Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 05 650s like a week and a half ago and it is my first bike. I was wondering if there were any common problems that people are running into with their bikes? I just started to notice a ticking noise when I accelerate and wanted to know if that was normal or if I should go get it checked out?

·
Registered
482 Posts
That seems to be a common problem. Haven't seen anything as far as an explanation though. Also, you might run into the problem of not being able to stop riding... I'm dealing with that now. Other than that... hmmm... can't offer anything else here.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My standard SV emits a high pitch noise after I turn the motor off when the motor is hot. I do not know what it is, but it does not seem to affect the bike at all.

Anybody else has the same high pitch noise?

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
singha said:
My standard SV emits a high pitch noise after I turn the motor off when the motor is hot. I do not know what it is, but it does not seem to affect the bike at all.

That's your bike singing to you.

Heat rising from the engine causes fuel vapor to form in the tank. The vapor gets vented through the fuel filler cap, creating a high-pitched whistling sound.

As for the most common problem with SVs, there are two:

1) Noisy engines that have absolutely nothing wrong with them, and

2) an inability for the owner to stop modifying the bike.

Bill

·
Registered
482 Posts
Anyone on the ticking noise? Anyone? Anyone???? Bueller, Bueller, Bueller...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ticking, clicking, etc. is common in SV's, and originates from the cam chains, perfectly normal, so long as not extraordinarily loud--but I can't seem to remember ever seeing any posts about cam chain failures, so I'd say relax.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
theoldguy said:
Anyone on the ticking noise? Anyone? Anyone???? Bueller, Bueller, Bueller...
just engine internals, remember, the engine is made with minimal materials and no engine compatment with sound deadening.

cam chains can get pretty noisey, the automatic cam chain adjusters adjust in pretty big jumps, so they get fairly loose before the adjuster snugs it up.

if there's a bad noise, you will know it

·
Registered
482 Posts
Good deal. I didn't worry about mine, in fact I can't hear it anymore (pipe's louder now), but I thought it would be interesting to find out if anyone had any info.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Be very Very VERY careful of the whole racing problem. Once you start that, it is a one way trip to insane speeds, huge adrenalin rushes and the inevitable bankruptcy. :?

·
Registered
95 Posts
bmetz99 said:
That's your bike singing to you.

Heat rising from the engine causes fuel vapor to form in the tank. The vapor gets vented through the fuel filler cap, creating a high-pitched whistling sound.
Bill
Isn't that potentially dangerous? What if there is a source of fire/heat close to the bike? Isn't the fuel cap supposed to seal the tank tightly to prevent loss of fuel?

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
singha said:
Isn't the fuel cap supposed to seal the tank tightly to prevent loss of fuel?
If it did, you'd have a pressure vessel- potentially dangerous in itself.

Another reason you need a vented fuel tank is for air to displace the fuel as it is used. You'd be amazed at how necessary this is. I had a 250 Rebel given to me- it was all banged up and the previous owner had lost the gas cap. The only replacement I could find was a non-vented cap from an automotive application. This worked fine until I took the thing out for a ride. I'd get about four or five miles, and the thing would die. I'd climb off, look things over, futz around, and try to start the bike- nothing. Tried to pop off the gas cap to check fuel level and found it stuck tightly due to vacuum in the tank. Once I'd pried it off, the bike ran fine for another four or five miles, repeating the same symptoms.

Replacing the el cheapo gas cap with the properly vented unit stopped this problem.

Bill

·
Registered
59 Posts
singha said:

I have the same issue almost everyday! I too think it is the fuel vapor making its way out of the tank... I guess it is not a big deal. Will a new "gasket" or a new fuel cap help to make it more air tight and resolve this... Whenever I am near the bike and hear it, I open the gas tank and close it again and the whistling stops for a while.. I wonder how many SV riders experience this.

·
Registered
179 Posts
yes, there is one major problem that no one has mentioned yet. do not ride wheelies on your bike or it will really screw up the front cylinder. the oil will not pick up when on one wheel. you have been advised. and i'm being 100% serious too.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
martin_j001 said:
hsracer said:
yes, there is one major problem that no one has mentioned yet. do not ride wheelies on your bike or it will really screw up the front cylinder. the oil will not pick up when on one wheel. you have been advised. and i'm being 100% serious too.
+2. But I do love that V-twin sound ;D It's worth it!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
pannayar said:
I have the same issue almost everyday! I too think it is the fuel vapor making its way out of the tank... I guess it is not a big deal. Will a new "gasket" or a new fuel cap help to make it more air tight and resolve this... Whenever I am near the bike and hear it, I open the gas tank and close it again and the whistling stops for a while.. I wonder how many SV riders experience this.
Just an FYI: This isn't an issue, and it isn't exclusive to SV's. It's supposed to do this. That vapor needs to escape from the tank, and air needs to replace it. Otherwise, you create a vacuum and the fuel won't get to the injectors/carbs.

There isn't anything wrong.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Ranger01 said:
KLUNCK!!! in the front somewhere, there is a post on how to absolve this issue.+2
Yes loose headset bearings or bottoming from the "blow-thru" fork action....the SV does suffer from poor suspension moreover front and rear. But after you fix it its a super handling bike.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Some have reported that ......riding in the rain will make your bike a 325 cc pos.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts