Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 03 SVS and noticed that sometimes I cannot get it in neutral and no... it's not because I'm a newbie. It simply with not 1/2 click. Also, I noticed when this happens if I have the clutch in, the bike still wants to roll forward a bit ??? After I go, I can shift up and down (90% of the time). Or it just starts working fine again if I turn the bike on/off a few times??? I think that's coincidence though.

What do I need to do to loosen the tranny up or does this happen from time to time?

·
Registered
745 Posts
The clutch has an adjustment right by the lever and the oil change is easy. All this should be covered in your manual and it can be downloaded online if you don't have one. Don't worry, none of this is hard. It's all relatively simple work. Let us know how it turns out.

Kevin

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Let me add that an important clutch adjustment is under the front sprocket cover. If the bike is new (how many miles?) you probably don't need to do this. For some reason this has come up a number of times recently. Remove the cover and you will see a lever arm with a lock nut and shaft with a screwdriver slot. Loosen the cable adjusters, loosen the locknut, leave the wrench on the locknut and turn the shaft with a screwdriver about 2 turns counterclockwise. Now turn clockwise until you feel some resistance. Turn counterclockwise 1/4 turn and snug everything up. Readjust the cables.

An oil change would be a good idea if the clutch feels like it's dragging.

All motorcycles that I have ever had contact with will sometimes balk going into first, even with fresh oil and the clutch properly adjusted. All you have to do is keep pressure on the shift lever and ease the clutch lever out. It will pop right into gear.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Side note - before adjusting clutch, bring you engine up to operational temperature. The friction zone seemed to slide as I was adjusting my clutch last time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts