Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, my bike is a 2005 sv650, and I am on the fence as to what tire to get to replace my flattened rear tire. I would like to say that I ride in the twisties more, but I honestly dont have any of them near me.

For now, I use it to commute to college and ride up to Atlanta on 75 to see friends and my parents. (I live south of Macon).

So knowing that I put 40-80 miles on my bike every day (20 miles to school, 20 miles back, and sometimes I go twice in one day) I need something that is going to last more than 5000 miles (prefered) and be sticky enough to take up to the mountains or on some backroads here (there are "some" but not alot).

I have a metzler m3 front tire now, and a stock dunlop rear tire. Ive been on the highway so much that the rear has squared off and feels quite odd when I lean over in turns. I love how sticky and firm the m3 is, but I dont know if I should really get another or look at something like the z6.

Comments?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I live in Washington State, which has highs in the 90s in the summer and lows in the teens in the winter. Average temp in the summer is in the high 70s and winter is in the high 30s/low 40s. It rains a lot. We have a maritime climate in Western WA, meaning we don't get the extremes as much as a lot of other places. I ride basically year round.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Pirelli diablo stradas , I've been running regular diablos for 2 years now with no problems honestly have nothing bad to say about them. the stradas are basically the same tire with more grooves in the tread and a harder compound. I've been getting about 5k out of the diablos (more from the front obviously) so I'd assume you can probably get like 6-7k out of the stradas as long as your not doing burn outs.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I may look into the Pilot road 2ct :). BUT with my front tire being semi new (3000-4000 miles on it), I am undecided if I should get a new metzler M3 rear to match the front or just get a new front and rear pilot road 2ct tire?

How would the M3 behave on cold pavement?

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Roadtec or Strada will work well with the M3 front- neither company recommends mixing as the front's supposed to clear a track in standing water, but I've mixed brands and models like this for years without ill effects (must've done a thousand wet miles with the Sportec M1 front/Roadtec rear combo last year, and I'm on M1 front/Strada rear just now)

Strada and Roadtec are practically the same tyre by the way, so if it comes down to those buy the cheaper one, or the one you like the look of. The tread is different but the construction is (apparently) identical, the carcasses are definately the same and they're made in the same factory, on the same machines... No confirmation on the compound but it seems to be the case that it's also the same. Lots of people say the Strada is sportier- I've always suspected that's psychosomatic, everyone thinks of Diablos as sporty tyres ;D

The 2CT is no doubt a great tyre, but they're expensive... I suspect the new BT021 might have the beating of them, and they're generally cheaper, over here at least.

There's loads of great options now, you'll not likely be disappointed with any of the usual suspects- strada, 021, avon storm, roadattack, Pilot Road... They're all incredible tyres, better than sticky road rubber was only a few years ago and they last for ages. Great time to be buying long-lived rubber.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Metzler Roadtec Z6...got a set on now, good sport touring tire, long wear, I dony really trust the rear in the rain cause is slick down the center but otherwise its a good tire.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Metzler Roadtec Z6...got a set on now, good sport touring tire, long wear, I dony really trust the rear in the rain cause is slick down the center but otherwise its a good tire.
I've never had problems with my Z6 in the rain. I ride faster then most cars in the rain on them and they've never given me reason to throttle back. Just ease into turns, keep light hands on the bars and increase you're braking distance by 2x or 3x and going 70mph on wet highways isn't scary at all.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I've never had problems with my Z6 in the rain. I ride faster then most cars in the rain on them and they've never given me reason to throttle back. Just ease into turns, keep light hands on the bars and increase you're braking distance by 2x or 3x and going 70mph on wet highways isn't scary at all.
Turning isn't really the problem i agree. Off center of the tire is pretty good at channeling water away but because of the slick strip down the middle, logically, the likelyhood of hydroplaning the rear is much greater. Havn't had the problem yet but I've taking it pretty easy regardless.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I've spun up rear roadtecs in the wet from time to time, they're definately worse for it than most tyres, but they do it in a pretty predictable and stable way, both reaking loose and hooking back up. Plus, it's only really an issue when nearly straight so it's not all that likely to give you real difficulties if it does. Every time I've done it, it's been rider error too- but I don't want to talk it down too much, even though it was as safe as a big loss of traction in the wet can be, I still **** my pants ;D

·
Registered
587 Posts
Turning isn't really the problem i agree. Off center of the tire is pretty good at channeling water away but because of the slick strip down the middle, logically, the likelyhood of hydroplaning the rear is much greater. Havn't had the problem yet but I've taking it pretty easy regardless.
They are designed that way... the front tire channels the water out of the center while the rear has no tread. That is why Metzler (and most other tire man.) don't suggest mixing tires. They are designed to work together. I've never had a single issue with hydroplaning the rear. I have spun the rear, but every time that happened I was being stupid with the throttle.

·
Registered
579 Posts
love the stradas. just curious on the 2ct chart why d220's 'wear' longer than stradas...
Because they feel so crappy that people go slower and it lessens the wear over time. ;D

I just put on some Michelin Pilot Roads (original, not the 2) and I love the shape and feel of them. Looking forward to seeing how long they last. I too commute 50 miles per day and I ride the twisties hard on the weekends.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.