Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
So you ran into a bunch of idiots in one day, and washed out shortly after your buddy told you to go go go...why run from any car? If they catch you you WILL lose. I would have stayed pulled over on the side of the road and dealt with the situation off the bike, it could have avoided the accident. Im not judging but it sounds like the adrenaline may have clouded your judgement with that lady, you should have passed her MUCH slower than 50mph.

Hope you recover quick.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
1st - Glad your OK, and you were smart enough to have gear on.

For the rest, it was a string of unfortunate events, and I can see in the moment you are ready to throw in the towel. Reflect back first on all the positive experiences you have had on your bike, and see what out weighs what. Then you can look back at this day and think what did I learn? and how to avoid this in the future?

Lastly, it was Lake Lure on Mothers Day, man, between the churches and well to do homes at the bottom once you get towards the Lake, stuff like that is going to happen. I have a couple similar incidents around there, the residents really don't take kindly to bikes ripping down the road. Not saying you necessarily were, but they had you associated it with it.

Once you got past the Chevy, and had your next pull out, that would be a clear sign to tuck it back in and ride defensively. Or not pass the Chevy like your friend Jordan did. Bikes and Trucks don't mix too well, and its hard to get away in an area like that.

Best of Luck.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Umm... their are other idiot drivers out there. And if you can't seperate them from your riding, then maybe you should give it up. I cannot tell you how many idiots I have dealt with. I have wanted to punch the driver in the face, but I never do. Road rage is stupid. You were off your game from that pass and it shows.

The bottom line is this... Other people think they are WAY more important than you, especially when on the road. If you ride thinking this way, you'll survive a heck of a lot better.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I might be considering the same thing if I had a day like that. To add insult to injury, it does sound like you chose to ride less defensively than you might have. OK, you are not a beginning rider, but you should know by now that anticipating what other vehicles might do to try to kill you is a key to staying alive and intact on a bike. You can pretty well expect that vehicles in front of you, even the asshat slower ones, for no good reason except that it is there, are likely to pull out into a passing lane, and with your ability to accelerate rapidly they may not expect you to be next to them so quickly (they see you in the mirror IF they look and in the few seconds that it takes them to start to pull out, you are beside them). Keeping close to the right side of the road in twisties is a good strategy to help avoid morons like the older two-tone. Not making sure what the complete idiot in the SUV was going to do as you approached was a really poor choice. Ultimately, however, regardless of who is/was at fault or what you might/should have done on that day, motorcycles are more dangerous than most other vehicles. You have to weigh the risks and the benefits. If the bike comes out on the minus side, especially now that you have felt what can happen when things go sour, hang it up.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Almost sounds like it was an organized "kill the bikers" day at Lake Lure...

Tough stuff, and I'm not going to tell you one way or the other whether you should hang up your helmet. All I'll say is to give it some time.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Do not ride the lake lure 64/74 area in the spring/summer months. Its a death-ticket-injury wish!! The switchbacks there are fun, but all the other twisty roads are residential. If I lived there and had bikes screaming past my house all the time I would be ****** off too. Not going in favor of the road ragers, but that whole area gets overrun with bikes in the summer and it really gets to the locals. Since your in Marion hit the less traveled roads west. Im sure you have run highway 80 before? Lake lure has nothing on it.

Oh and what is the outcome? She is at fault, the suv, and so are both the a-hole roadragers. I would take this insident in court.
Is your body ok? What did the lady in the suv do/say after the crash?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
If some idiot wants to prevent me from passing. so much so, I am in range to "smack his mirror". I'd let him prevent me from passing.

When you lower yourself to the level of an idiot, and you are on two wheels, it may hurt a bit.

Consider this a lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Do not ride the lake lure 64/74 area in the spring/summer months. Its a death-ticket-injury wish!! The switchbacks there are fun, but all the other twisty roads are residential. If I lived there and had bikes screaming past my house all the time I would be ****** off too. Not going in favor of the road ragers, but that whole area gets overrun with bikes in the summer and it really gets to the locals. Since your in Marion hit the less traveled roads west. Im sure you have run highway 80 before? Lake lure has nothing on it.
Another local speaks the truth ...

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Sounds to me this escapade would compare to riding deals gap in the middle of the afternoon on a saturday and complaining there are a bunch of a$$hole cagers everywhere. I think you picked a bad time and place to go spirit riding and you got bit.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Dont go.
Dont let other drivers ruin your day. Just gotta take it slow and ride to save yourself.

I have had several close calls in a little over the 3,300 mi I have been riding.
In the first situation I woulda taken a side road for a lil bit or stopped somewhere and hung out. In the second I woulda had a butt pucker moment and started to understand its gonna be one of THOSE days so I should be careful. The 3rd situation wouldnt have happened with me bc I woulda been in high alert & just let them go. I woulda stopped and waited for the SUV regardless of how long they were gonna take. Woulda made sure I had an out incase some cager decided to keep going & NOT SEEN THE suv.

this weekend was not my weekend. I had a close call right outside my work's parking lot with an idiot almost running a red light (happens ALL the time @ the intersection @ my work) So I stop on a dime. point at him then keep on going. He will get his karma.
Later I had a truck try to come into my lane right beside me, Almost pull a stoppie to keep from being hit...only bad thing bout that is my dumbass didnt check behind me before I did it but luckly no one was behind me. and several other similar events.

Its turning into that time of year. Every close call and accident is nothing more than a learning experience. Each situation can be avoided. Just take your time, learn from your shortcommings and keep on riding. You dont ride because you are faster than a car or because u can smash their mirror or kick in their door. So dont worry about them, worry about you man, enjoy the ride & find a way to enjoy it. Even tho cagers are the enemy, you have to respect the fact that they are bigger & you WILL NOT win.
Hate to say it but your close call after the mirror incident might have been karma for u hitting the mirror.

I hope you get better soon and eventually ride again.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
.... 2 more corners down a Black SUV sits in a driveway waiting to pull out..(I'm thinking no friggin way is this SUV gonna do what I think its gonna do).. when she seen us she pulled out blocked her lane..I lock down the brakes and she stops..I'm thinking ok she seen us....YEP I get back on the gas (easy) and she pulls straight out the rest the way blocking both lanes putting me on the white line...BUT ITS TOO LATE FOR ME!!! I HIT HER PASS. SIDE FRONT FENDER going 50mph or better!!! The last thing I seen was her fender crumpling my upper fairing and flying over the bars. ...
I'm REALLY curious as to what her explanation was of her actions. Sounds intentional. How did this play out with the police? They DID come to the scene, right?!?!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Sounds like criminal charges are in order here. NOTHING justifies what she did. And to use the official emergency radio band to communicate this is also illegal, I'd imagine (and I also imagine that it might be recorded somewhere?). Get a lawyer. Now. Don't wait 'til tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.