Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the SV a couple of months ago and it's my first bike. I never realized how much waving to other bikers would be involved. I'm kind of getting used to it, but it's also getting old. I sure as hell don't want to disrespect anyone by not waving, but sometimes I feel like I've had enough.

Can somebone please give me some guidance?

N

·
0 Posts
Wave when you can, don't if you don't want to, sometimes a nod or a "peace" sign (without taking your hand off the grip) is enough...and don't get pissy if they don't wave back!

:)

EDIT: I don't usually wave to opposing traffic on the freeway etc.

The cool part of "The Wave" is that it's a symptom of a more serious condition...run out of gas or throw it away and riders will come out of the woodwork to help you!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I nod a lot.

If someone waves to me I will wave back but I am not an initiator.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Wave, to all, then tally up who doesn't wave back and post the results on the board.

don't wave to any and see who waves at you first then post the results on the board.

or nod to all it makes you look superior, or like a noob that can't take his hands off the handlebars.

or just stare straigh ahead and ignore all other riders who are acknowledging your status as a rider in the community.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Ramblin' Jack Elliott

You stick out your little hand to every child and man and you wave it up and down, howdjy do, howdjy do?

It adds to the comraderie. Sometimes I'll initiate, sometimes I won't. I always respond with at least an obvious nod. Sometimes your hands are too busy to wave.

Anyway, Jack's point in his song was that it costs nothing and can engender warm feelings among us, an all too combative and hostile species.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Re: Ramblin' Jack Elliott

andyauger said:
I always respond with at least an obvious nod. Sometimes your hands are too busy to wave.
Yep.

We have this crap around here called heavy traffic:(.

I am not superior to anyone nor am I a noob. Often times I am busy or have the clutch pulled in.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like to be friendly and respectful so, as it stands right now, I wiave to everyone that waives to me. More times than not it's just a quick raise my left fingers up to give a decent waive, or a nod. I guess that's good enough.

A

·
0 Posts
I'm a fairly new rider as well (almost 2 years), and I enjoy waving to others.
In my area (Hunterdon County NJ), there are so many bikers that sometimes they pop up when you can't safely wave! My rule is, if it is at all safe/comfortable to wave, I will.

My feeling about this is that bikers share a wonderful and exciting passion
and when two people feel that way about something, no reason not to be friendly about it.

Also, I don't know your age, or line of work. But I have found that being a biker has helped me professionally. It has helped me in 2 very distinct instances so far.

I tell ya, in the 90's, golf lunches were very common ways of establishing business relationships, I have seen this same dynamic with motorcycles.

abellboy

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, I don't know your age, or line of work. But I have found that being a biker has helped me professionally. It has helped me in 2 very distinct instances so far.

I tell ya, in the 90's, golf lunches were very common ways of establishing business relationships, I have seen this same dynamic with motorcycles.
I'm 30 years old. I am a representative for Viacom located at a 3rd party logistics facility. I already have built some relationships there, but I can see what you're talking about. There is this real nice guy that's a regional manager and rides a Ninja 1000. Ever since I started looking for a bike, I've chatted with him when he stops by. There's also an IT guy that has 2 Ducati's, but he's a dickhead that feels he's superior to everyone.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i wave to everybody, even scooters and if i see a rider down (mechanical or otherwise) i stop. Of course my commute is all of 1 maybe 2 miles, so most of the time i'm out riding i haven't really got anywhere i have to be. As stated above waving is about comraderie, i went down avoiding a deer last year and within minutes there were FOUR other riders (1 goldwinger couple, 2 harley riders) helping me get the bike back on the road. All the cages passed on by.

There have been many threads about waving or not waving mostly regarding Harley folks. When it comes down to it, some do some don't, if you don't feel comfy taking your hand off the bar, don't worry about it, nods work just as well and be aware that the other rider is a rider at least of some sort so odds are they understand that you may be new to the sport or occupied elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Yep I wave. I used to initiate it but after an incident a few months back (I posted here about it) with some HD riders and my middle finger, now I wait for riders to wave at me first. My wife rides a scooter and I'm surprised by the number of riders that wave at her.

I always stop too if I see a rider broke down. Thursday I used my Jeep to pull a fellow rider out of a dicth on a full dress HD that got ran of the road and was stuck the muck. Of course the car never stopped either.

Y

·
0 Posts
Wave to all, they dont wave back, they are catching the finger in the rearview.... 8)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
u can do the head nod :p i do that when im in a turn or when im just starting to move lol

i stopped waving to cruiser ppl tho, at first when i bought my bike i waved to everybody but ive been burned by so many cruiser/harley davidson pieces of shit bikes - finally i was just like "eh fuck it"

N

·
0 Posts
I know we've done this to death, but The Wave costs nothing, and if they don't return it-- eff 'em: it's their loss not mine!

C

·
0 Posts
novakane said:
i stopped waving to cruiser ppl tho, at first when i bought my bike i waved to everybody but ive been burned by so many cruiser/harley davidson pieces of s**t bikes - finally i was just like "eh f**k it"
definitely. I'll wave to a cruiser if they do it first, I'll do it to a sport bike or a dual every time.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
finally

someone addressed this. when i started riding, i was like wtf! why are people waving then i got it. after a while, some hd guys never waved so it kinda pissed me off. now, i don't wave to cruisers unless they are looking at me or have waved. sport bikes, i usually wave/nod. i might rev if i actually know them but rarely.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Around here almost everyone waves. I always wave, even to scooters. Every once in a while someone doesnt wave back and they are usually on a HD but that is ok, they just look like a$$ holes.

I wonder about waving while passing a large group of riders though. If it's safe I will leave my hand out and wave to all of them but if theres traffic or a stop coming up I do the upwards nod.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
entropysedge said:
nc_sv650 said:
Wave when you can, don't if you don't want to, sometimes a nod or a "peace" sign (without taking your hand off the grip) is enough...and don't get pissy if they don't wave back!

+1
Its just a way of being friendly :D
It's more then that. It's a sign of united brotherhood and respect for the other 2 wheel lover out there. Like that whole Semper Fi deal for Marines or Navy Seals or Frat brothers and sorority sisters!!! We are all alike, a band of 2 wheel brothers!!!

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I wave to everyone, and I'd say sport bikes or Cruisers, I get a mix of who will and who wont wave. I think its people that have the love, wave. People that are out for status, wont. I also understand that sometimes you just cant wave, i let those one's go. 8)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts