Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Would you like an automatic rev-matcher on your bike?

• Yes.

Votes: 31 16.6%
  • No electronic nannies, please.

Votes: 156 83.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One option you can have on the Nissan 370Z is an automatic rev-matcher, especially useful for "hurried" downshifts while braking hard. No need to toe-heel anymore. Would you like to have the same on your bike? Me, I'm open to the idea.

·
Registered
511 Posts
the clutch plays quite a bit of a different roll on a bike and is used very differently.

In a car you are either on or off the clutch, so the auto rev matching in the new z is a cool feature. I've had a car that held revs where they should be for the next gear up, and it was nice, but I've never had one that did it downshifts. Either way, it's not really a nanny or something that prevents you from doing anything but keeps you from letting out the clutch at the wrong rpm. Traction control is a nanny, stability control is a nanny, rev matching isn't really imo.

On a bike there's obviously a LOT (relatively) of intentional slipping of the clutch. So if you can't control the throttle and clutch independently of one another, which is what rev matching would prevent, then youre going to have a hard time with very low speed riding. Maybe if you could turn it on and off and the default position was off, but it still wouldn't serve much of a purpose other than making riding harder, so I voted no.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I don't see the gains of this on a bike considering how quick the engine catches up if you just dump the clutch. Hell you don't even need to use the clutch...

I'd love to have it on my car though.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
A slipper clutch would be just fine ... wouldn't that cure the same ills?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I voted no. But we have to remember that there was a point in time when motorcycles spewed oil everywhere, you shifted with your hand, you had to retard and advance the timing manually, and get your bones rattled loose due to lack of suspension. Im glad we dont have to deal with all that anymore, but where do we draw the line?

·
Registered
650 Posts
I voted no. But we have to remember that there was a point in time when motorcycles spewed oil everywhere, you shifted with your hand, you had to retard and advance the timing manually, and get your bones rattled loose due to lack of suspension. Im glad we dont have to deal with all that anymore, but where do we draw the line?
I think you draw the line on the type of bike. I think if you introduced fully automatic cruisers, you'd make a killing.

On the other hand I can't imagine you being able to sell even a handful of automatic sports bikes.

·
Registered
274 Posts
They've already made automatics for bikes. Even back early 80's there were the Hondamatics. I have a friend that thinks that's his ticket to get into riding.. I told him I'd laugh at him if he got one :D

What I'd rather see than rev matching is simply the transmission locking you out of shifting down into any gear that would require the engine to over-rev. Like someone else said, the engine and clutch characteristic differences between bike and car are such that it's not as handy on a bike.

Still, if they came out with it, I'd want to try it.. might change my mind!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I told him to just get a scooter if he was afraid of shifting. By your logic, scooters are good.. I think they belong on little tiny island resorts, but not on the road in front of me.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
given the types of use a bike clutch gets vs a car clutch, I voted no... I'd rather control my own revs, thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
I like the downshifting, so no

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
I like the downshifting, so no thanks

·
Registered
984 Posts
I think a slipper clutch pretty much does that. As far as a 'auto' bike goes, I have to admit, everytime I stop at the Aprilia dealer, I stand and drool over the Mano.

Also, why is the title 'communism on two wheels'? The state going to tax us and make rev-matching tech mandatory on all cars or something?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts