Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to do some standard maintenance before a big trip coming up and decided that flushing my radiator would be a good idea. I was following the manual and all was going well, if a bit messy, but then when I pulled the reservoir hose off the radiator, only a few drops came out. I thought that was strange, figured it would at least be a stream. I shook the bike back and forth a bit to see if that did anything, but nothing happened.

I looked at the fill line on the reservoir, but couldn't really see any indication if it was full or empty, which was a bit disconcerting. So I lifted up the tank to get to and uncapped the reservoir. I poured some water in (distilled, of course), but instead of running out the hose at the bottom, or through the overflow, it just burbled out of the top, along with some coolant. So the reservoir wasn't empty after all, but nor does it seem to be draining. The water that I poured in is still just sitting at the top of the neck.

Am I doing something wrong here and missing something obvious? I really don't want to have to pull the carbs and all to get to the reservoir, but I also don't want to be going on my trip with a ticking bomb, so to speak. So, should I be worried?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Just an update for anyone that has a similar issue and finds this post, I found the source of the issue. It was the hose connecting the reservoir to the radiator. I had started to pull the bike apart to get to the reservoir itself, but then I thought to try the hose and see if that might be the issue. As soon as I pulled the hose off the bottom of the reservoir, coolant came out in a steady stream and made a bigger mess of things.

As it turns out, the was completely clogged with calcium or lime or something where it bends upward from the reservoir. I was able to get it out with some squeezing and squirting water through the other end, and everything flows smoothly now.

Apparently the reservoir isn't crucial to the operation of the bike, because it's likely been clogged for a while now, and I never had any issues with overheating or anything.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You did take the coolant tank fill top off right? Sometimes, if you don't take the rubber stopper off the fill neck on the coolant tank, there is enough pressure to prevent the coolant from draining from the small black hose.

I had a bunch of calcium / scum on my radiator tank, I can see how it that stuff gets loose it can plug up the hose. I removed the two bolts, and pulled out the tank and used a bottle brush to clean everything.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The reservior should breath through the cap...that way coolant can move back and forth. The cap prevents dirt from getting into the coolant. I found the bottom of the tank somewhat clogged when I removed the overflow tube from the radiatior...in other words it didn't want to drain. I only had to blow into the line...which resulted in hearing bubbles in the reservior. It then drained fully through the hose.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was trying to do some standard maintenance before a big trip coming up and decided that flushing my radiator would be a good idea. I was following the manual and all was going well, if a bit messy, but then when I pulled the reservoir hose off the radiator, only a few drops came out. I thought that was strange, figured it would at least be a stream. I shook the bike back and forth a bit to see if that did anything, but nothing happened.

I looked at the fill line on the reservoir, but couldn't really see any indication if it was full or empty, which was a bit disconcerting. So I lifted up the tank to get to and uncapped the reservoir. I poured some water in (distilled, of course), but instead of running out the hose at the bottom, or through the overflow, it just burbled out of the top, along with some coolant. So the reservoir wasn't empty after all, but nor does it seem to be draining. The water that I poured in is still just sitting at the top of the neck.

Am I doing something wrong here and missing something obvious? I really don't want to have to pull the carbs and all to get to the reservoir, but I also don't want to be going on my trip with a ticking bomb, so to speak. So, should I be worried?
Yep, it is almost impossible t o see the coolant level in the overflow tank. I have tried with a very high powered flood light, still could not see the level. Sorry I can't help you more. I have other problems with the cooling system.

·
Registered
972 Posts

Click here,

These machines use an Open-Atmospheric Overflow catchment system which is not the same as a sealed pressurized, "Expansion" system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts