Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took out my 03 svs on a ride and noticed that it felt the clutch was slipping, but after riding a couple more miles, i was able to fully release the clutch and it won't engage and it just sits there. What could it be?? :( WTF i tried to adjust the clutch cable by turning the lock nut by the clutch. Now I've tried to do this http://bolty.net/2010/09/22/how-to-adjust-the-clutch-lever-freeplay-on-your-sv650/

and when i tried to start up the bike it won't start!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Clutch slipping + no movement = need new fiber and metal plates.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
you shouldn't need new clutch plates with so few miles on the bike, unless it's been abused to the point of burning then up.
look for andy auger's clutch mantra on this site and that should solve your problem. (if you have an owner's manual the procedure is there, but andy goes into great detail, good write-up.)

for starting check the two wires near the clutch lever, they may have come unplugged when you were adjusting the cable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried doing Andys's clutch mantra (#1 on the list) but after I loosened the locknut and tried to screw out the adjusting screw, both the locknut and adjusting screw loosens at the same time ( i think the locknut is threaded wrong) and when i tried to hold down the locknut and turn the adjusting screw with the screw driver, i keep slowly stripping the ajusting screw. Can i just go to the store and get the same thread size etc or will i have to speical order it? Sorry for being a noob.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
the ajusting screw. Can i just go to the store and get the same thread size etc or will i have to speical order it? .
i don't know if it's a special size or not, but if a new screw/nut doesn't thread in, you may want to get a whole new adjuster mechanism. in any case, if you take the mechanism apart, which i did once to clean and grease, watch out for the tiny ball bearings which will tend to fall out.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
oh the bike has 28000 miles not kms.
barely broken in, the SV clutch is very robust, unless you have abused it (high rpm slipping to do burnouts & wheelies) it should easily last 100,000 miles

don't become a cable fiddler as the link in your first post recommends, it is NOT how you adjust the clutch, clutch adjustment and cable freeplay are 2 different adjustments and before you adjust the freeplay, first you MUST have the clutch adjusted correctly,

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I tried doing Andys's clutch mantra (#1 on the list) but after I loosened the locknut and tried to screw out the adjusting screw, both the locknut and adjusting screw loosens at the same time ( i think the locknut is threaded wrong) and when i tried to hold down the locknut and turn the adjusting screw with the screw driver, i keep slowly stripping the ajusting screw. Can i just go to the store and get the same thread size etc or will i have to speical order it? Sorry for being a noob.

your not doing it right, you need to hold the pushrod from turning after you have it positioned correctly with a screwdriver while you tighten the nut with a wrench

1 - 9 of 9 Posts