Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so when I bought this bike the kid said he had to put those 2 wires together to make it start.. (the 2 on the left hand control that plug into the switch under the clutch lever).. So when I replaced that busted up hand control I have to jump those 2 wires to make it start just like before..

In all my time working on bikes I've never had a problem with this switch so I don't even know what it is or does..
What is it.? what does it do.? and who has a new one for me.?

ALSO, what does the 7k tach reading mean (without bike running of course) It read that when I turned the key to check my new headlight out, the gas tank was still off at that point.. Once I put the tank on no more 7k reading..

Thanks for any help.. -Joe

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
Hi Joe,
That switch keeps you from starting the bike in gear and falling on your a$$. It's in line with the starter relay, so if the clutch is not pulled in, then the starter motor will not energize.

You can disable it like the previous owner did by just twisting the leads together, or you can buy a new switch from the dealer if you like the protection it offers.

I don't know what your 7k tach reading means.

Cheers!
-TeeRiver

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool deal, thanks for the info.. So buying a new one was the right move then, got one on the way from another member.. The bike was definitly in neutral when trying to start it so switch is faulty.. Thanks again, the fact that its not something more is a relief..
-Joe

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
Hi Joe,
I found the answer to you 7k tach reading. Page 8-32 of the service manual says that if the battery has been disconnected for longer than 40 seconds, then the next time power is applied, the tach will do a one-time tach pointer reset.

Cheers!
-TeeRiver

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome!! thanks, that gives me a little more piece of mind..
-Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts