Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I like Colbert and all, but Serenity is a better name just because it can be referenced to Firefly.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That link doesn't prove anything.

If anything it proves that they didn't like the outcome of their little contest.

Colbert received 40,000 more votes than serenity.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
The link proves that Serenity got 70% of the vote and that Colbert was in the top 10 suggestions.

The name should reflect the spirit of exploration and cooperation embodied by the space station, and follow in the tradition set by Node 1- Unity- and Node 2- Harmony.
Colbert does not fit this requirement. Neither does "MYYEARBOOK" or "SOCIALVIBE". Yet nobody seems to be complaining about those.

Steven Colbert is funny, and I love his show. But his last name does not fit within the criteria of the contest.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The link proves that Serenity got 70% of the vote and that Colbert was in the top 10 suggestions.
yes, they changed the display format to make themselves look better.

Associated Press said:
Oops: Colbert wins NASA space station name contest
16 hours ago
WASHINGTON (AP) — NASA's online contest to name a new room at the international space station went awry. Comedian Stephen Colbert won.
The name "Colbert" beat out NASA's four suggested options in the space agency's effort to have the public help name the addition. The new room will be launched later this year.
NASA's mistake was allowing write-ins. Colbert urged viewers of his Comedy Central show, "The Colbert Report" to write in his name. And they complied, with 230,539 votes. That clobbered Serenity, one of the NASA choices, by more than 40,000 votes. Nearly 1.2 million votes were cast by the time the contest ended Friday.
NASA reserves the right to choose an appropriate name. Agency spokesman John Yembrick said NASA will decide in April, but will give top vote-getters "the most consideration."
Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
:rolleyes:

How many times to I have to quote this?

The name should reflect the spirit of exploration and cooperation embodied by the space station, and follow in the tradition set by Node 1- Unity- and Node 2- Harmony.
You can write in Mickey Mouse to be president, and even if he gets enough "votes", he still won't be president. BECAUSE HE DOES NOT FIT THE CRITERIA OF THE POSITION.

Hooray for Colbert. It has been proven that his show is very popular and that many people think highly of him, and were willing to go that extra mile. Kudos.

They didn't change the display to make it look better. His name is still in the top 10 suggestions. But, BECAUSE HIS NAME DOES NOT FIT THE CRITERIA OF THE CONTEST, it was removed from the top 4 voting results.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Nope.

NASA reserves the right to choose an appropriate name. Agency spokesman John Yembrick said NASA will decide in April, but will give top vote-getters "the most consideration."
Basically, the contest was all fun and games and now NASA will go with the earlier chosen name.

Just like how the guy who started 4chan is trying to get himself named Time "Man of the Year." He may get a lot of votes but he'll get booted as well.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope.

Basically, the contest was all fun and games and now NASA will go with the earlier chosen name.

NASA's leadership is so worried about having their funding cut right now they aren't going to do anything "cute" or "attention grabbing"
To be fair, I worded that to be a teaser so people would actually click the link.

Ironically, colbert's support will be strengthened when nasa decides to not use his name.

How many times to I have to quote this?
Doesn't matter, I ignored it the first time. I'm not saying that they should use Colbert's name. I never made a stand on the matter. I merely said that he had the VAST majority of the votes.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Ironically, colbert's support will be strengthened when nasa decides to not use his name.
His support among whom, the people that aready took the time to vote for him (or were bored enough to set up auto-voting scripts to stuff the box)? NASA should be grateful for the free publicity at least, it could be a good excuse to get one of their PR guys on the show to help sell their 17+ Billion dollar budget to the public.

I merely said that he had the VAST majority of the votes.
Majority means more than half, the word you want is plurality. :p

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
Wow! What a worthy use of bandwidth.
:happy1:

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
You can write in Mickey Mouse to be president, and even if he gets enough "votes", he still won't be president. BECAUSE HE DOES NOT FIT THE CRITERIA OF THE POSITION.
Much like Obama, eh? ;D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts