Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , well this will be pretty much an opinion poll of sorts. I want to know what everyone has done to prevent or eliminate the dreaded black shoe stain on left shoes from the shifter. I have had 3 bikes that have all left an oily residue on my nice white running shoes that pisses me off. I'm curious what many do to either eliminate this problem in a way or try to eleviate the symptoms by some means. If there is a trick out there I want to know about it and I want you to share it with our brothers. Please no bull sheeit replies. Honest question with honest answers.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Option 1: Don't wear white running shoes. Try boots with hard shifter plates.

Option 2: Try a felt pad wrapped around the shift lever.

Option 3: Make some sort of hard protector for the top of the shoe.

I'm sure there are more...

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Yeah, white running shoes are NOT appropriate riding gear.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
The only trick I know is to not wear white running shoes while riding.
Guess you could get one of those shifter covers like they show in the back of the cycle magazines, but it still won't address the fact that you're wearing white running shoes while riding.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Take off the black rubber bit and replace with some similar sized clear vinyl tubing.

Running shoes are not motorcycle boots.
Wrap them in plastic bags? What about bees, wasps, butterfly, cicadas and squirrels?
Those make a real mess.

Anyway, no white shoes past labour day. Won't need to worry it. 8)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
If you're going to ride in white sneakers, man up and don't be a such a Nancy about it. Wear the shoes with pride because they look worn, not like a pair that are worn but coveted like the Crown Jewels.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a special pair of boots for riding. They're not specifically riding boots but are a sturdy pair of boots anyway and I usually wear them in snow when not riding. I'd rather spend money on something like that than a cheap fix for a simple issue. Sounds like other people have the same opinion.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Yes wear all the gear all the time, but in the real world when I have to go to lunch on the motorcycle in work shoes, a tennis sweatband placed around the shoe-like the ones for sale-prevents the marks you are talking about.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I thought when I put the part about no bullsheeit answers it might work. Should have known better. For those that responded wear boots - If I had asked how to keep squirrels from eating the strawberries in my garden, you guys would have answered grow something else! Geez thanks (sarcasm). That does not answer the problem. And yes I wear running shoes. Its what I wear at work because its whats comfortable for 12 hours. For the few of you who actually tried to give some significant advice, Thank you!

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
The responses you are *****ing about came from people who identified a more important problem in your post than the one you asked about. Forgive us for caring more about your ability to walk than the appearance of your squidwear.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey, if that man wants to take his chances in busting his ankles, then why not let him be? He'll still be able to roll around on 2 wheels (albeit, an unmotorized one).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gamble - Another easy solution is to cut the end off of an old sock and pull it over the end of your shoe before you start to ride. I know I always have a bunch of socks with no match so I can use them a couple of times and then throw them away. Cheap easy solution.

1 - 20 of 428 Posts