Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Colored Tires

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  soundman 
G
#1 ·
I am thinking of installing yellow tomahawk tires on my 650SVS... They are supposed to have harder compound than most tires but I don't know by how much.. I'll be riding on semi smooth to smooth roads in warm to hot climate in a moderate to semi-aggressive manner.. What do you think? I really like the way they look..imagine a yellow set on a silver SVS or grey..
But if they'll make a huge difference I'll just forget about them.. If anyone can tell me the pros and the cons I'll appreciate it..Especially someone who already tried them.

#9 ·
They're not as bad as has been implied, I rode a GSXR SRAD with a set and they gave me no problems. I'd say they're roughly as good as the Mez4s. No tyre will ever make you crash from a lack of grip, but a rider might well make himself crash from trying ot use more grip than their tyres have.

They do look stupid though :)

#10 ·
I heard they suck pretty hard.  Might look cool on a showbike, but I think youll take a LOT of s**t from every rider you meet....but dont let other people tell you what to do, do it if you like it.

#12 ·
Yeah, I know, not the most powerful recommendation :) My point is, they're not disasterously awful, they're about as good as an average tyre was when I started riding. They were perfectly predictable too, and gave better feedback than the Mez4s. I spun the rear up a few times to see what would happen, coming out of bends, and it broke loose and hooked back up very nicely indeed, much like a Roadtec. No idea what they're like in the wet.

Anyway, the point's still that no tyre will kill you or cause you to crash, that's just stupid talk. If you run out of grip that's rider error, not a tyre fault. It's just a bit easier to make that particular mistake with some tyres than with others :)

#14 ·
out of curiosity, whats the best tire for wet conditions? as in a half inch of standing water at times. Im a dumb fool who thinks that ice is the only reason to stop riding, and then only cause my wife would kill me if i took the bike out. I ride pretty aggressively regardless of weather conditions. the stock tires seem to do a pretty bang up job with control and keeping me on the road (of course that could be blind luck too) but i was wondering if there is anything designed specifically for wet to super wet conditions

#15 ·
The best I've used for that would be the Roadtecs... There'll be better out there, no doubt at all, but the Roadtecs are great in the wet without giving away much in the dry- motard tyres and the like will be better in the wet, less good in the dry. Avon (I think) do a set of road-legal wets, but they don't last well in the dry so not really much use unless you have 2 bikes, or a pit crew ;)

One thing that throws people is that super-sticky tyres are usually bad in the wet- they tend to have les tread, and it's hard if not impossible to get them to their proper temperatures on a wet road. I used to do a 20 minute commute on Sportecs (not the stickiest tyre in the world either) and they were barely any grippier at the end than they were at the beginning.

#17 ·
Hmm, I've got an Azaro on the back just now and tbh I've always found it horrible in the wet. Excellent in snow though :) Then again, it is pretty old and has seen a few dynos and burnouts so chances are it's a bit cooked. (I didn't like it much before I nominated it my "abuse tyre" to be fair)

#19 ·
Northwind said:
Hmm, I've got an Azaro on the back just now and tbh I've always found it horrible in the wet. Excellent in snow though :) Then again, it is pretty old and has seen a few dynos and burnouts so chances are it's a bit cooked. (I didn't like it much before I nominated it my "abuse tyre" to be fair)
LOL
A Whipping Tire!

The only tire I've ever just absolutely HATED in the wet was the MEZ4. I actually considered leaving my bike on the side of the road and walking to call for a ride once when riding in the rain on those.. I still have that set of tires and I think I'll make a planter out of them. The best use IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.