Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Couple of coolant change questions for 05SVS.

Step one in the service manual. “Remove the cowling (SV650S)” I can see how it might get in the way, is it really necessary to remove it?

Main question is the type of coolant? I know it should be “high quality ethylene glycol base anti-freeze, mixed with distilled water” and preferably silicate free. Easier said than found. I’d like to stick with the generic automotive stuff, opposed to the overpriced motorcycle specific coolants. I also don’t want to run just water or water wetter.

The only one I have found so far that is explicitly stated to be silicate free is Prestone Extended Life 5/150.

What would a Suzuki repair shop use if I took my bike in and asked them to replace the coolant? What do they use at the Suzuki factory? Any good recommendations?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
normally just run 50/50. brand don't matter. walmart cheapy stuff - never had any problems. i think it's prestone.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I would stay away from most of the automotive coolants available at Autozone. They are inexpensive because they use silicates and phosphates as cheap anti-corrosive additives.

Honda Pro ethylene glycol is under $10 a quart premixed. You need two quarts. $20 every two years is not expensive. This is what the dealer would most likely use. Honda chemicals are high quality and reasonably priced.

I use Engine Ice Propylene Glycol in my bike. It comes in two quart premixed bottles for $20.

http://www.engineice.cc/faq.html

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The Prestone Extended Life 5/150 says the following on the bottle.

- Silicate, phosphate, borate, and nitrate free
- Extended protection to all engine cooling system metals including aluminum.

20 bucks every 2 years isn’t that bad. For some reason I was thinking I would need almost a gallon total. Slight case of dyslexia, I was thinking the owner’s manual said 3.6 US qt, its actually 3.6 US pt (1.8 US qt).

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
a gallon would be a ton! haha. i guess you could just pour it all over the motor to keep it cool on the outside too lol.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I strongly recommend propylene glycol. It's safer for the environment, safer for pets, performs just as well, and is available everywhere.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went with the Honda coolant. It was only $5 a qt at the local Honda shop. Its ethylene glycol and there is an entire paragraph on the back of the bottle explaining how it’s silicate free.

I would have gone with the propylene glycol Engine Ice but it was twice as much. I figure the Honda stuff cost me about as much as a gallon of Prestone and I don't really have a use for the 3 extra qts of Prestone I would have ended up with.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I put Engine Ice in my 650S in prep for a track day next weekend. I did not remove the cowl but I had a little hose that made it easier to reach. At the very most just loosen 1 or 2 bolts to pull the fairing out a little.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Mine was a pita to fill with the fairing on, but probably not bad enough to remove it. I filled mine with a small funnel from wal-mart.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Couple of coolant change questions for 05SVS.

Step one in the service manual. “Remove the cowling (SV650S)” I can see how it might get in the way, is it really necessary to remove it?

Main question is the type of coolant? I know it should be “high quality ethylene glycol base anti-freeze, mixed with distilled water” and preferably silicate free. Easier said than found. I’d like to stick with the generic automotive stuff, opposed to the overpriced motorcycle specific coolants. I also don’t want to run just water or water wetter.

The only one I have found so far that is explicitly stated to be silicate free is Prestone Extended Life 5/150.

What would a Suzuki repair shop use if I took my bike in and asked them to replace the coolant? What do they use at the Suzuki factory? Any good recommendations?
It is not necessary to remove the cowling. My 06' SVS has enough clearance to remove the cap and refill using a long thin funnel. If you find that the clearance is too tight, you can just remove the one bolt on the right side holding the fairing on the frame. The side fairing is very flexible, you will have plenty of room to stick a funnel in there.

Note: I attached a pic with the funnel (orange funnel) I used to do my coolant change on two of my SVS.

As for coolant, I just bought the Honda HPD fluid, which is already pre-mixed at 50/50 and sold at most bike shops for $5.00 a quart. You will need a little more than 2 quarts. Make sure to buy a gallon of distilled water to flush out your system before you refill.

On my two SVS, the 2006 I didn't need to remove the fairing bolt, I had plenty of clearance to just take the cap off and stick the funnel in. For the 2003, the original radiator was damaged and I replaced it with naked models radiator (without the extension). In order to get enough clearance, I had to take the one side bolt off to loosen the fairing enough to get a funnel in there.

EDIT: Oh man, I didn't realize I replied to an ancient post! How do these things keep getting brought up?

·
Registered
229 Posts
blue seems to be such a common color i am reconsidering painting my bike blue. maybe white now?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I put Engine Ice in my 650S in prep for a track day next weekend. I did not remove the cowl but I had a little hose that made it easier to reach. At the very most just loosen 1 or 2 bolts to pull the fairing out a little.
I would double check on legitimacy of engine ice with the trackday org or the track bc that stuff is still slick and people will be ****** if you leave it all over the track. You might consider water wetter and distilled water just for safety's sake

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would double check on legitimacy of engine ice with the trackday org or the track bc that stuff is still slick and people will be ****** if you leave it all over the track. You might consider water wetter and distilled water just for safety's sake
I checked first:
Advanced and Intermediate group riders must use water or water wetter or a non-ethyl glycol based anti-freeze/coolant. Approved Poly Glycol brands are: Evans, 7th Gear, Liquid Performance, and Engine Ice.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I checked first:
Advanced and Intermediate group riders must use water or water wetter or a non-ethyl glycol based anti-freeze/coolant. Approved Poly Glycol brands are: Evans, 7th Gear, Liquid Performance, and Engine Ice.
Das cool! Wasn't trying to be a jerk, just wanted to throw it out there in case :rimshot:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts