Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have come to the conclusion that my front coil/wire is the culprit behind an ongoing problem I have been having involving losing the front cylinder.

MY QUESTIONS ARE: What replacements are available besides OEM? Can I use coils from other bikes? Any aftermarket stuff that will work?

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
Not saying that your coil is not bad, but I've seen coils get the blame a lot, when the real problem is elsewhere. Was your problem a hard failure, or intermittent?

Ignition coils are similar and others may fit/work, but it would be hard to know for sure if the match is optimal, and that you're not stressing the ECU which controls it. I would stick with the stock coil.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not saying that your coil is not bad, but I've seen coils get the blame a lot, when the real problem is elsewhere. Was your problem a hard failure, or intermittent?

Ignition coils are similar and others may fit/work, but it would be hard to know for sure if the match is optimal, and that you're not stressing the ECU which controls it. I would stick with the stock coil.
I was intermittently dropping the front cylinder last week, but only for a bit. Then at the track last saturday it began doing it again, so I swapped the coils. Now the back cylinder is firing intermittently...

It is either the coil, the wire or the connection between. There are no other variables... No water in tank, new lines, new plugs, perfectly clean carbs, no vacuum leaks, good fuel delivery and clean connections to each coil.

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
Looks like you nailed it with the coil swap!

Just for curiosity sake you might still check the resistances and compare the good coil with the bad. Readings can be within range and coil still be bad though...

Primary winding resistance : 2.2 to 2.6 ohms, @20 deg C

Secondary coils :
With leads : 30 to 36 K ohms, @20 deg C
Without leads : 20 to 25 K ohms, @20 deg C

·
Registered
284 Posts
I swapped mine out for a set of Nology. No problems at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts