Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my clutch has been feeling funny last couple days. On my way home from work im in 6th and i crank on it to pass and the engine just revs and i go no where. Sooo im assuming my clutch is going out. My clutch cable couldnt cause this correct?

If it is my clutch does anyone know of a good place to order a new one?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
So my clutch has been feeling funny last couple days. On my way home from work im in 6th and i crank on it to pass and the engine just revs and i go no where. Sooo im assuming my clutch is going out. My clutch cable couldnt cause this correct?

If it is my clutch does anyone know of a good place to order a new one?
Might need to tighten your clutch cable. Is it loose? Also, if you rev'd the **** out of it and it went no where, it means it wasn't in gear. Are you having a harder time shifting or were you just hauling ass and didn't shift fully?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its been shifting clunky. But i was in 6th crusing about 65mph and cranked on it to pass some slower traffic and when i did that it just revved, it was accelerating slightly but it just was slipping like crazy and i let off right away. I simulated it a few more times on the way home no shifting in gear rev and it slips.

·
Registered
856 Posts
tightening clutch cable for slipping clutch? if pulling on the clutch lever/cable disconnects the motor from the drivetrain wouldn't tightening the clutch cable do this to a smalller degree, causing the clutch to possibly slip. If a clutch is slipping you would want to loosen the cable to release the clutch fully,chances are it might be good for a short while ,long enough to read up on clutch replacement and decide whether it's something you can do or pay someone to do.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Done alot of stop and go lately? I burnt the hell out of my clutch in the st. patties day parade. I just replaced the friction plates and springs. Old plates looked nasty burnt. Hardly any material left one them, lol.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya its been tons of traffic out here with all the spring breakers everywhere. Talk about noobs at driving. Ill be happy when there gone.

Anyway so im going to order the plates today. Im curious could i get away with just ordering the friction plates? The bike has right at 20k on it right now. Im a little tight on cash atm and would prefer to just get it back to normal riding condition. It dosnt need to catch any quicker or firmer.

Im leaning twords these, can anyone give me any feedback on them?

http://www.starcycle-usa.com/servlet/Detail?no=10735

·
Registered
472 Posts
You can just do the frictions. I would suggest doing the springs at the same time because they are cheap. When you get the steel plates out look them over and make sure there are no signs of warping or bluing. As for EBC they should be fine though the consensus is that the factory plates are by far the best in the long run.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try adjusting first.
Got to give credit where credit is due. I took your advice and adjusted my cable. Its not slipping anymore. Power wheelie in first just to test it afterwords.
I cant get the feel of it right though. Maybe my cable is bad?

How could it just suddenly need to be adjusted to the amount it needed to be? Its not like it ever sits i ride it daily and one day it just stopped catching.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Might need to tighten your clutch cable. ?

If a clutch is slipping you would want to loosen the cable to release the clutch fully,chances are it might be good for a short while ,long enough to read up on clutch replacement and decide whether it's something you can do or pay someone to do.

Why do so many people think that you adjust the clutch by adjusting the cable?

clueless people should not post advice

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So when i left for work this morning the clutch was catching fine the whole way there. It was fine 50% of the way home. Then suddenly just like before with no prior warning it starts slipping like crazy. I mean so bad the fastest i can go is around 60mph without it breaking loose. And just 30 seconds before it started slipping it was catching great. Enough to pull power wheelies on, which i only did once this morning :).

My work is only maybe 4-5 miles away. and there wasnt much traffic today on the way home. I spent the cash i had set aside for some new plates as i thought it was good to go for a little bit longer. Now suddenly its worse then before???? Can someone tell me what the hell is going on? Are the plates fried? And if so how were they able to catch so well yesterday and most of today with no slipping at all.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Got to give credit where credit is due. I took your advice and adjusted my cable. Its not slipping anymore. Power wheelie in first just to test it afterwords.
I cant get the feel of it right though. Maybe my cable is bad?

How could it just suddenly need to be adjusted to the amount it needed to be? Its not like it ever sits i ride it daily and one day it just stopped catching.
maybe you need to adjust the clutch instead of fiddling with the cable

·
Registered
789 Posts
Clunky shifting and a slipping clutch? Time for my clutch mantra.
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=54588
Go through that before digging into the clutch.
what does "clunky" necessarily mean?
My clutch "clunks" into first on occasion, and sometimes when I shift up into second.

It definitely clunks each time I downshift into the 2, and 1 gears.

I'll need to make a video of this "clunking" on my bike to make sure I'm experiencing the same thing. maybe i'll see if I can get a vid this weekend.

I've adjusted my clutch already according to the Service Manual (which seems to closely tie together with A. Auger's clutch matra in the FAQ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts