Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With gas prices as outragous as they are...I plan on riding at least until december. Can anyone point me in the direction of good cold weather riding gear? Last night it was probably in the 50's and my chin and legs got chilly, so I can only imaging how i'm gonna feel when it gets to the low 40's. BTW I already have an Icon leather jacket.

Thanks
Anthony

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Where are ya? I ride up to thanksgiving at least in NY. I wear a sweater underneath my leather jacket, my rain pants cause they block the wind and surprisingly that keeps ya warm. Tourmaster makes some good insulated gloves, but I can't stand thick gloves. I plan on putting hand guards on my bike so I can wear thinner gloves for longer. My riding is limited to 20 minutes when its below freezing though. Heated gear could fix that but its not necessary.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
AnthonyE said:
With gas prices as outragous as they are...I plan on riding at least until december.  Can anyone point me in the direction of good cold weather riding gear?  Last night it was probably in the 50's and my chin and legs got chilly, so I can only imaging how i'm gonna feel when it gets to the low 40's.  BTW I already have an Icon leather jacket.

Thanks
Anthony
thers a bunch of different brands, widder being a major brand, but start with the best...Gerbings

I bought mine at http://www.vencowings.com/ mostly cause their the only 20 minutes away from me, but they have competitive internet prices too

I recommend heated grips, and added wind protection on a nekid (V-strom or KLR hand guards) although I ride on below 0 so I'm thinnking of getting some gerbings gloves too and pant liner, I only have a jacket liner now.

drop you air pressure a couple psi to get the rubber to heat up on the colder pavement

keep speeds below 65, wind chill is brutal at higher speeds, I am considering a snowmobile helmet, their insulated a little better, and DOT approved, heated visors are also available

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think i'm man enough to ride in below 0 temps 8) I was thinking more along the lines of something that goes over my head and covers my face and chin/neck...also what do you think about the Icon jeans? are they insulated enough?

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
AnthonyE said:
I don't think i'm man enough to ride in below 0 temps  8)  I was thinking more along the lines of something that goes over my head and covers my face and chin/neck...also what do you think about the Icon jeans?  are they insulated enough?
I have no idea how to spell it but its for snowmobilers, that thing that covers your face and neck. It exists. Its out there somewhere. And no the icon jeans are most likely not oging to be insulated enough. Primary goal should be to block the wind, then insulate. I dont know about you but I can stand outside in shorts and a t-shirt and be fine when its below freezing, but when the wind whips up, ouchie.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
pvc rain gear is a good idea, I hadnt thought of that.

where do you live? how cold does it get? how long will your rides be?

It doesnt get terribly bitterly cold here. I made several afternoon rides last winter, just pleasure rides of about an hour or so. I found that I was plenty comfortable down to 50 degrees or so with just my Joe Rocket textile jacket with the liner in, and a sweater or sweatshirt. Legs got COLD though...I was pretty comfortable with sweatpants under jeans. I wore thermal underwear sometimes (under jeans and sweatpants), and actually got a little too warm...but like I said, I dont think I ever rode in temps below 45...usually not below 50.

found some head and neck warming stuff here - http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/prod_category.asp?ManId=167

·
Registered
197 Posts
I ride dirt bikes a lot through the winter and can say heated grips are great (about $30). I have them to put on my svs but never did last year. The coldest I have taken my sv out in was around 10 degrees and I wore a Fieldsheer Highland 1 piece suit with the liner. That with a sweatshirt and jeans and I was warm. I have Joe Rocket Blizzard gloves but they are kind of a pain being a little thick. Also a balaclava for over the head can be nice, I wear it on the dirt bike a lot in the winter, they can be found for under $10. Though it can make your head sweat and give you a serious case of helmet hair. Feet and hands are the hardest to keep warm but with the warmer gloves and grip heaters you should have no problem. For the feet you can also find battery powered socks at a lot of hunting/sporting goods stores or sites like Cabelas etc.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've been down to the 30's on my previous bike, which was a naked. It's all in the mind.

But layers and good gloves help.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
heat grips are just awesome..

I also use articat snowmobile coveralls.. and my favorite must have item is

hippo hands, handle bar muffs.. I dont know who the offical vendor for them is, they were passed down to me from my pops cold riding days
but an example can be found here http://www.hippohands.com/

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Cold weather riding already?? Damn it before you know it, it will be late January and here come the freezing weather and day time temps only in the 50s!!!!!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
well, since i plan on being a bum and riding my bike during winter.  One thing i am thinking about is getting lowers to block the wind.  

oh, how i shudder thinking about cold riding.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
crobin said:
Also a balaclava for over the head can be nice,
YES! Thats what it is. Yes, get one of those, they are good, very good, yes, get one, now, thats what you want, yes. Yes.

·
Registered
284 Posts
evilbologna said:
YES! Thats what it is. Yes, get one of those, they are good, very good, yes, get one, now, thats what you want, yes. Yes.
I love mine! It's definately worth it for below 40 degree freeway rides. Also, when it drops below 40 I will wear an old fashioned scarf to help insulate my neck. It's pretty ugly but as they say; function over form...

-josh

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live in Iowa and I have never put my bike away during the winter time. The only time I don't ride is when it is snowing. I have installed heated grips ($28), best buy ever. Also, underneath my icon leather jacket i have a patagonia windproof jacket (its pretty thin but does the job) and a thin patagonia vest. As for my face, it doesn't get that cold, so i don't wear anything. For pants, i just wear jeans and my first gear rain pants. My first gear rain pants keep the heat in. I don't know how long your commute is but mine is about 15 min and all that gear does the job.

·
Registered
551 Posts
i would say any kind of sled (snowmobile) gear. its all relatively wind proof and will definitely keep you warm...just have fun trying to find colors to match your bike. ;D

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
A decent rain suit can go a long way to help block the wind.

I've made it through winters in Wisconsin without heated gear, but it isn't easy and it certainly isn't comfortable. Do yourself a favor and get heated gear - you don't have to have as many layers then. The worst part about having to put on (and take off) a lot of layers under protective motorcycle gear is that it's a pain in the ass and takes a while - a deterrent to riding.

The less you have to put on to ride the bike, the more you'll want to take it in cold temps. Heated gear all the way.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Check out the S-3 line of thermal underwear from Craft. It has a windproof front to it and is super thin and warm so it fits well under your regular gear. I've used it on the motorcycle in temps down to 30F for 30-45 min rides, and on my bicycle in temps even colder (but that's different as I'm generating heat).
Check them out at http://www.craft-usa.com/frameset.php?back=109

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
spuds said:
i would say any kind of sled (snowmobile) gear. its all relatively wind proof and will definitely keep you warm...just have fun trying to find colors to match your bike. ;D
except gloves... you do not want to wear snowmobile golve while riding, your hands fatigue quick

snowmobile glove are designed for thumb throttle, the excess insulation in the palm makes squeezing a throttle grip tiring and heat from grips doesn't get thru, good winter bike gloves are thin in palm and insulated on back

·
Registered
296 Posts
Cold weather riding....Oh I can't wait to get out of this Texas heat and back to Kentucky for some riding that I actually have to put a few layers on!!!!!

I dont really have any suggestions other than get one of these! balaclava!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts