Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder why you never see any. There are always a bunch of squids that want to go fast on campus it seems. I realize that it could be a huge liability for the college, but is it that much more risky than FSAE? Thoughts/opinions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
SAE has a HUGE amount of rules and regulations you have to meet before they even let you compete. They have judges come and inspect your vehicle before competition to make sure your vehicle meets these requirements.

As far as I know there isn't an SAE motorcycle division. At my school, I know I'm missing some, there's SAE formula, SAE formula hybrid, SAE baja, supermileage (urban concept and ultra), human powered vehicle, electric mazda rx7 team, hydraulic hybrid suv....

All these groups have organizations that sponsor competitions. To make one like you're saying would require a lot of time and collaboration with other schools and possible other organizations. I think the best way to go about it would be to see if SAE would start a 2 wheeled competition.

If you're looking to start a club, that might be simpler. The best way to go about this would be to contact an adviser. Maybe setup a meeting with someone from the Mechanical Engineering department.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
We have a motorcycle club here at UF, and I would love to start up a college series, but I feel like the liability is too great for the schools. Plus, it is an EXPENSIVE hobby. Not many college students can afford to go out to the track consistently.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was aware of the strict regulations in FSAE. I just thing that there is a gap that exists. Many people I know look at a car or a motorcycle and say, "I could never do anything like that," when all they really have to do is get involved. Just wish there was more of an outlet for it

·
Registered
467 Posts
At William & Mary all the track riders knew each other and we would just go on trips in the fall and spring but that was it. Mainly there aren't enough kids with the resources...

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

1 - 5 of 5 Posts