Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my cooling fan has failed. Does the SV actually need a working fan? Would it be safe to say that as long as I'm not in stopped traffic and in hot weather I'll be fine without a fan?
Or, should I get off my lazy ass and fix/replace it?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
So my cooling fan has failed. Does the SV actually need a working fan? Would it be safe to say that as long as I'm not in stopped traffic and in hot weather I'll be fine without a fan?
Or, should I get off my lazy ass and fix/replace it?
Well, I wouldn't think that as long as your not in heavy traffic for long or in a really hot climate that it would be an immediate problem. I would just check ebay from time to time for somebody selling one that wasn't asking too high a price for it.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
in 135k, the fan on my SV came on exactly 3 times and I can remember exactly where I was each time.

first time was with about 38k, it freaked me out, a new sound coming from my engine

are you sure the fan is bad and not the switch/sensor that that turns it on ?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
in 135k, the fan on my SV came on exactly 3 times and I can remember exactly where I was each time.

first time was with about 38k, it freaked me out, a new sound coming from my engine

Yeah, It's usually the switch that goes bad. The motors themselves are pretty tough and like RandyO said doesn't come on that often thus making them actually last for quite some time. I'd check that switch first before jumping on a used fan.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
September in Minnesota? Probably no rush to fix it, but you may not want to let it slide too long. Some day next Summer you might get stuck in traffic and forget that you don't have a working fan. That could be bad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure what the cause is. The manual has some recommendations on how to diagnosis the problem... For the time being, I'm going to enjoy the rest of my warm days and ride then deal with it over the winter.

Most likely I'll be posting a thread needing help. Haha(not joking)

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Just make sure the fan blades aren't against the radiator and keeping it from turning. If that happens, and it manages to get turning it'll wear a hole in the rad...which is bad.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The thermal switch screwed into the radiator is what turns it on. You can test the fan by shorting across the terminals (same as just closing the switch) and see if the fan runs. If it doesn't, you need to make sure that you have 12V+ power to one side of it, and that the fan is grounded.

If this does get the fan to run, then the switch is suspect. New ones are pricey from Suzuki, but an inexpensive alternative can be found here.

It's actually for a BMW car, but it has the same threads and turns the fan on at a slightly lower temperature. (makes no difference, though)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts