Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i got a 2005 sv650s, I dropped the motor oil out and it had coolant in it. So I pulled off the water pump and replaced the mechanical seal because it was distorted. I also dropped the motor and replaced the gaskets and rings while I was in there. I remounted the motor, put oil in, then filled up my radiator. Apparently the coolant went straight to the motor oil. Again. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
That sure sounds like a gasket isn't sealing properly somewhere. Base, head and clutch side cover gaskets are the only ones that keep coolant out of the oil...I think. Maybe start with the side cover and inspect the gasket and check the water pump housing for possible crack? Once you are positive everything is good to go in there.....flip a coin and the jugs have to come back off.

When you put the jugs on...did all the gaskets match up with the case/jug/head? Some motors can allow you to put a gasket on backwards and expose or block coolant and oil passages. Not sure if the 650 can fall victim to this....but that coolant is getting in somewhere! You've got to find it. Good luck!:)

·
Registered
184 Posts
The quick way to check if it is the head gasket:
Remove rad cap
Run motor until temperature valve opens (for me this is around 78-80°)
Pump the throttle a couple times (stay clear of the top of the rad)

If Rad fluid hits the roof the pressure in the cylinder is getting into the rad and you have a blown head gasket.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
With the valve cover open, you can see them in the head. They are what pop out if your coolant freezes. Much cheaper to put those in than to replace a cracked block (water expands when frozen).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea but nothing is getting frozen though it's summer in Michigan.. But you might be right chz I just picked the bike up a few months ago from a girl who didn't really take care of it

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I actually don't think you can get them from Suzuki. If you had one out you could possibly match one up at an autopart store. Spearsenterprises.com sells them (Gregg Spears).

I only suggested that because it seems whenever there is an oil/coolant issue, a freeze plug is the culprit. Chances are the girl knew about the issue and just didn't want to mess with it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea +1 tracee. I found a missing freeze plug in the rear cylinder. Thanks for the website, called em up and got some on the way! Can't wait to do some track days

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yea +1 tracee. I found a missing freeze plug in the rear cylinder
so....no trace of the old freeze plug? Would it not stay in that general area? Sounds like they are trapped inside/under the valve covers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts