Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get my concealed weapons permit in two weeks. Do any of you guys carry concealed weapons while riding?

I have a full size 1911 .45 that I could put in a small-of-the-back holster but really don't want a gun on my back while riding. I plan to get an ankle holster for the snub nose revolver in the next week or so.

Any suggestions (other than not carrying one at all)?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Pocket carry a 442. First thing when you stop is remove the glove of your drawing hand so you have access to the pocket. Wearing bulky gloves with often bulky gear makes CC hard. No need to have access to it while on the bike. In traffic you can evade problems, and if someone gets the drop on you at a light, give them the bike and offer the helmet. That's what insurance is for.

Later,
Chrome...

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once I get my CWP I plan to conceal carry as much as possible. I also ride the SV as much as possible. It is more of a 'I'll have it when I get where I'm going' than a 'I want to pop a cap in a potential bike thief's ass'. Keeping the pistol in the bike compartment while traveling scares the hell out of me. I wouldn't care if the bike got stolen: I have insurance. But if any of my weapons were stolen I would be devastated and out $$.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Concealed carry is basically a pain in the a$$ unless you are committed to it, meaning you feel naked if you don't have a gun on you. That said, bikes and guns don't mesh too well. I'm thinking a good shoulder holster with a belt hold down would probably be the most secure and easy to deal with while wearing gear and riding. It puts the gun in a pretty good position to be unfelt while riding and less likely to be in a bad spot in a fall.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A guy I ride with carries every ride and does this.
That scares me more than keeping it on the bike. I don't like any weapon pointing at any part of me while carrying. At least on the ankle holster, the muzzle would always be pointing away. Just me, but as familiar as I am with firearms, I still find it hard to trust them..

·
Registered
88 Posts
I carry a S&W 9mm in my tank bag. It has a snap pocket on the top so getting to it is not an issue.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
That scares me more than keeping it on the bike. I don't like any weapon pointing at any part of me while carrying. At least on the ankle holster, the muzzle would always be pointing away. Just me, but as familiar as I am with firearms, I still find it hard to trust them..
that's why you're not supposed to keep it loaded and check the chamber...

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was expecting the thread to spiral into an ethics debate but it has stayed on track so far.. Just a reminder.. I am asking for personal experience with how people have carried, or seen weapons carried on a cycle. :)

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Actually you are supposed to. To many that is essentially the point of carrying concealed, to have it hidden and use it at a moments notice.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are correct. The only gun I have carried concealed was fully loaded, with safety engaged. I intend to carry a pistol, with a round in the chamber. Some may disagree but that isn't really the debate at hand..

·
Registered
835 Posts
I always conceal my .45 , wouldn't want a potential thief to think there is a free firearm to boot.

Shoulder holster and leather gloves.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was actually considering selling a .22 pistol in order to purchase a snub nose revolver specifically for the SV. Apparently concealing full size pistols isn't that uncommon.. I may reconsider and get yet another .45 autoloader instead.. ;D

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have a Ruger LCP 380 that I bought partially with 'Bike Carry' in mind. It's the size of my wallet in a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster. So, it rides great in a pocket somewhere.

If I am carrying something bigger, it is either in a Maxpedition Fatboy strapped down to the tail, or in my tank bag. But, mostly it's the LCP for me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have my CCW, but never carry. I'm a rather skinny guy with a fairly large gun Ruger P89. Makes it hard to not have it print.

I am curious on what the laws are with carrying/transporting a rifle on a motorcycle. I like to go to the outdoor range and shoot my FS2000 (mines black). When I want to go on a nice day and ride my bike there, can I just have it slung over my shoulder?

I'd have so many cops called on me driving down the road with that...

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
1 - 20 of 127 Posts