Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and I searched the forums and didn't find anything on this, so I apologize if there is anything like this on here already. I hate to say that this is my first post on here :(

Okay, so to start off I have to say this: When I first got my bike, I found that the clutch was adjusted weird (at least to me and other bikes I have ridden) to where when I barely let off the clutch, the bike pulled forward and it was a bit harder than it should be to get into neutral, unless it was rolling. Well the other day my dad and I adjusted the clutch a bit to where its easier to get into neutral, but it would pull forward when I started it in first or when I popped it in first from neutral. I had it like that for a day or two (not much riding with it like that). My dad said that wasn't good, so we adjusted it to where it won't pull forward unnecessarily and it was easy to get into neutral (not as easy as before, but better than at first). I thought it was great, it was good to ride and everything else.... Until me and my dad went on a ride to pick up some stuff together, well me and him were messin around in our bikes and I realized something that scared me.. That when I revved full throttle while in 6th gear and it got past about 6kish rpms, it revved all the way up to about 9k to where I stopped it. I did it again a bit down the road to where I could, and it did the same thing in the same way. But we adjusted it back, but it's pretty hard to put back into neutral..

I'm really worried about this, since this is the most expensive bike I've owned. My dad seems to think that the previous owner (older guy, showed that he took very good care of it. We could tell, plus I get compliments on it all the time, people think its new. even it being an 05) found that the clutch was slipping, so he adjusted it to where it didn't do it anymore. I haven't found a single other problem with the bike besides that, and I've put almost 450 miles on it now. But any help to what exactly this is or what to do about it would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
same problem here.
First you have to be sure that you adjust the clutch at the engine
in the right way (manual explains it pretty good).
First time i tried to mess with this, the result was a very slippery clutch.

I did some experiments with the adjustment, blah blah blah
and the bottom line is that
when the engine warms up for good (88c / 190F)
neutral is hard to find.

Maybe, changing clutch disks or just replacing clutch spings
fixes the problem,
but i can live with that for now :)

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
cable adjusters really have nothing to do with clutch adjustment, not even fine adjustment,

they adjust the clutch cable only
He was originally talking about the clutch engaging too early for this comfort. So my thought process was he adjusted it there. Then it got all wacky and he kept tinkering with it instead of doing the real adjustment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've adjusted it at both areas, but I should probably check the manual... Why I didn't in the first place, I don't know. Is being a teenager a good excuse? Haha :dontknow:
Sucks to see someone else with the problem, but glad to see I wasn't the only one to fix it wrong at first.. So does that mean it's not that big of a deal? Just adjust it right and it should be alright? But thanks everyone for the tips and advice, you're great :D Glad to be a part of the community, maybe one day I can help somebody myself? But tomorrow I will definitely try out everything and post how it worked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to post again, but I know this might be a dumb question... But can you burn out a clutch on these bikes? I know much more about cars than motorcycles, and I'm more of a car nut than a gearhead, soo that gets me nowhere on real mechanics.... Planning on learning all I can about bikes, so bear with me a bit in the meantime -.- But oh yeah Trace33, that's exactly what had happened from what I can recall.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
^A clutch on anything can burn out. You have what seems like low miles, but I have seen clutches burn up quicker. Hate to say it, but its usually due to the rider. But the good news is that they are cheap and easy to change (a bit easier on first gen, but still easy for 2nd).

If you follow the manual to a T and get the clutch adjusted per factory spec and it still will slip, you pry have a toasted clutch. Still no way to be sure until you pull the clutch cover and check out the fibres and steels. Most people love the OEM clutch fibres, for customers I usually went with KG Clutch Factory.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
He was originally talking about the clutch engaging too early for this comfort. So my thought process was he adjusted it there. Then it got all wacky and he kept tinkering with it instead of doing the real adjustment.
you cannot loosen the clutch friction point with the cable, you can only tighten it (make ie slip)

the clutch itself has to be adjusted before you even think about the cable

everything has to be done in proper order

loosen all cable adjustments before you attempt to adjust the clutch

once you have the pushrod adjusted correctly, then and only then do you adjust the cable

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^A clutch on anything can burn out. You have what seems like low miles, but I have seen clutches burn up quicker. Hate to say it, but its usually due to the rider. But the good news is that they are cheap and easy to change (a bit easier on first gen, but still easy for 2nd).

If you follow the manual to a T and get the clutch adjusted per factory spec and it still will slip, you pry have a toasted clutch. Still no way to be sure until you pull the clutch cover and check out the fibres and steels. Most people love the OEM clutch fibres, for customers I usually went with KG Clutch Factory.
Oh, I gotcha, so it had to have been the previous owner.. He put the most miles on it, plus I have been used to driving manuals (never drive automatics anyways), so I shouldn't be the one who messed it up? Nevertheless, I will do all that and hopefully it isn't a fried clutch -.- But thanks for pointing me in the right direction if it is messed up, I wouldn't know the best place to go for it..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts