Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to talk myself out of a new bike. I really want to do more sport-touring, 500+ mile days. I'm thinking of things I could get for my '02 SVS to make it a little more comfortable. Personally I don't find my bike comfortable in the least. Probably has to do with my weight (high) and back (long). If you thought/done this can you share what you've done? So far I'm thinking:

- Lower Pegs - My knees start to hurt after 5 or 6 hours
- Higher Windscreen - My double-bubble pushes all the wind/bugs right at my face - Any recommendations?
- Seat - I have a stock seatpan I'm going to re-cover, other wise it's corbin
- Bar Risers - My back and wrists don't hurt though, I'd probably be good without these
- Hard bags - I have a highmount, do hardbags have heat shielding on the back?

Lower pegs is the only one that I can't find. More comfortable seat is the only one I desperately want.

Please share any opinions/recommendations you have have. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
As for pegs, methinks you could obtain (buy from Ebay or trade a nekkid SVer who wants higher rearsets) the lower non S model pegs and shift linkage and bolt right on, provided the generation is the same.

I'd offer to trade you mine, but what with the exchange rate and all, I'd only get about 3/4 the hardware...

Just kidding, man. Should be a straight bolt on once you find the proper parts.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
non s rearsets, good idea, or mount some "highway style pegs" for long cruising

windscreen http://www.zerogravity-racing.com/sportbikes/suzuki_sptbks/156.htm
the touring model

the corbin is nice if you have a bigger size butt, the gel seats are hard to find and have some waterproof issues, i've never seen a sargent seat on an sv

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have been working on this too. Here's what I've done:

-Zero Gravity sport-touring windscreen. I like it, much better than stock (though the double bubble I have no experience with).
-Suzuki Gel Seat. I got it from ebay, but they are kind of hard to find. I got lucky and was able to snipe one for about $80 USD

I was curious about the non-S model footpegs and stuff. Has anyone done this? Is it a straight bolt-on for the S model? How much different is the foot position? This is my main concern, as I am 6'3" and the knees is where riding pain starts setting in first.

I'd also like to get some risers, but nothing too aggressive. Just an inch or two up and back would be allright with me. A decent throttle lock might be an OK substitute here, because then I could alternate resting an arm on the tank or a knee.

Anyone have any soft bags they would like to recommend?

Great idea for a thread!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I did all of those things except the hard bags and I routinely take the bike on 6-10 hour jogs with no pains, great gas mileage, and lots of fun. I also added heated handgrips and wired a link for an electric vest - nice to stay warm when it is cool. The neat thing with this modification was that I worked the moderating dials into the preexisting holes in the dash - they look and work great. I will get the details on this set up when I get home and can look up the manufactures.

I opted for a RKA set (tank, tail, and side bags) of soft bags due to the fact that I they are light, water proof, and hard bags are heavy and bulky. One of the RKA owners rides a SV and the set fits like a glove.

I installed the peg lowering plates with an extended shift linkage that I found on ebay, but I can't find the link quickly, though I'll keep looking. This mod is great for those of us with old hockey knees.

I installed the suzuki turing windscreen and it is just high enough, I guess I would not mind it being just a bit highter.

I installed a converti-bar set, and love it. my back is now straight when I ride and I no longer experience any back or neck pain. Due to the clearance between the forks and the front body work on the '03 I can not lower the bars as far as I would like for sport riding, but for touring they are exceptional.

I also opted for the suzuki gell seat - the only seat available for an '03 when I bought the bike. I have no complaints about the seat, but I have read about others who like the sargent or corbin seats better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Servility said:
If you thought/done this can you share what you've done? So far I'm thinking:

- Lower Pegs - My knees start to hurt after 5 or 6 hours
- Higher Windscreen - My double-bubble pushes all the wind/bugs right at my face - Any recommendations?
- Seat - I have a stock seatpan I'm going to re-cover, other wise it's corbin
- Bar Risers - My back and wrists don't hurt though, I'd probably be good without these
- Hard bags - I have a highmount, do hardbags have heat shielding on the back?

Lower pegs is the only one that I can't find. More comfortable seat is the only one I desperately want.

Please share any opinions/recommendations you have have. Thanks.
I've made the conversion on my 2003 SV1000S. Here's what I have thus far:

Suzuki OEM Gel Seat - no complaints
Helibars - just the right feel
Buell footpegs - about an inch lower - makes more difference than I thought it would. Don't know if they would work on an '02.
Suzuki OEM taller windscreen - would like it a bit taller
Heated grips - great!
Givi E450 hard case mounted on converted passenger seat - precludes carrying a passenger, but requires no tools to put back stock.

The ergos are just right for me - 6'1".

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
BTW-- If you have frame sliders on your bike, you may be able to use them as props for legs ala freeway pegs. The Motosliders I have on my SVRat stick out enough I can rest the thinnest part of my leg (just below the knee) on them and stretch. If I really want to shake the kinks out, I just stand up on the pegs for a couple minutes semi-upright. Get a few stares from the cagers, and the kids all think I'm about to pull the baddest mongo wheelie in 2 wheel history :lol:

R

·
0 Posts
I am in the process of doing the same thing. I don't think it has to do with your weight/heigh. I am 5' 6" and riding for a long period of time KILLS ME!!!!! I have been riding with some guys around here and we have been doing 6 to 8 hour rides on weekends (400miles+-). Most of their bikes are either cruisers or bikes with less aggresive riding postures. By the end of the day my hands are numb and my right leg is numb. I have also been thinking about getting a more comfortable bike for longer rides, but I will try working with the sv for now and see if I can get it to be more comfortable w/o loosing the more aggresive posture when I want it. I ordered convertibars and will install them soon. I will also look at an adjustable rearset. I can deal with the seat but for long rides I need the preasure off my wrists. Last choice I might get a Boulevard..

