Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can you powdercoat or color the rotors on the bike? will it effect braking power or have any other negative effects?

thanks

thinking about doing it on my bike to take out the last bit of silver:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
You mean the part of the rotor that bolts to the wheel right???? Not the braking surface itself I hope.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't think there is a powdercoat known to man that would be able to withstand that much grinding and heat......good question though. :lol:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DougZ said:
You mean the part of the rotor that bolts to the wheel right???? Not the braking surface itself I hope.
the big silver cirle on the black wheel. looking at it, it includes the braking surface and judging by the tone of your question it would be a bad idea

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
stranger said:
DougZ said:
the big silver cirle on the black wheel. looking at it, it includes the braking surface and judging by the tone of your question it would be a bad idea
Yeah, you can't put anything on the braking surface itself..that would be very very bad.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'd like to do something with the midpipe. suggestions?

the engine should be covered by the fairing for the most part

·
Registered
32 Posts
nope. anodizing is for aluminum for one thing and secondly it's a coating that is only a few microns deep in the metal. unless of course you are talking about the center portion that actually holds the rotor. stock is steel i'm pretty sure, but i know i've seen aftermarket discs with the center anodized. - jeff h

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
stranger said:
i'd like to do something with the midpipe. suggestions?

the engine should be covered by the fairing for the most part
You can ceramic coat your headers and midpipe. This also helps to reduce heat. I think there is another process called jet-coating? I'm not to familiar with any of the processes though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I believe I have seen some of the custom crusiers with chromed rotors. Would'nt that effect braking?

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I would love to see them rotors with some miles on them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
67GTONUT said:
Colored Rotors can be done......... I knew I would remember where I had seen em.....!!!

They make em for my Silverado!!!

They are Zinc Plated
yes, but they will still wear through the plating where the pad contacts the rotor. sorry, until someone figures out a way to color steel throughout the matrix of the metal, there is just no getting around the color wearing through. EBC has some pretty sweet options for bikes including anodized hubs and zinc coated rotors. http://www.ebcbrakes.com/motorcycle.html i've only seen the EBC race rotors up close for a GSXR. they are super thin, super light and damn nice looking (not to mention their performance). - jeff h

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Get the discs off of a 2005 black SV. They look darker in the center:

·
Registered
482 Posts
So would these not work on a bike?

(I realize these are for a Kawi) I'd really like to have this type of mod done to my bike, but I have NO idea as to the complexity of something of this nature.

·
Registered
32 Posts
theoldguy said:
So would these not work on a bike?

(I realize these are for a Kawi) I'd really like to have this type of mod done to my bike, but I have NO idea as to the complexity of something of this nature.
oldguy - what "mod" are you talking about - the gold centers? see what EBC makes for the SV. personally, i would go for the GSXR front end and then the way oversize brake upgrade :D. - jeff h

·
Registered
482 Posts
dynagroove said:
...oldguy - what "mod" are you talking about - the gold centers? see what EBC makes for the SV. personally, i would go for the GSXR front end and then the way oversize brake upgrade :D. - jeff h
Sorry, I meant how the outsides were black. I wanted to black out my lower portion of my bike and these were the only ones I could find in a fast search to show what the thread was referring to. I've read where people say not to use anything but the bare metal, but I've seen several that were black. I'm just checking to see what's possible.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts