

I've heard that the Corbin's seat is shaped better for this type of riding.

Am I making any sense at all?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Perfect sense.

At 5'7, I could see that being a significant reach with clip-ons. Even at 6' I've had issues with discomfort but not brought on so much by the seat itself, just the body position. The older one gets, the tougher those clip-on positions become on certain body parts. On one of my last evening jaunts prior to installing the Convertibars, after about an hour's worth of good twisties, my "Man-Taint" was in so much pain I thought I was gonna die. Seating position was the critical factor along with the contributing factor from an EVS undergarment I was wearing under my leathers that really created a problem.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I'm going to look at a Sargent tomorrow. Maybe I'll take the stocker along to compare the shape. I'm starting to get a little worried, because I'm also vertically challenged at 5'6", and have an S. I like to spend twisty time with the boys in very close proximity to the tank.

If the slopes on the Sargent make that impractical, I might have to pass.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The most comfortable spot on my Sargent is towards the back, on the flattest spot.
^^ I agree completely. I have the SWATT's 2.5" rise clip-ons and it does raise my position slightly, it still causes some butt burn after a couple of hours. I can ride "on the tank" but will start to get a pain and it helps some to shift back, but eventually that starts to bother me as well.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
saddles are like helmets

everybodies head is different
everybodies butt is different

who's to say which is better for anybody but themself

I say neither, go for a Russell Day Long saddle, custom fit to your weight & butt shape & size , or a Meyer

1 - 20 of 29 Posts