-Rámesis

·
Registered
6 Posts
an ipod with ear plugs and in-ear headphones really helps! I use foam plugs which i cut (bite really) in half and then in-ear headphones. I just ordered some Sony noise cancelling ones. The Shure E2c don't fit inside my helmet.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I'm kinda considering a few mods of this nature.

Highway pegs?!? I dont think I've ever seen them on a sportbike. Where the heck would they go? How would you mount them? Anyone that's done this? This is something I gotta see, even though I'm not terribly interested in it myself.

I wouldnt mind dropping my footpegs down a bit if it were easy and inexpensive enough. My knees dont hurt, but my leg muscles get very stiff and crampy (maybe I WOULD like some highway pegs!)

I was considering a new seat, but I've more and more become comfortable with the more aggresive "laying on the tank" riding position, which moves my butt almost completely off the seat, and gives it some relief after riding sitting back for a while. No really long tours YET, though :)

I am considering a new windscreen. When crouched over the tank in the aggressive riding position, the wind seems to hit me right exactly at ear level and it is LOUD!!! If I put the chinbar of my helmet all the way down on the tank it's nearly SILENT, but this strains my neck, is extremely uncomfortable, and I cant see the road :shock: So I'd like one just to lift the air up above my head while down laying on the tank, if for nothing else. I was considering the OEM windshield, and Zero Gravity's. I want something significantly taller than stock, but without messing up the sporty look of the bike. ZG's touring screen (just looking at pics on their website) looks VERY tall, and I'm afraid I wouldnt like the look of it on my bike. So...can anyone give me a comparison of the tallness and the outward curvature of the stock vs OEM touring vs ZG's touring and DB's?

nice idea for a thread!!!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I want my sv650 naked to have an a$$ like this.....

also for fun :)
[/quote][/quote]

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
gahdzila said:
Highway pegs?!? I dont think I've ever seen them on a sportbike. Where the heck would they go? How would you mount them? Anyone that's done this? This is something I gotta see, even though I'm not terribly interested in it myself.
someone here took a threaded rod and put it underneath the motor and put two rubber hoses on, i'll have to look for the thread, damn search function :roll: i was thinking of doing something similar

·
Registered
238 Posts
dcypfm said:
I was curious about the non-S model footpegs and stuff. Has anyone done this? Is it a straight bolt-on for the S model? How much different is the foot position? This is my main concern, as I am 6'3" and the knees is where riding pain starts setting in first.
I'm 6'3 also with a naked model, knees still hurt after awhile....We're just too damn tall brother. Don't know if a change out would even help.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've got a set of Buell XB9S footpegs on order, they were $26/pr and are supposed to lower the pegs by about an inch. They should be in this week, I'll post a few pics when I get them on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a Laminar Lip on my windshield. It raises the airflow about like a touring windshield, but it is removeable. When I lay down on the tank it keeps the wind off of my helmet. Before I installed the Lip, I felt like the windshield was directing the wind right into my face when I was sitting upright. I also installed Sun Clipon Risers. They are not as cool as some other setups, but they are a lot cheaper at $150 and they do the job. They are somewhat adjustable like the convertibars. The catch is that you can't convert back to stock without buying new clipons. That is ok with me, I don't plan on coverting back to stock. I have a Luggage Locker Seatsack on my rear seat. This thing is awesome. It slips over the rear seat, which means it is locked to the bike. It is rainproof and it will hold a regulation basketball with room to spare. They also make a variety of locking tank bags.

http://www.laminarlip.com/

http://www.cliponrisers.com/Riser page.htm

http://www.luggagelocker.com/

·
Registered
37 Posts
sstryk46 said:
I opted for a RKA set (tank, tail, and side bags) of soft bags due to the fact that I they are light, water proof, and hard bags are heavy and bulky. One of the RKA owners rides a SV and the set fits like a glove.

do the rka saddlebags let you go two-up? i'm looking for a soft bag set that i can go touring by myself with the full set (tail and sides) but able to go two up with just the saddlebags...i've tried a few before but they didnt allow my passenger to reach the footpegs...

- alex

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies.

Buell Footpegs - Can anyone confirm this? I can't easily get 1st gen non-S pegs, only first gen SVS's were shipped to Canada.

Bags - Anyone with a highmount found any saddlebags that somehow don't get burned? I have a Holeshot if it makes any difference.

Sliders - I've tried using my Intuitive ProSliders as highway pegs without any luck, I can't get my legs to stay up easily.

·
Registered
247 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am not sure if the RKA side bags would allow for a passenger... The bags do attach to the passenger foot peg mounts, but you still may be able to get a foot on the peg. The bags also mount using two straps that cross the passenger seat and I am sure that would not be conformable to sit upon for any length of time. I would check out the RKA web site and give them a call.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts