Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to flush my cooling system and fill it with straight water + Redline Water Wetter for my upcoming track day. I've already bought the Water Wetter - and went looking for some distilled water - but haven't been able to find any yet. Wal-Mart usually caries it, but is currently sold out. The closest thing I saw was some "purified" spring water. The label said it was purified by reverse osmosis. Is that safe to put in my cooling system - or should I hold out until I can find some distilled water?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
huh, i seen people put in tap water. If anything, the lack of minerals in the water might draw away the minerals that make up the radiator but that doesn't happen to enough extent to cause any damage.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Just use tap water....... it will be fine.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
any drug store should have distilled water

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
what do the instructions for water wetter say? Follow them.

nevermind the stuff i was saying. Deionized water is the one you shouldn't use since it seeks outs ions.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
as lkm said, you should NOT use deionized water...I'm not a chemist, so I might not be exactly right, but it's something to do with the fact that the deionized water carries a certain charge (due to the lack of circulating ions) and will strongly attract any circulating ions - the only ions around are from the metal on the interior of the radiator, so it draws those out.  can cause pitting on the interior of componants.

tap water is full of more crap than you would believe.  safe to drink, of course, but not really good for the interior of your bike's cooling system.  full of stuff like calcium, fluoride, various salts, algae, and bacteria.  can cause deposits to build up on your cooling system's interior.

purified, spring, or drinking water will be a bit cleaner than tap water, but not nearly as good as distilled water.

distilled water is what you want.  try grocery stores, drug stores, convenience stores.  somebody in your town has got to have it.  keep looking till ya find it.

if you STILL cant find any, check drug store shelves near the wound care stuff for sterile water for irrigation...make sure it's WATER and NOT SALINE! (which will have "0.9% sodium chloride" on the label).  Easy to spot on the brands here, as the sterile water has blue letters on the label and the saline has orange lettering.  probably a bit more expensive than a gallon of distilled drinking water, but just as safe to use as distilled water and certain to be free from critters like bacteria, yeast, and algae.  it basically is regular steam distilled water, it's just prepared in an environment that is careful to keep microbes out.

personally, I wouldnt use anything but distilled water or medical sterile water.

this info gleaned from years of playing with water cooling systems for computers  ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Water purified through reverse osmosis will also draw the minerals out of your bike. Water is a universal solvent, and RO water has greatly reduced total dissolved solids. So the water will want to replace those disolved solids by taking them from the system.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
thejimdaddy said:
isn't boiled water distilled??
Thats what I was thinking...but wait...no its not what I was thinking...

I was thinking, evaporated water is distilled. Yes thats what I was thinking. Make your own dude.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
thejimdaddy said:
what about rain water??
I'm pretty sure when the rain falls from the sky it picks up poop particles that are in our extremely polluted air. Poop water is not OK.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
thejimdaddy said:
isn't boiled water distilled??
not exactly. distilled water is boiled until it is steam, then the steam is piped to another container, where it is cooled and turned back to water. all the junk disolved in the water is left behind in the first container (the boiler).

rain water is not terribly clean, even if you are in an area with relatively clean air. the rain droplets, as I understand it, form around a dust particle.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
rain water i the northeast is said to have the ph/acidity of vinigar

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Distilled water is what you want (and I believe what the Water Wetter label specifies).

Tap water, spring water, and water filtered by reverse osmosis or any process short of distillation (boiling and capturing the condensate) will contain metal ions which will promote 'rust' or corrosion in the SV's aluminum radiator.

Rain water may or may not contain metal ions, but is almost universally slightly acidic, as noted above.

HTH

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow... I didn't expect so many replies so soon! Thanks.

There's no way in hell I'm putting my tap water in my bike (or cars). I've seen what gets left behind from it in my shower heads, faucet screens, ice maker filter, etc. Every vehicle shop manual and owner's manual I've ever read specified distilled water for the cooling system, so that's all I've ever used. Like I said, I usually buy it at Wal-Mart - but they're currently sold out. I just wasn't sure if water purified via reverse osmosis would be a close enough substitute. I guess I'll keep looking for some distilled. Funny story... I also went to Advance Auto looking for it and couldn't find any, so I asked the guy at the register. He looked at me like I was crazy and said "what for?". I said "uh... I need some for my cooling system - but it's also used to top off batteries... I thought you guys might have some." He continued to look at me like I was some kind of alien and said "Oh... I just use water out of my faucet for that stuff." ::)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts