Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a random observation from this morning. The moto cops in my town ride Honda ST1300s, but wear no jacket or gear other than half helmets and gloves. Seems odd to me that they wouldn't at least wear a jacket. Do cops in your area wear gear?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Most cops are unfortunatley stuck wearing outdated uniforms due to 'tradition'. Philly cops wear nothing but the tiny helmet, soft leather boots and leather jacket. Some invest into armor they can wear with the uniform, IE Bohn stuff.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Just bullet proof vests and spiffy boots
same here!

I have no idea why they do so. I could understand the 3/4's helmet (for speaking to the public), but they could use flip ups?

I guess that they're just heavily trained to ride the bike.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
We have one Philly Cycle Cop that is so Roided out, his Muscles would probably just bounce him back of the ground. Seriously, he looks like he stepped off the set of one of the original Predator movies. But no, no formal cycle protection.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i see cops on the interstate going 80+ on their harleys wearing nothing but some boots and their uniforms.

·
Registered
387 Posts
have only 1 harley riding cop here in Sheboygan, only gear is a helmet, gloves and high boots otherwise it is the standard uniform.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
same here!

I have no idea why they do so. I could understand the 3/4's helmet (for speaking to the public), but they could use flip ups?

I guess that they're just heavily trained to ride the bike.
I asked a CHP last year about the helmets and gear. They aren't allowed to wear full-face helmets and heavy gear because it intimidates the public, and cops are very big on public image. The CHP I spoke with was in favor for wearing flip-ups, but they were not approved for wearing (yet).

Training has nothing to do with the gear they wear. It's all about tradition and budgets. The CHP said that most motorcycle cops would love to wear better gear, but it's not the uniform. Some of the older cops fight it because they don't want to wear gear, though, especially in hot summers.

Similarly, the Fire Department dresses the firemen in polyester. This is a big no-no with fire as that stuff melts into your skin. I used to do pyro for special effects and we always had a Fire Safety Official who was always the ONLY person who did not dress in natural materials or nomex. The irony was great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've never seen a motorcycle cop wear anything but a half helmet and standard issue boots. I've seen a few that even wear short sleeves.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
My neighbor was a Coral Gables motorcycle cop until he crashed and messed up his knee. I asked him why they don't wear more protective riding gear and he seemed to either not understand the question or to have never considered the matter. I said "You know, like armored jackets and armored pants, etc." He said that he guessed that it would be too hot. After about three knee surgeries he is now on medical retirement.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Same here in Hawaii with the lack of gear. Few years back, we had a cop take a low speed spill while in the Presidential motorcade for Dubbya. He ended up dying from his injuries.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Yup out moto cops ride harleys mostly with a random beemer here and there, their all squids...unless it's raining, then they magically have a leather armored jacket to ride in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts