Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first flat yesterday. I came out of work and took off out of the parking lot and knew something wasn't right. I picked up a piece of something in my rear tire. Couldn't really tell what it was short of some kind of shrapnel. Anyway, I call home and had my daughter bring me my tire patch kit, pliers and a bicycle pump.
This got me thinking I needed to carry this with me on the bike in case I'm out where it would be a PITA to get help from home. Tire plugging kit and pliers are easy to figure out but I have never used one of the CO2 cartridge inflators. Any recommendations? I'm sure there are some real cheap POS ones and some that are better quality. Any ideas on how many cartridges it takes to fill a tire?

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slime pump?

Okay, I found one with google but it doesn't look like it would ever fit under the seat. There must be smaller models. Model # or links?

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
788 Posts
I use CO2 tanks(2 42g threaded) AND an air compressor from Walmart.

The CO2 is for when I need to be back on the road fast! Tire is fully aired in under 2 minutes

The compressor is when I have time. From flat to full takes about 10-15 minutes.

I have a cable running from battery. Connect a cigarette lighter connection to it then connect the air compressor.

Incidentally that connector from my battery should is a great idea. Any electronics I splice a matching connector to it. Things I use:

Heated grips, battery voltage monitor, iPhone charger. Pod lights.

I just unplug one item and plug in the other

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
920 Posts
dont use tire slime on your tires unless you want a "temp" solution. I've plugged tires with worms and road them til bald no problem (without the inner patch even!) but those "green slime" products, while seemingly useful, ruin the tire. And imagine the mess the guy who changes your tire (you?) have to deal with when removing that son of a gun.

Also, I keep the tire repair kit under my seat, but i'll likely push the bike to a gas station if air is needed although they do make mini-compressors that i'd bring with me if i was touring or vacationing on the bike for instance.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Those co2 kits work well, they have them at cycle gear for $15. I use to keep a set of worms, tire tools (rasp, and plug holder), a tire pressure gauge and my co2 kit on me at all times. All the co2 kits consists of is the cartridge and a valve you screw on to the top of the cartridge. The valve punctures the canister and when you press it to your tire valve it inflates the tire. It only takes a second and 1 co2 can to get your tire to 32psi.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
The elec. pumps can be removed from the plastic boxes they come with.
Makes them considerably smaller. Don't touch the metal bits until they cool down after use.
They get hot as.

I've got a short Mtn Bike manual pump under the pillion along with the plug kit.
It will put enough air in to get moving eventually. Not in that much of a hurry.
Wound some duck tape around the pump barrel too. Multi tasking.

The BMW came with 3 CO2 cyls and a plastic fill adapter as part of the tool kit.
The manual says they'll supply enough for the rear tire to get to a service station at reduced speed.

I've never used them though. Never really thought they were a good idea even for bicycles.
Always had the Silca frame pump with me and only takes a couple minutes to fill a bike tire.

What happens when you've used the CO2 and another flat happens?
The pump will still work.

·
Registered
788 Posts
What happens when you've used the CO2 and another flat happens?
The pump will still work.
That's the reason why I carry both the mini compressor and the CO2s. I'd have to get a dead battery AND multiple flats to be SOL. At which point I'd be thinking I shoulda just stayed home.

Btw. All this stores under my seat with room for all my other tools and two types of plugs....worm and mushroom

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
You want this one:

The Slime brand "power sport" version of their tire inflator / air compressor.

http://www.slime.com/shop/power-sport-tire-inflator-40001/

Under $30 at places like Auto Zone, Walmart. It will store under the rear seat of a first gen, without any mods. Pre-wire your battery with an SAE plug (like for a battery tender) and you don't even have to remove the pilot seat to use the pump.

(You don't need to use it with Slime tire sealant, and I don't recommend using that stuff in motorcycle tires. Get a small pack of "gummy worm" type tire plugs and a tube of rubber cement -- sold as a package at auto parts stores or Walmart auto center.)

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
I will no longer carry CO2 as I have had several bad experiences with using them.

I have a small pump that is the same as the cycle pump, but without the case (fits easily in my tail section) made by Motopumps. Best $$ you will spend.

http://motopumps.com/

·
Registered
374 Posts
You want this one:

The Slime brand "power sport" version of their tire inflator / air compressor.

http://www.slime.com/shop/power-sport-tire-inflator-40001/

Under $30 at places like Auto Zone, Walmart. It will store under the rear seat of a first gen, without any mods. Pre-wire your battery with an SAE plug (like for a battery tender) and you don't even have to remove the pilot seat to use the pump.

(You don't need to use it with Slime tire sealant, and I don't recommend using that stuff in motorcycle tires. Get a small pack of "gummy worm" type tire plugs and a tube of rubber cement -- sold as a package at auto parts stores or Walmart auto center.)
Yup thats exactly what I have and fits under a second gen seat as well. I have a sae plug on my battery and connect it that way. Had to use it and the worm plugs 2 weeks ago when I got a hole in my 150 mile old pilot road 2, would of been upset had the hole not come from debree from a car wreck where 2 died and one was air lifted out. Figured lots worse things in life.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use a small mtn. bike hand pump.....gets me enough air to get to an air compressor.
+1 on that. The bike pump takes forever, but it works well for me. Small, cheap, and reliable enough to get me to the pump.

IMO... steer clear of those co2 kits. Remember that co2 is one of the most unstable things you can fill your tire with. Nitrogyn is best, but co2 is about as bad as it gets with temp/pressure changes. If you do use co2, you might want to drain and fill that tire once or twice when you can get to a pump.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can some of those that had bad experiences with CO2 inflators elaborate a bit. Some of the comments were as vague as saying you had a bad experience with a woman and there are so many ways for that to go bad!

FWIW, I did pick up one of the power sport slime pumps last night at local auto parts store along with another patch kit.

Matt

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Can some of those that had bad experiences with CO2 inflators elaborate a bit. Some of the comments were as vague as saying you had a bad experience with a woman and there are so many ways for that to go bad!

FWIW, I did pick up one of the power sport slime pumps last night at local auto parts store along with another patch kit.

Matt
Matt,

At times, even after proper insertion of the plug (I use the gooey rope plugs myself) it takes some air movement to get the hole to seal.

With CO2, you get ONE SHOT at success.

That's it in a nutshell.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If I was only going to have the CO2 system, I'd be carrying multiple CO2 cylinders for jus that reason. The one I did the other day had to be redone as it didn't seal first time. I was able to pull the old plug and re-plug it. It is still holding fine after about 75 miles on it.

Matt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts