Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bike sits out in the sun all day while I'm sitting here at work....what impact will this have on my color? If any at all.

Have any of you guys noticed a significant color fading issue?

Also, I used Goo-gone to take of the crap my tank sticker left behind. Will this show up in the clear coat down the road?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
eventually, it probably will. why not put a cover over it. a covered bike is also less likely to be lifted into the back of a pickup or into a van

·
Registered
177 Posts
It'll happen. The paint will lighten, though I can't tell you how much for sure. What I worry about more is all the black parts, especially hard plastic like your switch cases (turn signals, starter button). Even things like the headlight case, all of that lightens up which looks like crap, and can get more brittle too (though you're not likely to notice it getting harder). My first bike was one that had been garage kept and way babied, and I noticed the sun's affects after the first year I owned it (and rode it all the time and had it in the sun plenty). Also, the UV rays aren't great for anything really. Just buy a $10 cover from Target or whatever and throw it on, stick it under the seat when you aren't using it - it's worth it.

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
Get a cover.

Sunlight will fade your bike's paint, chew up the instrument faces, dry out the seat cover material, and destroy the plastic parts like switch housings and such. A cover gets faded and will eventually disintegrate, too, but replacing a $50 cover every 3 or 4 years is a lot cheaper than replacing all the other stuff it protects.

I've got a nice, compact 1/2 cover (made by Nelson-Rigg) that fits in the storage space under the passenger seat. It covers from the headlight to the tail section (fits over a Givi A770 windshield). That leaves the front fender exposed, but it's better than nothing...

Bill

·
Registered
22 Posts
i bought a $20 cover, has heat shielding stuff, straps to connect it, and a little bag to cram it all in at a menard's store (big lumber/tool/etc store) that works really well. can strap on the cover and take it to work, 2 minutes later it's protected.

$.02

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you guys really think I'd be able to store a cover under the seat? The storage under the seat is pretty small.

where did you get your cover verv?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have a really nice one for sale. Only used once and will fit easily into a backpack or some thing like that. It's in it's own zip up bag, but I'm sure it could be folded smaller and might even fit under the rear seat. I don't know. It's a Gaurdian all weather.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I keep mine in a garage, but guess what

you can't keep it covered when your riding it, my seat is comming apart, the white face on my tach is delaminating, but the red paint is not noticably faded. it's just go "old bike petina"

D

·
0 Posts
I would try waxing the bike, using the clay bar kit would help significantly. Also, I would try washing the bike with 2000 gritt sand papper before going that far. This is what I do on cars, really brings the life bike. I know that there are different materials from car to bike, but even the clay and staged waxing should do a night/day difference.
Zarco

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
COuld you send me a picture? How much? PM me

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had to store my bike outside last summer. I just bout a cheap cover at Target. It also kept it shiny when it rained.

·
Registered
25 Posts
for the black parts of the bike, S100 makes a spray to protect them and also bring back the nice black color when faded. This works real well and makes the parts look new again.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use plexus on the black plastic parts of my bike...I saw the S100....but I opted for Plexus. Same type of spray on protectant right?

and BTW.....nice avatar lord.....Buddy Christ is my homeboy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts