Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, So as my title states, I just completed the muffler chop on my sv650. I'd read ALL the threads and different ways this could be done and followed the thread that had the very helpful diagram of what the innards looked like. I cut about 8 inches off in between the honeycomb (cat?) and the 2nd chamber, getting rid of the first chamber. Everything was then crammed back in and all I can say is WOW, since riding with the stock can, I didn't even realize that the exhaust note was sooo baffled. I am super pleased with the change in sound, and length. (aprox. 14" now) My question is this; When I put the two pieces of internals back together they wouldn't fit quite, as the flow pipes inside the 2nd chamber were bumping up against honeycomb, so I flipped the piece with the honeycomb around and they fit into the outer can perfectly. Will flipping the honeycomb piece around have any ill effect on the bike? A few test rides have gone fine, with no noticeable problems. Just want to make sure I'm not going to hurt anything.
Oh yeah, pics will come after I clean up the endcap. (They don't call it a HACKsaw for nothin'!)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Will flipping the honeycomb piece around have any ill effect on the bike? A few test rides have gone fine, with no noticeable problems. Just want to make sure I'm not going to hurt anything.
Oh yeah, pics will come after I clean up the endcap. (They don't call it a HACKsaw for nothin'!)
I high doubt it's going to affect anything that negatively- your back pressure is still probably more healthy than most aftermarket slip-ons :)

Def get a video w/ audio of this guy!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, thanks. I didn't think it would hurt, but It's nice to have a second (more informed?) opinion! I'll get a vid up when it's done and cleaned, but from having watched every muffler chop video out there, just as everyone says, they really don't do it justice. The bike is deff. louder and deeper sounding, but that's really not hard when you compare to the stock can! (All this time, I thought the engine sound WAS the exhaust note! Now I know better!)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, managed to clean up my chop at work today. (Air powered dremel tools are amazing!) I installed two 3/16 rivets to hold the end cap in place. They aren't really the prettiest fix, but it should hold, since the is still a small portion of the lip that I rolled over where I couldn't rivet. After I got home I realized that the rivets are aluminium, is this a problem? Will they hold up to the pressure/heat? Should I drill them and put in SS rivets?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone? It's just that I wouldn't want the rivets to fail on the highway and A-screw my can, and B-possibly kill someone!
Anyway, thanks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have always used ss rivets on something like that, if the aluminum ones start to rattle they will wear out fast.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wisher,

Any chance you could post the link to the thread or threads you followed for this mod? I'm considering it myself. Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
burddoh, just google sv 650 muffler chop or exhaust chop. The first thing that comes up is this site, with links to 3 or 4 threads on how to go about it. Or use the search function on this site. There is a ton of information on this mod.
-Hohmie, thanks, I will try and replace those rivets asap! Also I'm looking for some sort of easily workable metal sheet that I could cut, wrap around the end of the can and fold over the tip, just to further clean up the seam where the end cap joins the can. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Put some heat to any sheet type metal and it becomes more pliable, you just need to find the right tool to roll it without making more of a mess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts