Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am about to purchase a 2007 Sv1000s with 1400miles on it. I really love the naked look so I am going to be converting it over to the naked style. Besides for the handle bars, taking of the fairings, and front headlight section; !st- How easy is this process? Is it something I can do myself?(I am not mechanically inclined at all). 2nd- What else besides for what I mentioned would need to be done? Thanks to everyone in advance!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Pretty easy - you can even keep the stock clip on handlebars, which makes it even easier. You'll need a headlight, mounting brackets, and a way to mount the gauges

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stock clip on handlebars are set lower(more sportier) correct? I like the more upright handlebars. Any suggestions on those? I did a lot of search on this site but there is not a ton of info on this particular conversion.

·
Registered
850 Posts
You can either:

1) Buy a set of bars and risers, and drill your top triple to accept them.

2) Buy bar's, and Naked upper and lower triple clamp /w risers.

3) Buy riser clip-on's like heli-bar's, SVRacing parts 3.5" rise clip-ons, or converti-bar's.

Either way you'll probably need longer brakes line, clutch, throttle, and choke cables. Or need to do some re-routing of said cables.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I can get a set of Pro Tapers se 7/8 handle bars. Would those work?

I can also get ahold of 05' sv650 naked model handlebars

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I might be able to bet a hold of Sv1000n handlebars. Assuming I have the Sv1000n handlebar how long should it take an experienced technician(hours) to convert an SvS to a naked version? Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just put a handlebar kit on my 07 SV1K. I'm not a "tech" just average capable, have a decent shop and tools but I'm slow and careful. Took me 8 hours time over two days. Don't use that in any way to estimate shop time, I'm REALLY slow.

The big issue with just drilling the stock top yoke and mounting handlebars is that the stock throttle cable, clutch line and brake lines will not be long enough for normal (safe) routing. You have to get longer cables / lines and replace.

I bought this kit: http://www.topyokes.com/comfort_kit_+_handlebars/331

Excellent quality, all black to match my black 07 S model.

Here's the only involved bit if you go the full kit route with new top yoke and cables::
Replacing the clutch line is easier by removing the airbox and replacing the throttle cable is easier by loosening and tilting the throttle bodies to gain access, be ready for all that. Not challenging, just lot's of relays and hoses and routing and clamps etc. to pull and put back. Extra bonus is, with the airbox out of the way you can unplug the ignition switch from the harness and move the stock top yoke to the bench for unbolting the ignition (it's bolted in with red locktight, heat may be necessary, mine didn't need heat but I have a good tool and worked on the bench - need TORX security S-40 wrench, Motion Pro sells a nice quality set, get the "longs", use the short end in the bolt, long end for torque).

Getting the handlebar and controls and "lines" all sorted just takes time and trial and error to get everything routed properly with no binding, rubbing and min and full fork extension and full handlebar swing.

Oh and one gotcha: of course brake / clutch fluid is deadly on paint and plastic. I removed the nose fairing (15 min job) and I use a Mighti-Vac and "speed-bleeders" to clear all the lines and old towels over everything on the bike near the lines. Nitril gloves and lot's of paper shop towels ready when removing the old lines.

I kept the stock fairing and headlight for now but I can see that the stock S wiring harness has a connector that won't mate to the standard "three blade plug" on an aftermarket light. You'll have to do a bit of wire soldering / crimp connector (or these: http://www.posi-lock.com/) work to put a "three blade plug" on the harness. Also you'll have to fabricate a bracket to hold the instrument pod, I haven't found one made by anyone other than Suzuki for the 03 N model. Not sayin' there isn't one - somewhere.

Here's a great place to look for top-shelf naked bike conversion parts: http://www.spieglerusa.com/ LSL makes a nice kit, headlights too. I went with CnC instead for looks, a great kit as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts