Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious of what bikes come with master cylinders we could use. I was looking around and I remember someone saying we could use the one from the Brembo equipped R6. What other options are out there. I ask mostly because not all of us can drop the large cash to afford a shiny new Brembo MC. Is there anyplace we could look up the piston sizes for other stock MCs? I ask because I see something like this on ebay and wonder if it would work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Duca...ewItemQQcategoryZ35615QQitemZ4607385603QQrdZ1

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
GSXR m/cs work, newer ones are radial too. I hear rc51s being used, but not sure if they share the same thread pitch for the banjo bolt. Even if it didnt, thats nothing hard to get around. I have a 2005 r6 m/c, although its stamped brembo, its noticeably different than the real thing. Seems better than the stock one though, and for 40$ for the m/c and lever, not too bad of a deal. It feels better when I run down my driveway and stop it. Havent ridden with it yet though.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well let me know how it goes when you get out and ride. I gotta find a good budget alternative. Can't see myself dropping the stack of cash required for one since this bike will rarely if ever see a track. Still would like to improve some though.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
SpeedisaVirus said:
Well let me know how it goes when you get out and ride. I gotta find a good budget alternative. Can't see myself dropping the stack of cash required for one since this bike will rarely if ever see a track. Still would like to improve some though.
That was the same with me. Just farting around on e-bay figured why not if it fits. Even if it works just as good as stock at least I can say I've got a RADIAL MASTER CYLINDER BIYATCHESSSSSSS. Yes, bragging rights and thats it. I'm cool with it. Now if it works worse than stock...I'll sell it back on e-bay or something.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Don't worry too much about compatability, just about anything off a modern bike will fit, as long as it physically fits on the bars and doesn't hit your fairing (if you have one). brake hose banjos are pretty much standard, though the bolts do vary. But watch out, because loads of bikes that you'd think would have better items use the exact same m/c as the SV does, they were common on most of the jap sports bikes of the time.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Northwind said:
...But watch out, because loads of bikes that you'd think would have better items use the exact same m/c as the SV does, they were common on most of the jap sports bikes of the time.
Damn, northwind, you weren't kidding.  Here's the list from RonAyers of all the bikes that used the SV master cylinder (same exact p/n):

Suzuki GSX-R600 2001 (K1)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki GSX-R600 2002 (K2)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki GSX-R600 2003 (K3)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki GSX-R600W 1992 (N)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki GSX-R600W 1993 (P)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki GSX-R600Z 2003 (K3)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki GSX-R750 1988 (J)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER_MODEL_L 
Suzuki GSX-R750 1989 (K)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER_MODEL_L 
Suzuki GSX-R750 2001 (K1)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki GSX-R750 2002 (K2)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki GSX-R750 2003 (K3)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki GSX-R750 1990 (L)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER_MODEL_L 
Suzuki GSX-R750 1991 (M)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki GSX-R750 1992 (N)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki GSX-R750 1996 (T)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki GSX-R750 1997 (V)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki GSX-R750 1998 (W)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki GSX-R750 1999 (X)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki GSX-R750 2000 (Y)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki GSX-R750W 1993 (P)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki GSX-R750W 1994 (R)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki GSX-R750W 1995 (S)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki SV650 2001 (K1)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER_SV650SX_SY_SK1_SK2 
Suzuki SV650 2002 (K2)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER_SV650SX_SY_SK1_SK2 
Suzuki SV650 1999 (X)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER_SV650SX_SY_SK1_SK2 
Suzuki SV650 2000 (Y)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER_SV650SX_SY_SK1_SK2 
Suzuki SV650S 2001 (K1)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER_SV650SX_SY_SK1_SK2 
Suzuki SV650S 2002 (K2)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER_SV650SX_SY_SK1_SK2 
Suzuki SV650S 1999 (X)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER_SV650SX_SY_SK1_SK2 
Suzuki SV650S 2000 (Y)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER_SV650SX_SY_SK1_SK2 
Suzuki TL1000R 2001 (K1)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki TL1000R 2002 (K2)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki TL1000R 2003 (K3)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki TL1000R 1998 (W)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki TL1000R 1999 (X)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 
Suzuki TL1000R 2000 (Y)  FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER 

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, no fairing but I will be putting clipons on real soon. I guess your right though. As long as I can get it on the bar it will work for the most part. So if I did snatch one up like the above Duc one or an R6 one would the same old SV lines work as long as I had the right banjo bolt?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Put your money into lines and pads.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Yup, unless the mounting point for the lines is in a radically different place (for instance, my Brembo radial mounts the lines to the underside, instead of to the side like stock- and my braided lines aren't vey flexible, so it was a bit of a fight to get them to fit properly (the banjos wanted to turn so they were edge-on to the m/c, not face-on)

db's right, by the way, little point in spending on a master cylinder if you have stock lines and pads IMO. Well, maybe pads.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well when I mount my clipons I was going with new lines and I wasn't sure on what pad I was going with yet but I will be doing something with those too. I was just looking for another budget means of improvement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have an 01 with stock calipers, hh pads, sbb lines & stock master cylinder/reservior...

does anybody know which radial brembo off of a ducati i can bolt up?...

would really appreciate the help...

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
just go with the newest one you can possibly find, R1's have nice radial brembo MC's, and you can find them for fairly cheap...ducati's use similar models except in off colors rather than black. I suspect the higher end bikes like the 999 use the billet MC's that will run you 3-400 dollars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004...ryZ34284QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this unit is the one i'm referring to, the adjusting system is alot like the aftermarket brembo radials, which is very nice by the way ;) You can get them for cheaper than this by the way.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SV has old school conventional. From my understanding the radial MC has better lever positioning in relation to the cylinder. This gives you better feedback and more ability to modulate.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I am using a sencond gen RC51 master. The banjo bolt is different, but a call to Speigler, cleared that right up. I like it as it offers better modulation. The out right power of the master isn't hugely better, but it is noticable in a panic squeeze. I like it as I have a much longer travel of useable brake pressure. The stock master was on or off... the RC51.. plenty of feel to it. Plus the intial bite is a tad better now.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
wacky_woodchuck said:
I am using a sencond gen RC51 master. The banjo bolt is different, but a call to Speigler, cleared that right up. I like it as it offers better modulation. The out right power of the master isn't hugely better, but it is noticable in a panic squeeze. I like it as I have a much longer travel of useable brake pressure. The stock master was on or off... the RC51.. plenty of feel to it. Plus the intial bite is a tad better now.
thats kinda how my r1/r6 master is, provides alot more feel. it stops the bike as fast as the stock one, but the ability to ease into braking is so much nicer than the on/off style of the stocker.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
That's why I like my 16mm radial brembo- most people go for the larger bore ones but this one gives me a huuuuuge throw- but every lsat bit does something, and it's very progressive. Like stock should have felt, really. I just fitted a more recent GSXR Nissin radial, doing a trial swap with another .org member, so we'll see how that shakes out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
wacky_woodchuck said:
I am using a sencond gen RC51 master.  The banjo bolt is different, but a call to Speigler, cleared that right up.  I like it as it offers better modulation.  The out right power of the master isn't hugely better, but it is noticable in a panic squeeze.  I like it as I have a much longer travel of useable brake pressure.  The stock master was on or off... the RC51.. plenty of feel to it.  Plus the intial bite is a tad better now.
speigler?

so if i find a 19x20 mc that i like... all i have to do is buy a different banjo bolt?... i already have sbb lines too btw...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.