Discussion Starter #7
stranger....unblock me man.

So slipping the clutch is good right?

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
stranger said:
depends. wanna loop your bike? just ask wonderjosh
hey that had nothing to do with dumping the clutch!

but, no.. looping bike hurts... your ass, and your wallet ;D

N

·
0 Posts
Slipping bad, at least most of the time. Slipping is when you release the clutch v e r y s l o w l y , with more revs than you usually would use, like if you were trying to get going on ice or wet grass. Slip it too much and you'll wear out and or overheat the clutch.

:)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
nothing wrong with slipping a wet clutch whith some limits, meaning don't rev it to redline and start out in 6th gear, I slip mine a LOT but not to wheelie or with a big differential in engine & wheel speed, meaning its ok to slip a wet clutch when downshifting at high rpms and its ok to slip clutch at low speeds. maybe the amount I slip my clutch shortened its life some, but I got 102,000 out of the original clutch so I'm not concerned with a few miles of clutch life i might have lost

dumping a clutch will warp things quicker than slipping one

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Slipping your clutch isnt always just slowly letting it out, in the dirt bike world it's often used to maintain power in low speed situations, but that is the cause of a small 2-stroke powerband. I don't find myself using that technique much on the street as most street bikes have more than adequette power to not require slipping.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
evilbologna said:
Slipping your clutch isnt always just slowly letting it out, in the dirt bike world it's often used to maintain power in low speed situations, but that is the cause of a small 2-stroke powerband. I don't find myself using that technique much on the street as most street bikes have more than adequette power to not require slipping.
right, i mean i think most of us do that when creeping through traffic at 2mph or whatever

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
wonderjosh said:
right, i mean i think most of us do that when creeping through traffic at 2mph or whatever
I think ya have to at 2mph, with my clutch all the way out it put-puts at 7mph. Someday I'll be the grand champion of slow races at a record .1mph.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
evilbologna said:
I think ya have to at 2mph, with my clutch all the way out it put-puts at 7mph. Someday I'll be the grand champion of slow races at a record .1mph.
lol, 2mph was a guesstimation :p

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I think I read somewhere in the owners manual that you should not operate the SV at speeds under 12mph with he clutch fully engaged, its likely that with a load that under that rpm that you would be going 12mph i 1st gear, the oil pressure is not sufficiend to properly lubricate the bearings

yes, I slip clutch all the time in slow riding, I took my Sv on single track trail once for over 40 miles, who sez the SV can't be used as a dirt bike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts