Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its starting to get cold where I live.....Cold enough to make my fingers numb (with gloves on) on my morning commute.

I know that cold tires are slippery compared to warm ones, but have always wondered about warm pavement compared to cold pavement. Will cold tires on cold pavement combine to make things super slippery or does it really matter??

·
Registered
597 Posts
The cold pavement will just keep the tires from warming and staying warm as good as warm pavement would.

I hope your not running stock tires or they might be still cold when you get to where your going  ;) jk.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
if theres no frost in the ground, dont worry, once theres frost in the ground, it takes a lot more to warm tires up, I even reduce my pressures a couple psi to help. once they warm up, they stick ok, but if your in snow country, deicer residues are what you need to be concerned about, I don't recommend very agressive riding, smoothness is key, you can clip along at a good pace

I would recommend supersport tires except I think they have inadequate tread for street riding, supermotard tires and rain tires work well, they have very soft rubber, Pirelli MTR60's are their corsa yellow compound , Avon extreme wets are also good

when I ride in cold ( I consider cold below 15°) even down to -12° to -15° after tires warm up, I pull over onto snow covered shoulder, steam rolls of the tires...... yes, tires really do get warm even in cold.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Cold? Already? Yesterday it was 104 degrees here, today I think we saw 102... you lucky bastard... But to answer your question, just ride as if the streets were wet until the tires get up to temp.

-josh

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Newdriver said:
Cold? Already? Yesterday it was 104 degrees here, today I think we saw 102... you lucky bastard... But to answer your question, just ride as if the streets were wet until the tires get up to temp.

-josh
I'm tuning my electrics on in the morning, wind chill is gettting cold at speed, cold air = free horsepower

·
Registered
720 Posts
I bought my bike last Feburary and saw many sub-20* days on it...too tempting to let if sit there. Just remeber to take it easy and you will be fine

·
Registered
536 Posts
RandyO said:
when I ride in cold ( I consider cold below 15°) even down to -12° to -15°
:eek: Jeebus! Please tell me that's in Centigrade!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts